Line 6 echopark vs Dl4

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fernandopareta, Jun 25, 2006.

1. fernandopareta

fernandopareta Member

Hi, I want to know what is the difference in sound between the DL4 and the echopark?
    I have a dl4 and I don`t like it because it change my original tone., Does the echopark do that too? excuses for my english

Thank you

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Hey man,

I don't use either. However, I have been involved in a lot of discussions involving these, and lots of people prefer the echo-park to the DL-4. Check one out!

3. landru64

landru64 Member

the echo park doesn't have as much of that annoying high end brittleness that the dl4 has. also, i think it sounds less like a toy, which is why i sold my dl4.

4. theirflowers21

theirflowers21 Member

I have a dl4, and for some reason it works through my Clubman. Through every other amp it "sounds like a toy" as landru64 said, so I guess I got lucky that it works with one of my amps :) I dont have any expirience with the echo park though. But I would try them both out with your setup if possible.

5. landru64

landru64 Member

i spoke to phil at matchless and the clubman has special toy-reduction circuitry.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

hehehe

7. theirflowers21

theirflowers21 Member

8. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I just worked on a recording with a guy who uses two echo parks...one for short and one for long delays. His sounded great.

Aside from using much less pedal board space, the echo park uses a parallel circuit....your original signal is mixed with the delayed signal instead of the whole signal being processed.

I have a DL-4 sitting in my "mistakes" box in a closet.

9. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I've owned the Echo park, and tested the dl-4 for a couple of days.

Both do significantly affect the general tonality of your guitar when engaged. To my ears the echo park boosts the signal and the Dl-4 slightly softens it. But what I couldn't stand was the fact that my tone was altered once the pedals were engaged.

In the end I left my echo park on all the time leaving lesser descrepancies in the tone.

I've sold it and since then acquired a boss dd20, much better imho.

But do check out the echopark it's a very nice delay pedal for the money, it weighs a ton but takes up lesser space freeing up more real estate on your board than a DL4.

10. ned911

ned911 Member

Look into the Keely mod's for your DL4, might be a better alternative.

11. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

Buy a BOSS DD-20 there no mistake in that. It sounds great and has more features than the dl-4 and is more musical.

Aj

12. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Do a search on the Echo Park. There has been a lot of discussion on it here. Good pedal except some have some serious white noise issues unrelated to power supplies. You may have to test a few.

13. fernandopareta

fernandopareta Member

thank you I`ll check it out, I use batteryes to power my pedals, so I think that I won`t have this problem.

thank you..

14. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

This seems to be the general consensus around here for digital delays. I am gonna have to pick one up now!!

15. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I've had a Keely DL-4, DD-20, EchoTap, Memory Lane, Replica, and Echo Park.

The Keely DL-4 sounds as good as the Echo Park. The Echo Park sounds better than an unmodded DL-4. Both are about the same as a DD-20 as far as tone suck and noise go. What am I using now...

* Three Echo Parks - mod delay, rhythmic (dotted eighth) delay, and lead delay.

I like these better than any of the others for the following reasons:

* Supports dotted eighth. DL-4 and Echo Tap don't.
    * Supports really clean (digital) rhythmic delay. For me, the Replica and Memory Lane were too warm sounding for this purpose.
    * Has a decent mod setting.
    * I can put one in my lead loop so I don't have to tap dance when I kick in the lead tone.
    * I can turn two on at a time to get exceptional volume swells. The DD-20 can't do this.
    * Tapping doesn't affect your sound. This is a big downside of the Memory Lane and Replica.

I'm going to try another Memory Lane for the mod delay spot. The E.P. is a lot smaller though.

John

16. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

So john, if you didnt need the volume swells would the DD-20 be the one to go for?

17. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

First off... DO NOT attempt to use the EP with batteries. :rolleyes: Why L6 even put the battery connection in the pedal is beyond me. I would say that it last's about 1 hour on a battery (if that...).

If you can deal with using a power supply with it, it's a KILLER delay. It sound's MUCH better than the DL4 (I have both) because of the parallel processing mentioned earlier in the thread.

Yes it does boost your signal a bit, which is a little annoying, but I've not heard any pedal that is extremely effective live (feature set) that doesn't affect your tone somewhat. Maybe the DLS Echotap doesn’t affect your tone (haven’t heard one) but it doesn’t have the feature set that the Eechopark has. There are some great analog delay’s out there (only one with tap tempo) but still analog delays are to dark for MOST applications IMO.

I still contend that when all Pros and Cons are considered, the Echopark is the best delay available.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

What are your settings??

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

+++1 on this, I have a DE-7 along with the echo park, I love the trails with the echopark, but, I'd like to have an analog delay for another dark delay setting of mine, don't know which one yet.

good luck

20. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

that the line6 delays do?