Line 6 DL-4 Volume Drop

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by clothwiring, Jul 5, 2006.

1. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Does anybody know of a fix for the DL-4's volume drop that we at home can implement?

2. jbro

jbro Member

..Don't use true bypass mode?

I've never seen a DIY fix for the volume drop problem.. just the Keeley mod.

3. vorvick

vorvick Member

I used to get the volume drop with the MM4 - I put in an Axess buffer and that took care of the problem. (I run an MM4 and DL4 in the same chain.)

You can also split to a second amp, and there's an ISO'd tuner out.
    http://www.axess-electronics.com/

4. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Yes, use a different pedal. :rolleyes:

Only partially kidding....

The much bigger issue with me is the obvious digitization of the sound. But that slight volume drop is unacceptable as well.

Don't mean to be a hater.... :JAM

5. Leb

Leb Member

It can be solved using the true bypass mode.
    If u really want to use non true bypass mode, get the keeley mod.
    I am thinking of that too. :D

Leb

6. jbro

jbro Member

You've got that backwards.. the volume drop only occurs in true bypass mode - when switching the unit on, the volume drops signficantly. Using the "alternative bypass mode", the volume stays consistent because the signal is always going through the converters.

7. Leb

Leb Member

Are u sure? I thought i was the other way round.. cause afew days back i was using the bypass mode (when off the delay signal still ring until it fades off) and the signal and volume drop significantly. When i switch to the other the is no volume drop.

8. jbro

jbro Member

Positive.. try it both ways, then shoot a quick email to Keeley if you're unsure.

9. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

I wouldn't say the volume drop is significant at all. Maybe 1 db. However, I did still send mine in for the Keeley mod (not for the volume issue) and it came back with a volume BOOST when I turn it on. 3-4 db easy. I've been checking with Keeley for a coupl'a e-mails on this because I can't turn it on mid-song anymore without having to reach to turn something else down. 4 db is what I normally use for a solo boost, so it really screws everything up when I'm just trying to add some subtle delay to my rhythm parts. Argh! Otherwise the Keeley mod is fantastic. My best explanation is that it extends the fidelity while retaining the faux-analog feel. Nice stuff...as expected, of course, from Mr. Tripps.

10. chasyboy

chasyboy Member

Ditto on the volume boost....can be nice and a nuisance. But the mods do much more than just volume boost...much cleaner tones...and more headroom. I just wish the volume boost was just back to unity. I am really glad I did the Keeley mod to the MM4 but probably could have done without it on the DL-4.

11. jbro

jbro Member

That's interesting that his mod actually ends up boosting instead of achieving unity gain. I wonder if somewhere down the road Line 6 addressed the volume drop issue and now he's overcompensating. How old are both of your DL4's? I can only speak for mine (I bought it when they first came out, unmodded) - but the volume drop is definately significant. So much so that I can't use it in true bypass mode.. which means it doesn't get used much at all, unless I'm running a big pedal board and don't mind going through the converters all the time.

12. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Well I may have answer for the boost problem/blessing. I had my DL4 modded by Keeley as well and I confronted him about the problem because I prefer my levels at unity. Anyways, I was fiddling around and I put my DL4 to have the trails setting and WHAM total unity. I even Double checked it. Yep a volume boost when you put it in true bypass mode, but when you put it in trails mode, no boost. I figured it out tonight actually when I read about the trail setting (which I had no idea it existed). Now it's perfect and I am going to call Keeley to tell him I will not be sending my pedal for a custom repair. Try it and let me know if I am crazy. I definitely am super happy that I discovered it (accidently). Hope it helps. Try it out.

13. jbro

jbro Member

Yes... this is what I was saying originally.. a stock unit will do the same thing.

When you use the "alternative bypass mode" (the trailing delay mode), the signal is always going through the A/D and D/A converters (BAD) - so there is no volume change whether the unit is on or off.

It's when you use the true bypass mode that the volume changes occur. The problem is that the processed signal is not the same level as the bypassed signal. On the stock unit, the bypassed signal is louder than the processed signal, and it sounds like with the Keeley mod it's actually quieter (I have no experience with the Keeley mod).

14. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Sounds right. I am with jbro on this one. But I do not regret getting the mod. Now I am totally satisfied.

15. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

I saw this on another forum, the poster who gave this info was apparently Jorge Tripps.

16. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

Robert (Keeley) just replied to my inquiries and, while not as specific, confirmed the "simple" resistor swap to remedy the issue. Not brave enough to attempt this myself, I guess I'll send it back for the "repair" as long as I don't have to shell out too much more dough. :eek:

17. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Supposedly some of the Keeley mods were suggested by Mr Tripps.

18. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Hey, thanks for all the information guys! I'll be looking into the resistor swap.