Line 6 Flextone III

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mims2, Aug 21, 2008.

1. mims2

mims2 Member

Do any of yall use these? I played one yesterday along with a lot of great tube amps and to me it sounded really good. I play in a cover band so something like this may be useful? Anyone got any experiences with this?

2. theroan

theroan Member

I have a buddy who used one for a long time. It's not a bad amp, not great either. He really enjoyed being able to dial in different amp and effects on the foot board. When he was done with it, he was able to make a diffinitive choice about what he wanted to replace it with. It's the amp a I recommend to kids at my church who start playing guitar.

3. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

It covers a lot of tones pretty well. A lot of players treat it as a plug-and-play amp and it really isn't. If you are a tweaker, you can probably make it work for you. If you want Twin Reverb simplicity, it is not the amp for you.

4. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I enjoyed using mine in a cover band situation. It is able to cover a lot of ground but does take some tweaking. You will basically need to buy the shortboard to get the most out of it. I like that fact that it took about 30 seconds to setup, as the board is powered by the amp.

5. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Personally I think the older flextones sounded nicer - but that's me :) The newer ones have more models - but sound a bit more digital.

6. DavidE

DavidE Member

I bought a Flextone III 2x12 with the shortboard (used fortunately) and tried to use it. I thought it would be a great and easy setup for my cover band. Unfortunately, I couldn't tweak it to sound good at all. If you were able to make it sound good right off the bat, you may "get it" in a way I never did. I tried it in band practice with what I thought were good patches and it was just awful. I tried downloading presets and using those and they didn't work for me either.

I finally got that ease when I sold my Flextone and bought a Spider Valve. For some reason I was able to dial that one in right away and I gigged with it the first weekend and I've been using it ever since.

7. reddog112

reddog112 Member

I owned one and liked it at home but it really got lost in the mix live. I know I could have EQ'd live patches, but the motivation to do so wasn't there. I know it is capable of good tones, I just wasn't willing to put the time in. I sold it and got a Budda Superdrive and it is just my speed. Less options, easier tone access. I bought a few pedals and away we go!

8. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

I had a flextone III for about a week and I just couldn't bond with it. I liked it in the store but once I got to the peace and quiet of home I just couldn't get it to sound like what I wanted.

I try to be open minded too so it's not that it was doomed from the start.