• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Line 6 DL4: expression pedal will only change delay time (help!)

DaveinLondon

I've been trying to use my Ernie Ball VPJr as an expression pedal for my Line 6 DL4. I only want to use it to control the delay mix, inspired by how Kurt Rosenwinkel uses his in this video: http://web.me.com/actidemann/The_Kurt_Rosenwinkel_Blog/Podcast/Entries/2009/1/18_Kurt%E2%80%99s_pedal_board.html

I've tried following the instructions but whenever I save the settings, the pedal only affects the delay speed. When setting the pedal, the only knob I am turning between the heel up and heel down positions is MIX.

Any ideas? The cable is running into the output socket of the VPJr.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

pmtrub

I don't know about the DL4, but on my rocktron all access, I have to run a TSR (stereo) cable that splits into two TS cables plugged into both the in and out on my ernie balls.

Mincer

You don't have to do this on the erine ball, just a mono cable into the OUT. Make sure it is a 25k pedal too. I use the DL4/EB combo to control mix, so I know it works. Can it control other parameters, like repeats or tweak?

DaveinLondon

That's for the tip Jon. I hadn't tried that but I just did after reading your post. Unfortunately there was no improvement. I think I'll have to fork out for the Line 6 expression pedal and see if that solves my problem.

Mincer,
Is there any obvious way I can tell if my EB pedal is 25K? There's nothing obvious printed on the pedal itself. I bought it used some time ago without the original box.

pmtrub

You don't have to do this on the erine ball, just a mono cable into the OUT. Make sure it is a 25k pedal too. I use the DL4/EB combo to control mix, so I know it works. Can it control other parameters, like repeats or tweak?
Mine aren't 25k, and they work fine. Do they have to be 25k for the single mono cable plugged into 'out' to work? Just curious.

Thanks.

pmtrub

Do you save the presets you want in both positions on the EXP pedal?

(you probably already tried this but if you didn't)
Start in heel down and save the preset you want. Then push the EXP pedal forward and set the parameters exactly how you want them in that position, and save the preset again like you would normally, by holding the footswitch for (however many) seconds until it blinks a couple times. (sounds like you want the preset identical with just a different MIX setting) It should morph between those 2 settings now.

I always just used the regular Line 6 expression pedal. I've never used anything else so I wouldn't know, but maybe that's what's causing the problem if you already did what I said above?
Now that your original post has been edited I see what you want, and this is the correct answer. Works with Ernie ball pedals too.

steveb

That's for the tip Jon. I hadn't tried that but I just did after reading your post. Unfortunately there was no improvement. I think I'll have to fork out for the Line 6 expression pedal and see if that solves my problem.

Mincer,
Is there any obvious way I can tell if my EB pedal is 25K? There's nothing obvious printed on the pedal itself. I bought it used some time ago without the original box.
I'm using a crappy old Korg volume pedal, & it does what it is supposed to. I think it may have a 100k pot, but I'll have to check. Any knob position changes (except model type) can be stored with heel & toe down settings. In fact, all of the factory presets have some sort of differences set up for expression pedals. Flip though the different model types, & move your exp pedal up & down. You should hear the differences.

Also, try having the pedal in the heel down position when powering up. See if that helps.

I'm using the exp. pedal on "In The End" on the Suns of the Void MySpace (link below) site. At 0:33 I start playing single note lines, using the pedal to sustain the ending notes.

phazersonstun

The correct pot value for the line6 expression pedal is 10k.
Any other value will still work to some extent. but will not give you the full range of the pedals knobs.

As far as saving, you DO NOT set the heel down setting, save, then set the toe down setting & save again. If you do that, all you have done is create a preset, then over written it w/ another one.
You want to set the heel down tone, set the toe down tone, then save. thats it.

In regards to the delay time changing when all you want is for the mix level to change, don't base you setting off a factory preset.
What I mean is if you just turn to the tube echo stock setting, it is already programmed to change multiple parameters when you move the expression pedal.
So, if you just change the mix level in one position or another, you still have more knob twirling going on when you move the expression pedal than just mix level.

You have to reset al the knobs to where you want them, then just change the ones you want moved, then save. Hope this helps.

Mincer

Mine aren't 25k, and they work fine. Do they have to be 25k for the single mono cable plugged into 'out' to work? Just curious.

Thanks.
Well, if it is higher thank 25k, you get something more like an on/off switch rather than a smooth transition. THe line6 pedal is 10k, but I don't know of any other 10k pedals that are out there. The line6 one is kinda flimsy and tends to slide over the floor, but i hear they may be coming out with a new one.

Trending Topics