Line 6 Flextone arriving Today

Phishboy32

So i have a Flextone Plus that should be arriving today sometime weather permitting. I am real excited about the Flextone. The Spider line up has no effects loop. The Flextone Plus does. Since the Flextone Plus has no cabinet models i assume Cab emulation is included with the amp you select.

BillBee

Which version of the Flexy did you get - I, II, III? I would be sure to head to the L6 site for the manuals as there are cab models and you can read up on the editor for it. Your options do vary depending on the model but having a II plus and a III std they are both pretty nice (though I do wish I had just ponied up for the III XL tbh). A EQ pedal in the loop is one of the first things I suggest. Enjoy it!

Phishboy32

Which version of the Flexy did you get - I, II, III? I would be sure to head to the L6 site for the manuals as there are cab models and you can read up on the editor for it. Your options do vary depending on the model but having a II plus and a III std they are both pretty nice (though I do wish I had just ponied up for the III XL tbh). A EQ pedal in the loop is one of the first things I suggest. Enjoy it!
Just the Flextone Plus. I have an EQ pedal, so i will take that into consideration.

mbenigni

A EQ pedal in the loop is one of the first things I suggest.

Great recommendation - at least according to my experiences with the II. The feed from preamp to power amp section always seemed to me like it should have been a little hotter. (i.e. Running an equivalent POD into the FX return and juicing it a bit always sounded better than anything I could program into the Flextone II alone.) So anything clean and quiet that boosts signal will sound good in that loop, and the ability to sculpt EQ further is always a good thing. Multiband compression is effective there, too, if you can find something affordable and portable.

Not that any of this is necessary per se - the Flextones sounded pretty great out of the box, provided you like that smooth, dark, low-pass thing. (I do.) The cabinet and versatile speaker Line 6 chose went a long way.

Phishboy32

Great recommendation - at least according to my experiences with the II. The feed from preamp to power amp section always seemed to me like it should have been a little hotter. (i.e. Running an equivalent POD into the FX return and juicing it a bit always sounded better than anything I could program into the Flextone II alone.) So anything clean and quiet that boosts signal will sound good in that loop, and the ability to sculpt EQ further is always a good thing. Multiband compression is effective there, too, if you can find something affordable and portable.

Not that any of this is necessary per se - the Flextones sounded pretty great out of the box, provided you like that smooth, dark, low-pass thing. (I do.) The cabinet and versatile speaker Line 6 chose went a long way.
I have read that the Celestion line 6 speakers are really good. I have an old Digitech RP355 that i can use as a Cab simulator and EQ in the effects loop if i need to. I am so stoked. I just hope this Winter weather doesn't delay anything.

mbenigni

I have read that the Celestion line 6 speakers are really good. I have an old Digitech RP355 that i can use as a Cab simulator and EQ in the effects loop if i need to. I am so stoked. I just hope this Winter weather doesn't delay anything.

I think you're going to have a blast. Also: I can't speak to the Flextone Plus - maybe it's the same, maybe not - but the Flextone II featured one my favorite rotary sims of all time.

BillBee

I think you're going to have a blast. Also: I can't speak to the Flextone Plus - maybe it's the same, maybe not - but the Flextone II featured one my favorite rotary sims of all time.

The speakers in the Flexys are nice - and like Mbenigni sez - a modeler into the FX loop works really well. If you run direct into the loop you might have to put a dummy jack into the input - I say might as I might be confusing it with a TM 60 I have on the floor next to it, but keep that in mind. :)

While I did the Flex III - I needed something with a lil more oomph for a buddies party (no mic'ing for the PA) and the Plus let me use the extension cab to fill out the sound. Sometimes lugging the 4x12 out of the basement is not happening. Use speaker cables for the ext. cab if you get one btw.

Only the Flex III uses the newer FBV MK I & II so for the Flex II and below keep an eye out for the original floorboard - red digit display two exp pedals. There is a great FAQ at the L6 site as they have cranked out quite a few switching options and controllers over the years.

Phishboy32

I am not a big fan of Line 6 Rotary speaker models. The Boss RT-20 is what i use for rotary speaker. The line 6 Uni-Vibe model is awesome though. I use a POD HD500 for a few tones, and i have a Fuzz Face, Octave Fuzz, and Uni-Vibe model in one patch for those Hendrix type tones.

Phishboy32

The speakers in the Flexys are nice - and like Mbenigni sez - a modeler into the FX loop works really well. If you run direct into the loop you might have to put a dummy jack into the input - I say might as I might be confusing it with a TM 60 I have on the floor next to it, but keep that in mind. :)

While I did the Flex III - I needed something with a lil more oomph for a buddies party (no mic'ing for the PA) and the Plus let me use the extension cab to fill out the sound. Sometimes lugging the 4x12 out of the basement is not happening. Use speaker cables for the ext. cab if you get one btw.

Only the Flex III uses the newer FBV MK I & II so for the Flex II and below keep an eye out for the original floorboard - red digit display two exp pedals. There is a great FAQ at the L6 site as they have cranked out quite a few switching options and controllers over the years.
It comes with the FB4 and RJ-45 Cable so i have that taken care of.

mbenigni

The original (not Mk II) FB4 is a nice compact solution, too, if all you need to do is switch between channels. Fits right in the back of the cab.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Line-6-FB4-...644124?hash=item2a7876485c:g:fMkAAOSwnHZYY-TF

EDIT: Looks like you've beaten me to the punch LOL.

lspaulsp

Platinum Supporting Member
I've used a Flex III for years. Sounds best with some sort of clean boost in front. (Always on.)
It has no dirt built in so it's just added to the other dirt pedals in front.
Effects are hard to manage on the fly.

lspaulsp

Platinum Supporting Member
Here's a pic
images

Chris O

The original Flextones did not have Celestions, and they didn't have the "emulations" per se - they were "cooked in" to the amp models I suppose, but the cab/speaker emulations came with the original POD and then Flextone II. Since you're already playing thru a cab, really the only thing the emulations do are act as "tone color". Typically, I would shut off the cab/speaker sims any time I was running into a real cab.

I just got another Line 6 HD (original one) - probably the 4th or 5th time I've owned one. I love the damn things! I got it yesterday, plugged it in, and instantly smiled! They just "sing" to me. I run it through a Marshall 425a 4x12 with Greenbacks. Pure love! I'm actually giving my AX8/poweramp rig a little break for a while. This is just too easy/fun. :) Now, I just play!

VCuomo

Just the Flextone Plus. I have an EQ pedal, so i will take that into consideration.
All of the Flextone series (original Flextone, Flextone II, and Flextone III) have a "Plus" model - it is the 1x12 combo (as opposed to, say, the 2x12 XL model). So, you have either a Flextone, Flextone II, or Flextone III "Plus".

I gigged for a number of years with a Flextone (all series) Plus and a L6 Flextone "satellite" cab. I still own a Flextone III Plus and the satellite cab (I usually stacked them) - this weekend I may just have to pull them out of the closet, crank 'em up, and bring back some memories!

Last edited:

Phishboy32

:aok IMO the F1 had the best tone of them all (at least mine did).
What makes the flextone so great is there are no screens to have to look at. You just pick an amp with the Master volume cranked. Set your desired gain, Channel Volume, and set your EQ. Set it, and forget about it.

Chris O

What makes the flextone so great is there are no screens to have to look at. You just pick an amp with the Master volume cranked. Set your desired gain, Channel Volume, and set your EQ. Set it, and forget about it.

Yep. Simple is beautiful! That's why I love it so much, and the stripped down nature of the original Flextone with a few less options makes it seem even more "pure" - if you know what I mean.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom