Line 6 Echo Park Delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Troubleman, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Greetin's:BEER ,

Anyone out there have experience/an opinion on the Line6 Echo Park Delay? I know it received rave reviews in Guitar Player mag, but I've heard not-so-good things about reliability when it comes to its big brother, the Line6 DL4 Delay Modeler. Presently I'm using a Maxon AD-900. It sounds great, but its features are limited to say the least.

Thanks in advance,

Peace,

jb

2. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

Great delay for the money.

I haven't had any noise issues with either of the ones I've owned. Very well built, heavy (but I think most of the weight is in the baseplate). The only thing I don't like is the footswitch. Press lightly for tap tempo, give it a fairly hard stomp for on/off. I'm not using the tempo feature, and switch the bypass, I find that I need to be considerately more deliberate with the L6 than with any other pedal I've used.

Still, a nice piece of gear. Should be able to find one for around $100 or less on the used market

3. Lution

Lution Member

I'm ok I guess with mine. Mine has a slight hiss when engaged (the hiss is always there if the trails switch is on) and I get a slight level boost when it's engaged as well.

That said, it is a pretty decent delay for the money. Seems to be built well and the three types of delay modeling make for some pretty creative sounds.

Lution

4. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i ordered one from MF after the noise issue was supposedly fixed. there was still some hiss but i could probably live with it if i had to. it is heavy for a small pedal and line 6 is not known for build quality and long term "hangin' in there". having said that, it sounded pretty good and had some neat features. i ended up returning mine because it was virtually unusable with 9v batteries. they only lasted about 15 minutes or so. had i known this going in i wouldn't have wasted my time.

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

If you run it with a dedicated power supply (which is a bother, I agree) it is a great pedal. Assuming you have one that isn't noisy, which I finally have after buying/returning 4 of them. It was worth the trouble for the tap tempo feature to me.

6. gearboy

gearboy Member

The tap feature is awesome. Haven't gigged heavily with it yet, so I can't comment about the reliability issue. I run it with an SKB45, and experience just a slight hiss, but I also run a Guyatone NR-2 noice reducer, so it's not an issue for me. The problem is that it does TOO much! I have like 3 or 4 settings for it, but unlike Boss pedals, there isn't any place to put a piece of tape to write them down. Small problem I guess.......better than a one trick pony. Try one out....

7. Lammy

Lammy Member

I use it with a dedicated supply, why it even comes with a battery option is beyond me...the tap tempo is a great.

8. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

A bit of info on the noise issues please. I guess I came in late in the game. Guitar player gave 'em ooh-gobs of raves. I'd be using a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power2 to power it, so battery consumption isn't really an issue. The tap-tempo seemed like a cool feature to have. Presently I'm just using a Maxon AD-900 with a short sort of slap-back echo/delay (one pop). It's fairly warm sounding, which is really important.

thanks guys - really do appreciate it. I've been searching for a replacement for my beloved (but not very reliable - dang tapes!) Echoplex. That thing sounds awesome, but servicing one on a gig is a hassle. It's also somewhat temperature sensitive...

Thanks!

jb

9. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

You plug the noisy ones in, bypassed or not and you get "hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssss".

The quiet ones? You don't. Why? I dunno.

10. GuitarTek86

GuitarTek86 Member

I just bought a DL-4 last friday. it is KILLER! I think it would definately be worth the extra cash! my thought is it's always best to get the best gear you can for what you need. even if it's expensive. if it takes more time, you'll enjoy it more, and you'd have a hard time finding anything to upgrade to.

11. Craise

Craise Member

Scott, Did you buy yours from a store? new? or used? Is there a serial number on it? Maybe the ones at least with a higher serial number might be nosie-less? I'm very interested in this pedal but have been holding off to try and buy a nosie-less one off the bat. Where's Mr.Huge when you need him?

12. Lammy

Lammy Member

Does anybody's delay on tap tempo, suddenly slow down or speedup like you are twisting the "time" knob?

13. al carmichael

al carmichael Member

I've had mine for a month or so and I have used it on some gigs and a bit of recording. So far, I have really enjoyed the Echo Park. Noise has not been an issue--I bought the Line6 power adapter for it and its been good. I LOVE the tap tempo feature and the three models are each usable. Mostly, I keep mine set to "normal (tap=quarter note) and just vary the speed with my foot. Actually, I'm pretty much in love with the thing and I love the way it sounds. I prefer the tape and analog settings and I don't use much if any modulation on the repeats.

I sometimes wish it could store a few programs. Its not something you can set up precisely on the fly unless you memorize some knob twists. The special FX are cool, but I haven't used them yet. I may try some for some recordings.

I'm happier with mine than I thought I'd be--its my favorite echo pedal at the moment--small and sounds great.

14. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

some of the quietest units i've tried between mine and my friends still have a small hiss, but it's still a great pedal. i love that the analog,digital,tape and modulation is global unlike the dl4 where you can only tap in dotted eighths in the "time delay" setting... what can i say? i like u2 =)