Line 6 DL4 MkII

jm9239

Silver Supporting Member
I try to be grateful that it's smaller. The main thing for me is the question of whether or not some of the algorithms like Auto Volume Echo still have the same behavior that make them so special. I'm all for progress. However, products that need to be redesigned do not usually need to be completely reinvented.

Redesigning a product starts with:

1. knowing who the users are
2. knowing how they are using the product and why
3. knowing which features they love and why
4. knowing what features are being underutilized and why
5. knowing what successful users like, what they don't like and what they want to see more of

If Line 6 have done their homework, I'm sure it's going to be fantastic.

Design teams are often married to certain existing ideas and features and it can be challenging for people to think outside the box when good solutions already exist. There can be a temptation to change or tweak everything. But while a redesign should leave your product feeling fresh, it should not lose its character and the user interface should remain familiar. It appears from the photos that Line 6 have kept the UI very much the same on the surface.

Users should never be left feeling like they will need to learn to use the product all over again when it's a redesign of a successful product.

New features are usually launched in a test environment first and evaluated on a continual basis. Having access to real world users that you can invite to become involved in testing is key here. Especially those who are extremely familiar with the original product and it's many benefits and it's shortcomings.

When redesigning, there can be a temptation to cut certain corners and this is never wise.
Users do not always like the idea of changes to their favorite products, or the idea of having to relearn to use their favorite tools. A product redesign can alienate and lose users if it's not done well. A redesign ultimately is an opportunity to re-engage users, getting them to invest further, and maybe even recommend the product to others, increasing the user base with new users.

Onboarding new users to a DL4 MKII might start by highlighting well adored aspects of the original pedal that have been kept the same, such as the signature one of a kind sound of the Loop Sampler, the Auto Volume Echo's envelope filter swell response action and sound quality of it's delays, and the other well loved "pet sounds" of the DL4.

In order to make a launch successful, it is a good idea to start with a soft launch, releasing the product to preferred users to test before releasing to the community as a whole.

It is still ugly. Like, really ugly.

gjhardwick

Looks like a couple of stores in the UK have reduced the price of the mk1 DL4, presumably to shift some units before the Mk2 gets its official announcement.

Hopefully a new feature on the Mk2 DL4 Looper will be ability to control the overdub level like you can do with the Helix loopers

Digital Igloo

View attachment 543105 View attachment 543106
I just got this email from Line 6. I’ve been thinking more about this sale. I know it’s standard operating procedure, of course, but I can’t help feel it’s a *tiny* disingenuous of Line 6 not to say something about the fact that if you wait a month or so a brand new one is coming out.

I don’t know about you, but even with $50 off, if I didn’t frequent boards such as this, I’d be a bit perturbed if I bought this DL4 today thinking I got a great deal and then tomorrow got an email from Line 6 “DL4 MARK II NOW ON SALE!”

Okay, rant over. Lol.
FWIW, I don't disagree. I think it might have more to do with DL4 parts being discontinued, but the optics on the timing probably could've been better.

hugbot

More people have the infamous guitar player issue now.

The models are:

vintage digital/digital

crisscross/digital w mod

euclidian/echo platter

dual deal/stereo

pitch echo/ping pong

adt/reverse

ducked/dynamic

harmony/auto vol

glitch/lo res

elephant man/analog mod

Adriatic/analog

multi pass/sweep

cosmos/multi head

transistor/tape

heliosphere/tube echo

Guitar Magic

The models are:

vintage digital/digital

crisscross/digital w mod

euclidian/echo platter

dual deal/stereo

pitch echo/ping pong

adt/reverse

ducked/dynamic

harmony/auto vol

glitch/lo res

elephant man/analog mod

Adriatic/analog

multi pass/sweep

cosmos/multi head

transistor/tape

heliosphere/tube echo
Curious about the Auto Vol and Korben Dallas Multi Pass modes

What about Loop Sampler?

LordByron

The Dude abides!

The models are:

vintage digital/digital

crisscross/digital w mod

euclidian/echo platter

dual deal/stereo

pitch echo/ping pong

adt/reverse

ducked/dynamic

harmony/auto vol

glitch/lo res

elephant man/analog mod

Adriatic/analog

multi pass/sweep

cosmos/multi head

transistor/tape

heliosphere/tube echo
Ok, I’m officially in the “Shut up and take my money!” Zone.

Crazyquilt

The Fool
Gold Supporting Member
I have less than no need for one, but the nostalgia hit may be too much to dodge. It looks like an abbreviated original; what else would anyone expect? It's always been an ugly pedal, and green is far from my favorite color, but the pedal was SO GOOD that it just didn't matter. Eventually, I went from the DL4's looper to a Boomerang+ and never looked back.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom