Line 6 Echo Park: anybody like it? have it? use it? dont?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by davidkiddmusic, Nov 24, 2005.

1. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

just looking to see if this thing is any good. for $150.00 looking to see if its worth anything.

Let me know guys. Thanks.

2. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I use on in a switch looper and I like it. I use a PP II to power it. Contact Full Compass for it, they sell them for about $122.00 or so.

Here's a pic of my set up, I'm not trying to show off just saying IN THIS, the EP works well for me. Lots better than the Micro Verb I used for years.

[​IMG]

3. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

it sounds pretty good but has some quirks, like most line 6 products. it is really heavy and eats 9v batteries like there is no tomorrow. the different delays sound good but some have a noise problem. i have heard you are supposed to remove the 9v battery if you use a power supply and this helps.

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Well *some* people have had noise problems with it…

At least 4 of my professional guitarist friends use it (including myself) and have had no problems with it. Love it actually. I’ve not actually heard one with noise problems. You should get one from one of the money back guarantee places and try it with your rig. If it works like it does for me and others, you’ll be rewarded.

IMO, you add up all its features, sound quality, tap tempo and portability it’s the best delay on the market FOR A LIVE PLAYER. In disclosure, I make recommendations through the prism of a gigging player. The ultimate delay IMO is the Fulltone TTE but last I saw it was close to a $K (and no tap tempo).

Yes I FEEL the Echopark is worth it. But you can see me “singing its praises” all over this board.

Good luck.

5. madsr

madsr Member

love the echo park...especially the ducking feature..mine is not noisy either... one pedal I had that was real noisy was the zvex sho...lots of noise with that..but the echo park is very quiet and a killer delay pedal..don't think about using batteries though, it will eat them in under an hour in my experience.

6. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

I played one last night. I thought it was pretty crappy. It had a lot of features but not a single REALLY great delay. Most of them sounded decent though.

Ironically, after trying that, I plugged up a Verbzilla and thought that the one echo feature that it had sounded better than any delay on the Echo Park. Of course, it doesn't do the crazy infinite repeats, but if you just use it for a little flavor, the regular echo on the Verbzilla sounded way better to me.

The EchoPark sounded okay, but realistically, how many of those options are you really going to scroll through at a gig, on a dark crowded stage, between songs, with drunk people all up in your personal space. I think it's a good idea on paper, but way to "gadgety" for real life applications.

Contrastingly, I found the Verbzilla to sound far superior and have a much more straight forward feel. That, and changing the models kept the tone similar enough that you didn't have to totally rework your settings. The Echo Park was the exact oposite, every model sounded so different that virtually none of the settings apply so you have to stop and rework the whole pedal setup. I mean, I guess if you practiced your settings and knew how to find them in a timed situation, you might do okay. Or if you play gigs where only a couple of sets are required and you knew what you wanted it to do, it might be okay. But for somebody who goes by feel, I definitely wasn't feeling that pedal.

7. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I'd love to buy one, one that doesn't hiss that is. I know that "good" EP's exist, 'cause a number of players have 'em. I exhausted my local dealer's supply of 'em last year and not one was quiet - all were absurdly hissy.

Now Line 6 says (see my recent post on this) that they've fixed the problem on "newer ones". Line 6 won't/can't say how to identify a "newer one" so I am not sure if my local dealers have "newer ones". Not worth the hassle.

On a related delay topic, my Deluxe Memory Man is out to Howard Davis for mods and I am using my back-up, a DigiDelay. I've gotta say, the DigiDelay is one great freak'in delay. I forgot just how good it is!

jakeddy:
    Full Compass has PPII's for $120??

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Just curious, what pedal you think is a "REALLY great delay"?

(besides the echo on the Verbzilla)

9. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Depending on your setup. I'd say find something else. Agree that for the $$ this thing is packed with features but the noise was unaceptable. Its a pain in the but to try to get it to run quietly. It weighs a TON, built like a tank. Found the tap tempo to be a little tricky with the secondary stage in the on off of it.

I loved the features but the sound quality/noise level made it go on the block within a couple months of ownership.

Good luck either way with your delay search.

RC

10. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

"Good luck either way with your delay search."

Again, it'd be great to know what you guy's prefer, so the guy (and the rest of us) can have an idea of alternatives you prefer. Not just say its "pretty crappy" and that's that...

Thanks

11. JC-Tonequest

JC-Tonequest Supporting Member

I really like mine. I like alot of the sounds better than the DL-4. I sold my DL-4 after purchasing the Echo Park.

12. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

There are units with noise problems, but some of that had to do with specific amps. Line6 has addressed the issue and the newer units have been modified accordingly. I got one of the very first units and have never had any noise issues with my setup - quiet as a mouse.

So it's important to understand that NOT ALL of the units have noise problems - it's related to use with certain amps and setups.

As far as other pedals in this price range and with this level of quality, nothing comes close to the features and flexibility. And I find it very easy to tweak on the fly.

I disagree completely that the delays are "crappy". I directly compared it to the delays on my tc G Major and they were just as good if not better.

The Tap Tempo is very easy to use. You have to press harder to turn it on/off, so the Tap Tempo requires a lighter touch, which is simple to master in a few seconds.

I'm replacing my tc G Major setup with the Echo Park and Verbzilla, along with a Boss CE-20 Chorus/Ensemble. What a phenomenal combination - especially in stereo!

13. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

Well lets be honest here. Its seems that there has been a noise issue with these pedals in the past. No way to tell after spending $150 if you're gonna get one that has an issue or not. Some have issues with some amps; others not. That points out inconsistency right there.

To me, thats not a really smart buy. I'm holding out for better. Thanks for the replies guys.

dk

14. oxtone

oxtone Member

I like the Echo Park, and have not had any noise problems with it, but it does have a slight volume boost when I engage it. However, I like that about it. I power it with a VL PP2, and no problems. I also use a DD-20, which sounds excellent, and is very quiet and transparent.

I doubt the average listener at a gig can really hear the difference between a good delay, or not so good delay. Unless the audience is full of guitar players...:D

That said, I've heard that the Fulltone Tube Tape Echo sounds AWESOME!!! I'd like to try one through my stereo Boogie rig...:p

15. Legend

Legend Member

It's not like you couldn't easily return it if you got one with a noise problem. The echopark I have right now is quiet as a mouse with every amp I use it with, from the loop of a Triamp MKII or Orange Rockerverb, to in front of various new and old fenders, I have no noise issues. I did return one that did. Not that big of an issue, took all of what, 15 minutes?

I don't think you can find a "smarter buy" then the echopark when youre talking $ compared to features. To the poster that said they found the echo park to be impractical, switching modes, I have no clue why you would feel this way. I use various different modes of the echopark within the same song and have no problems with it, let alone between songs. What settings did you find that you needed to adjust controls when switching between? If anything maybe I'll raise or lower the delay level a little when going from far out spaced out ambient delays, to a more traditional style delay, but I don't see what's very difficult about that. I find the echopark to be a great live delay tool. I do also use a DM-2 in conjunction with it, but more for a reverb type of sound and for crazy self oscillation madness.

16. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

That's interesting, since I sold my DL4 due to the volume drop I experienced with some of my favorite settings (Echoplex). Aarondavis, you steered me in the right direction with the Eternity, so now you've got me wondering about this pedal....:rolleyes:
    I'm using a Digitech Digidelay, which sounds good IMO, but the tap tempo is awkward to use and I do miss some of the features of the DL4, but I couldn't deal with the volume drop.

17. madsr

madsr Member

I have heard stories on this forum only of the noise issues with the Echo Park..but mine is also quiet..no noise issues whatsoever..also I love the features and can set them anyway I like in seconds..the tap tempo also is easy to master..the only thing I don't like on the pedal is the modulation dial..if this dial is inadvertently turned it will screw with the sound..but overall the delay sounds are great..I have used mine with a mesa boogie f100..fender hot rod deluxe..fender pro jr..and most recently a peavey delta blues..both seperately and in various combinations with no noise issues..

18. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

"I did return one that did. Not that big of an issue, took all of what, 15 minutes?"

With all due respect, not everyone is 15 minutes from a dealer - I am not - not even close. Add to that the time it took to audition 6 more EP's in the store, all of them sucked, noise-wise. Way more than 15 minutes - and a total waste of time. Also consider those of us who buy from online etailers - what a pain to do a return!

That said, this is a year later and if my local dealer were to break out every EP they have and start auditioning them and find one that is not noisy, I'd buy it!!

The sticking point here for me, and for a number of burned customers who wasted more than 15 minutes, is that a product was brought to market by a major company that was simply unusable for many of its customers, certainly not the majority, but still too many IMHO.

19. devbro

devbro Member

I like mine and have not noticed any real noise problems. I too heard that L6 fixed the problem in later versions.

Here's a way to check the version of your pedal according to http://www.muzique.com/line6.htm.

Plug a cable into pedal input to power it up
    Unplug cable
    Press footswitch through the second switch and hold it.
    Plug cable back into the input and count the number of red and amber flashes.
    RED = 1.0
    AMBER = 0.1+
    So, v1.2 would flash Red (once) then two Amber flashes. A version 1.0 pedal only flashes once Red.

20. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

devbro:
    Thanks man. I remember reading about this a year ago.

Anyone want to post their versions? Particularly anyone with the "newest version"?

Thanks!