Line 6 DL and MM Way Huge/Keeley Modifications

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Don Rusk, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

If you remember from the Tsunami auctions Jeorge Tripps did some 'Way Huge' mods on some Line 6 stuff....

Well Jeorge gave some mods to Robert Keeley and he will be doing them for the paying public......

RK is having an introductory price deal on them this first month ($100)

Mostly sound quality improvements........ but if you use either of these units alot it might be worth it......... its just the Delay and Modulation modelers for now........

Check Keeleys site for the full info :cool:

2. fractal

fractal Member

If someone gets the DL-4 mod, please post the results!

-Garrett

3. Stephen Davis

Stephen Davis Supporting Member

I am sending both of mine in tomorrow. I will try to remember to post the results.

Rabbit

4. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

i'm very excited about this. thanks for the post donner. i will probably send my dl-4 in next week (if i find i have the cash for it). i use that pedal more than any other pedal on my board (with the exception of my volume pedal, maybe). it is worth it to me to improve it the best i can. we shall see if i have the money to do it though. if so, results will be posted accordingly.

5. JPrisus

JPrisus Guest

If the mods have anything to do with the AD-DA converters, i'm interested... i hate the way those units mangle the original tone when engaged.

6. scottro123

scottro123 Member

Anyone know how expression pedal switch mod will work?

I'm not a major effects player, but like the MM-4 due to its simplicity and versatility. I prefer no effects, but keep this around to get through different playing situations.

Sounds like this addresses the biggest weakness of the pedal--volume drop issues. An improvement on the mods would be great too. I wouldn't expect boutique but if a few of the mods can match comparable boss stompbox quality I'd be quite happy.

I always wished Boss would make a direct competitor in their twin-pedal format, like the DD-20 vs. the DL-4. The DD-20 just seems cleaner and sturdier than the Line6 units. If the mod works as advertised though, I'll be quite happy.

7. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

I thinkRobert said he fixed the volume issue and the ability to use other settings issue when I saw him yesterday!

8. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

I dont have any of t he big modelers anymore, but I would sure send them in If I did................. I won the Tone Core Tsunami Space Chorus with the Way Huge mods and it sounds really good, better fidelity now than the Ibanez and Boss stuff I have....... yummy.........:cool:

9. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Does anybody have a schematic for the modifications being done to the DL-4 to fix its volume drop issue?

10. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I wish that included true bypass or a better buffer (it doesn't unless I'm missing something.) My main problem with the DL-4 is that it just kills the original signal, ye olde wette blankette effect. Yuk. The problem is even worse, for me, with the MM-4, because I use it less, so the uneffected signal is even more important.

11. fatback

fatback Member

try a bypass looper for the MM4

:AOK

12. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Can you tell me more about a bypass looper?

13. bombdizzle

bombdizzle Member

essentially you plug in the noisy pedal/tonesucker into the "loop" of another small pedal, and you completely bypass that effect in your signal. for instance if there's a part within a song where you want to turn on a delay, trem, phase, distortion, and filter (wow that's a lot of fx) at once... you could have them all turned on in your looper, but keep the looper bypassing that chain, then when you turn the looper on whatever is inside it comes out again. kind of a long winded explanation... hope it makes sense.

14. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Oh. So that's what those do. :eek:

I'll have to check into that.

15. Tardy

Tardy Member

Of course, you should realize that both the DL4 and MM4 by default are already true bypass units. The DL4 has an alternate bypass option that allows the echo repeats to trail off after you switch the unit off, but right out of the box they are all set for true bypass. An external loop device would not do anything that these units don't already do. In essence, you would be true-bypassing a true-bypass unit. What would be the point really?

16. entraind

entraind Member

Because there are alot of different ways to do true bypass circuits and, at least with my DL-4 and MM-4 (some people report that they sound fine bypassed) the bypassed tone sounds like ass and then you engage it and it gets worse w/ volume drops and, for me, there is a loss of midrange robustness. Of course I still like them for their flexibility and infinite array of sounds but it sure would be cool if the problems weren't there. I use them in a looper and the MM4 is off the board right now although I may put it back on again...

For those who do have the Keeley mods, what's the verdict? Are they worth 100$ to you?

17. MrHuge

MrHuge Member

Sounds like you got one of the ones with some caps after the switching...
    Here's the deal. At one point around May 2000 a few hundred (mostly) DL4's got out that had caps to ground after the true bypass switch... To make a long story short, they were put there to help with RF by unknowing engineers who didn't understand true bypass. DON'T GET ME STARTED! I caught this mistake and had thousands of them reworked to have the caps removed. you can look on the circuit board and see where these caps would go... The ref numbers are... C1,C36, C23, & C24...they're easily traced from the jacks. So, you need to have those caps removed if they are there!

As for the gain loss... that can be fixed by replacing R36 & R37 with a 24K value resistor... good luck!
    -Mr. Huge

18. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Mr.Huge mighty cool of you to let us know some of this wisdom which lies within the entity of you.

TheGrooveking

19. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

My thoughs as well.

20. Medication

Medication Member

Mr Huge, are you still out in Sherman Oaks? or was it Van Nuys?