Line 6 Echopark: Mods out there for volume boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rawkguitarist, Feb 24, 2009.

1. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Brian Wampler? Jeorge Tripps? Anyone else out there? Is there a way to remove the significant volume boost from the Echopark when it's effect is engaged?

I know it's got surface mounted electronics, which make it more difficult but I'm willing to take it to a tech if I have too. Just wonder if anyone knows? Or does anyone know of a way to contact Jeorge Tripps to ask him?

I'm assuming this volume boost was their way to address the *volume DROP* on the DL4. But how about only a small boost or simple unity? Not what I perceive as a 7 to 10% increase. Since I usually use an 18 watt TopHat set as loud as it will go, but remain clean when I kick this pedal on it can cause some clipping *after* the delay and therefore bad effect artifacts.

2. jops

jops Member

Switch the trails off. Still a vol boost but not as bad.

3. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Member

I've tried every configuration of trails, dummy jack and I can't get rid of the boost. I really wish there was a mod for this! The tape echo and reverse are great--better than my Timefactor, but the boost makes it hard to use with either my TopHat or my Fenders.

Aaron, if someone sends you info please pass it on here. I know there are quite a few of us that are bugged by this problem.

I would think you would be able to adjust the gain in the dock for the effect-engaged signal. The module probably wouldn't be able to be modded. Anyone know?

4. IvIark

IvIark Member

A good way to do it without having to resort to modding the electronics would be to use a Boss LS-2 - and this will give you another big advantage as well. Put the Echo Park in loop A of the LS-2 and run a patch cable between the send and return of loop B, then set the LS-2 to A+B mix mode. Now set the mix control on the Echo Park to be 100% wet.

This effectively makes a little side chain meaning the Echo Park is only outputting delay repeats, and so your true analog dry signal isn't being digitized and passes around the pedal via the patch cable. You can then control the level of both wet and dry signal with the gain controls on the LS-2 and have it as loud or quiet as you like.

5. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Member

I though about a mixer pedal as well, but with a healthy 16-17 pedals on my board there is no room.

6. IvIark

IvIark Member

What type of board do you have, do you have any room underneath for power supplies? Because if you're looking for unity between the delay repeats and dry signal then the mixer is pretty much a set and forget so it doesn't have to be on display. Alternatively the Nobels SPX31 will do exactly the same thing as the LS-2 but in a smaller package, only downside is it's not footswitchable but that isn't really an issue as this will always be on.

7. afterburner

afterburner Member

+1. With the trails off, I don't have the problem anymore. But then again, I usually leave the delay on all the time.

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

That is an excellent suggestion IvIark, but my board is cram packed. I might be able to move some stuff around... It's just that the cables for my pedal power don't have much room for a pedal inbetween there.

[​IMG]

9. oxtone

oxtone Member

Personally, I like the slight volume boost when I engage the Echo Park. For quieter delay, I use my DD-20 Giga Delay.

10. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

IvIark, thanks for this suggestion. I did as you said... and it works perfectly. Picked one up off of ebay the other day and set it up yesterday. Now... it improved greatly how my rig sounds when using the Echopark. I did have to remove my Wah Probe, but I don't use it at ever gig and it has better reaction being on the floor.

And as said before, this pedal has so many other great applications... glad I got it.

You rule buddy! :dude

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  11. aziltz

aziltz Member

there's supposed to be a switch inside to turn off the boost. i think i heard it from the guy that rehoused his.

Here's Diode's statement:
    I'm not sure if he means the base or the module.

12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Yeah, I read that too. But I was an early adopter. I think mine might even be from the very first batch. And this option was only on the later pedals. Also, it actually sounds better not running my dry signal through ADA conversion.

13. diode

diode Member

Switches are on the dock. If you pop open the bottom of the pedal you'll see them on newer tonecores. I'm not sure if Line6 tells people this and if not...why not? The switches only reduce analog gain (bring it down to unity) when the effect is enabled. This doesn't cause you to go through an A/D conversion in bypass.

Looks like this is the solution for ya...sorry, time to put that old dock on ebay and pick up a new one. On a side note, I saw a blowout echo park for sale at a local guitar center for $69 yesterday.