Line 6 DL4 reliability?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zeppelinpage4, Feb 22, 2009.

1. zeppelinpage4

zeppelinpage4 Member

Went in for the DE-7 but I found this used somewhat beat up looking green pedal for $140, with original box and line 6 adapter.

If anyone read my initial thread asking about delays, I was looking for something that could get modulation and long ambient drones. This seems to fit the bill for that and I had some fun with the loop function (though it hasn't been all that user friendly). Other than that i'm really liking the pedal...very spacey.

Only I am worried about the reliability of these. Since i bought used, I have no warranty from Line 6 and the store will take no returns after one week. So if a switch fails on me or this stops working i'll be broke and have no pedal.

Should I keep it? I like it and the price was a steal but it would be a little risky at the same time if something were to go wrong.

Edit: I have no idea how old this is, there is a serial number but i'm not quite sure how to interpret those...
    (21)DLM015420001017

Maybe it's from 2000? Looks to be in decent condition either way.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  2. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I've had one forever and never had any issues with it at all. It's also extremely easy to use on stage as well. Just find the type of delay you want, tap the tempo and hold down the button to save it. You should be fine :)

3. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

Never seen much go wrong. Occasionally we'll get one with a bad switch, can happen to anything.

4. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

I've heard some pretty ridiculous stories of the DL-4. Everything from switches popping out to the unit smoking up. But from these stories that I've heard, I have a theory (and it's only a theory) that a large reason why so many DL-4s come out unreliable is because it is not properly taken care of. A lot of people tend to not power the unit properly (ie. using a One Spot adapter) and the unit results to failing. The biggest problem in terms of reliability that comes up with the DL-4 are the switches (since they are somewhat cheap). Otherwise, most DL-4s work fine and don't have problems. Mine has been with me for over 2 years and have yet to experience a problem.

5. storm319

storm319 Member

I have had mine for 2 years now with no problems. A friend of mine has had one for 6 years and only had a switch go bad. I think most of the problems happen when people use them in a line level effects loop which most pedals arent designed for anyways.

6. rockinfreak

rockinfreak Member

I've got 5 years under my belt with my beat up DL-4 and I've only had a switch pop out once. It would seem that they get unscrewed over time and you just have to turn em a bit to lock em back in.

7. airforce_brian

airforce_brian Member

I've had a DL4 for almost two years now and have never had a problem with it. I power mine with the Pedal Power 2 from one of the L6 outputs.

On thing I have noticed with it that pisses me off though is the volume drop. I'm seriously thinking about getting it modded to get rid of that. Other than that though I love it.

8. GloryJones

GloryJones Member

keeley does a great mod to correct the volume drop. it also cleans up the sound a bit..an expensive mod but worth it for the volume drop alone. i've read a lot of reviews that the pedal is unreliable, however countless musicians continue to swear by it. as long as you're not gonna be throwing it around between gigs you should be straight

9. NBarnes21

NBarnes21 Member

I also bought one that was beat to **** and it worked great. I've also heard stories about people going through 3 new ones in a year, so my guess is that if you've got one that's already been used a lot and still works then you're probably good. The switches might be the first to go out, but those are easy to replace.

10. zeppelinpage4

zeppelinpage4 Member

Alright thanks for all the replies guys, i'm feeling alot better after reading this thread.

Since I got the power supply I don't think that will be a problem but I did not know about the FX loop though. I've been running it in the loop of my Classic 50 for the last day or two, could any damage have been done? Or is it a long term effect?

I moved it to my regular guitar chain now.

11. Shnook

Shnook Member

I've had mine 8 or 9 years now with no problems.

12. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

I've also heard of countless musicians keeping upwards of two or three backups in case they all decide to breakdown at a gig. I'm pretty sure that Vinny Accardi of Brand New always had 2-4 around because of the reliability.

13. lifele55

lifele55 Member

I guess I'll be keeping my DL4 powered using the power supply to prevent it going bust then..

14. archives

archives Member

Dave Knudson (Minus the Bear) has 4 on his board, but I'm not sure how many backups he has.

edit: wiki says he has 3 backups.

15. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Mine went bad, and all it did was sit in my bedroom w/ line 6 adapter powering it. It lasted just over a year this way. Unexplainable breakage is common, but so is years of service.

16. CarbonArc

CarbonArc Member

Moving higher up the west coast - now 4 hrs inland
    Like LolaViola my DL4 also died after about a year of gentle care and using only the Line6 power supply. That unit was purchased just after they were first put on the market.

One theory that might explain the failure in my case was that I tried using it in an effects loop. I've read that DL4s were designed for instrument levels only. I don't really know if that's true though.

Line6 (not a service center) did eventually install a new circuit board at their cost even though the unit was over 5 years out of warrantee. I've had the repaired DL4 over a year now - so far so good.

17. Mincer

Mincer Member

Ive used mine with a 1 spot for 5+ years, no problem (and 5 years before that with the L6 power supply).

18. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

I wanna get one, what's a good used price for one of these bad boys.

19. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

OK, so I've long wanted a DL4 for delay/looping purposes (NOT in the effects loop), but....3 questions:

1. Will powering it with my 1-spot kill it?
    2. Does it come with a warranty?
    3. Has reliability improved with the newer models (I'll be getting a new one)?

Thanks guys!

20. drod2045

drod2045 Member

ive ehard the new ones have been updated to be more reliable. pretty sure it has a warranty. and pretty sure a 1 spot is fine. make sure you get the right cable for it though.

I bought one used. no problems at all. I use it in my effects loop - which is instrument level. love it.