Line 6 Echo Park - how and where can I get a good one that doesn't hiss?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by echo unit, Jul 21, 2006.

1. echo unit

echo unit Member

I have tried several of these at local retailers.

I want one. I love the delays in them.

But...they all emit this hiss noise when engaged, even if the mix control for the delay is all the way off?

Please help?????

Does anyone know if Line 6 has fixed this yet?

If so, where can I buy a good one?

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Took me 5 of them till I found the "one"; I used it with a Visual Sound "One Spot" for power.

I have since moved on to another delay (CMATMods Deelay); but there you are.

3. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Man I need to play the lotto, I lucked out bought two fo them at different times and both worked great, no problems.

TheGrooveking

4. echo unit

echo unit Member

Great.

I've tried 5 in less than a month's time up here in Canada. They all hissed like you wouldn't believe. What the ****!

How does Line 6 plan on getting away with this?

They have ruined thier reputation with dealers up here. I have been to almost every major dealer here in southern Ontario. They know about the problems because of all the returns and many retailers are stuck with these duds as the distributors refuse to take them back insisting that there is nothing wrong with them according to Line 6 and many of the other Tonecore pedals have the same problems. Many retailers up here are done with stocking Line 6 pedals and have switched to stocking Boss and Digitech which are both very reliable.

Echo Park could have been great but it sounds like those modelling nerds over at Line 6 have thier heads up thier butts because it sounds to me like they designed the pedal using an Amp modeller as a test amp instead of a real amp.

Most of us that really play and have a half decent ear will play through nothing but a tube amplifer as everyone knows that nothing beats a real tube amp. No matter how many years go by and no matter what technology becomes revolutionary, tube amps will always rule with electric guitars. Line 6 should have thought of the product called the Echo Park existing in a world outside of thier own.

I don't know anyone that owns a line 6 amp and I know a lot of musicians young and old.

5. rabbit

rabbit Member

I´m in the same boat. After 15 years of playing and buying gear - from the cheapeest to boutique stuff- the EP was the first unit I returned!

I love the EP and it would be the perfect match for my board (I´ve been searching for a small affordable but versatile delay for years) but, seriously, I will never ever buy one EP after another to finally find one that is not noisy!!! I´m done with Line6!

6. RickB

RickB Member

Run it with it's own power supply or a Pedal Powe 2 and you will be fine. All the people I have heard that had problems with them were due to the fact that they were daisy chaining them with One Spots and the like. The Tone Core's don't like to be daisy chained.

7. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

+1, I use a One Spot for everything else and a Boss adaptor all by it's self for the EP and have 0 hiss problems. Daisy chained is another issue.

8. exhausted

exhausted Member

i get hiss on the verbzilla and the echo park with both individual adapters and the PP2. :messedup

9. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

I bought mine from MF but I use the One Spot and get no hiss.
    Never noticed any actually but have always used One Spot.

10. Scott Peterson

Oversimplification, and at least in my case, totally incorrect.

I tried the Line 6 power supply that is built to run ToneCore pedals, the One Spot and the Power-All. Never daisy chained. I used it in front of tube amps, modeling amps and the POD XTL. Hissssssssssssssssssssssss.

Believe me when I say this, Line 6 is very aware of the the issue and it does indeed exist. The filtering on the power supply (in the pedal) is a bad design. There are work-arounds and fixes, but they cannot completely overcome the problem.

The trick is indeed finding ones that have minimal hiss, they do exist. But they are indeed the exception and not the rule. Or go my route, use a different maker's product for delay.

My speculation? Figure out when Jorge left and look at reasons he might have wanted to leave. If you spec something one way, and it the oversea's manufacturing doesn't do it to spec and doesn't tell you... well, there you are. That's just my hunch, not based on any facts; but it isn't hard to guess.

But it isn't too hard to look at what Line 6 did (releasing the modules seperately and allowing you to buy single or double "docking" ports (the base) - which is NOW redesigned and not as given to hiss.

11. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Heck, that sounds like me. Lots of GOOD ideas, just not much to prove it.

12. Vettavillenl

Vettavillenl Member

There are no double base 'docking' stations

There are some pedals that have new coding. You can check the coding version in store. (I don't have an overview of the latest versions on the different pedals). Here's how
    http://www.vettaville.nl/vvtonecore.htm#7

13. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

Scott, what did you go with for a delay pedal? I'm still using the EP and would like to find something different, but that tap-tempo is pretty key for my live rig.

14. echo unit

echo unit Member

Scott P,

When you eventually got a good one, did it hiss at all or was the hiss entirely gone?

15. oxtone

oxtone Member

I power mine with a Pedal Power II, and no hissing. The only thing I've noticed is a slight volume boost when engaged, but now I like that about it.

On the other hand, my Boss DD-20 Giga Delay is clean as a whistle! No issues with it whatsoever. Sounds great on the Tape, Analog, and Modulation settings.

16. echo unit

echo unit Member

what's the verdict? Has Line 6 solved the problam or should I look elsewhere for a good modulating echo ?

17. Scott Peterson

CMATMods Deelay. Love it.

18. Scott Peterson

Yes - it was 100% noise free. Very cool. Just didn't like the weight of it, it weighs a ton.

19. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

I must have lucked out. I got mine at a GC about a year ago, asked the guy behind the counter to give me the one with the latest s/n on the box, never had any hiss, nor volume drops or boosts.

I was also lucky on pods and DL4's, lots of folks a few years back had bad DL4s or bad power supplies, my DL4 always worked fine for looping or delay.

They do have weird form factors, and I don't doubt that certain units and/or configurations are causing this hiss that many have reported here, I just got lucky or have a configuration that didn't generate it.

20. echo unit

echo unit Member

Any updates on whether or not Line 6 has solved the Hissing and humming issues with the Echo Park?

Has anyone bought a new one recently and found there to bre any hissing or humming?

I love this pedal but cannot for the life of me find one that does not hiss.

Funny becauase I have a verbzilla that is totally 100% hiss free.