1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Line 6 GAS?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Powderfinger, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

2. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

Honestly, ths Spiders don't come well recomended. If you have not already owned Line 6 products, there are much better things you can purchase, for slightly more money. I actually like Line 6 stuff, so I'm not trying to knock them.

3. Layne-o

Layne-o Silver Supporting Member

The impression I received was that the Line 6 Spider II was best utilized as a musical paper weight. You might be better served with the Roland Cube 60.

Regards,

Layne

4. gooma

gooma Member

I`d give a Vox valvetronix AD50 VT a look before picking up a spider,

It`ll cost a little more but well worth the extra $$$
    I picked up the AD 30VT a while back just for late night, at home use.

I find it to be a way better amp than the Line 6 gear i had in the past (flextone II & III) sounds much more like a real tube amp IMO.

Brad

5. danlineberger

danlineberger Supporting Member

I had the Flextone III XL for a little while. It was a pretty decent amp, jack of all trades, master of none.

My favorite model was the Silver Jubilee, would not mind getting a real one in the future.

6. ungarn

ungarn Member

Save up a little more $$$ and get a used FlextoneIII or PODxt...

I love my Line6 gear for what they are...

-Thad

7. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

From what I have heard, Line 6 amps sound alright when played alone, but in a live gigging situration they can get lost in the mix. I played one once at a GC....felt that one instance was enough.

stratzrus

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I have a L6 Duoverb. It will not get lost in a mix, despite requests.:D :D

All these versatile amps allow one to dial in quite useless tones that do get lost, though. The trick is to set up the amp side by side with a known amp that works at band levels and dial in realistic tones that will compete with classic amps.

I suspect many users do not have that option, however.

9. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

I borrowed that model from a friend for a while when my amp was out of commission and it, well...the comment about musical paperweight holds true.

Although they are OK when going for a death-metal type sound, not my cup of tea.

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Im no amp snob. Got the crappiest collection of tube amps here for sure.That said I owned a Pod XT Pro rackmount for about 2 weeks before giving up on it! Sounded great playing alone but all but dissappeared when playing in a band situation.

11. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Get a Flextone, I have had one for ten years and its great. Is it a tube amp no but its great for playing out. Light dependable and sounds great . They are probably just as cheap. I heard nothing about spyders though.
    They are on ebay all the time. I have mine still and probably will get another.

12. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

I had one of these for about a week, when I lost all my gear a few years ago, and couldn't afford anything. It sounds fine for jammin' along to c.d.s
    in your bedroom, just don't turn it up past one and subject anyone else to it's unique take on sounds that you formerly loved.

13. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

I'm gassing for a Roland Cube30 or 60 myself. Had the first edition Flextone and I really did like it and regretted selling it. But, I do like Roland's reputation for quality and the Cubes are so compact.

14. rich-96db

rich-96db Member

+1 on the recommendation for the Vox AD50VT. Although not a true tube amp, the fact that 1 tube that is used, in conjunction with the master volume and the attenuator-like control on the back of the amp, allow you to achieve tube-like tones at any volume.

15. dpeterson

dpeterson Member

people just dont know how to tweak this stuff... i have a vetta upgraded to 2.5 now and i love it. every update i love it more. I can get any tone i want, get sick of one, create another. I used to use boogies my whole life, and i dont miss the tubes at all.. it's all taste and opinion, but lots of guys knock stuff without really trying it.

I played a few weekends on an audition and my amp kicked lots of ass.. didnt dissapear into the mix at all. I really digging the matchless model right now..

dave

16. seagate

seagate Member

There's no doubt the Line 6 gear takes a bit of work to get the best out of, but if you put in the time it's well worth it...

17. TS808

TS808 Member

I just recently got rid of my Duoverb Head and Flextone XL. They are nice amps, but I found them to be lacking something. After a while, they started to sound kind of flat to me, lacking any real dynamics. I'm not a tube snob by any means, but I found the Vox Valvetronix to be livelier, more brilliant in its sound, and the built in power selector is a plus.

Modeling amps in general take a lot of tweaking in my opinion to find that "sweet spot" for each model, but once you find it, you'll get some good tones.

I'd stay away from the Spider though...it's not a bad amp, but the Flextone is alot better as is the Vox.

18. JPenn

JPenn Member

I miss my old Flextone Duo. I had a FlexIII after it and was never as happy with it as I was the Duo.

19. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Had THREE POD xt's, kept buying and selling them. I finally just gave up on them.

I'm not a tube snob by any means (been playing for 10 years now and just bought my first tube amp a couple months ago). I've been using multi-effects boards for 7 years and finally just got bored of it.

Digital amps can recreate 99.99% of the SOUND. But they have a terrible FEEL. Even with the latest generation, you can lighten your picking, and the amp cleans up just like a tube amp, but the dynamics don't change.

I do think that digital amps can get there, but not with the way they work now. Right now, it's impulse modeling, plotting frequency response versus dynamics. When it hits the point of impulse modeling of each component in the circuit, then we might get closer.

I like the old Vox Valvetronix better than the new ones. I'd love for a little 15 watt version of that, but it won't replace a tube amp. The MicroCube is a fun little toy, but really inflexible. I'd still like to check out a Tech 21 amp as I've never played one, but there aren't any around here. The Spiders and Flextones I've played WAY missed the mark.

I suppose if I wanted to sound exactly like a miked amp run through a board of processing and compression, a POD through a full range system would work. But unless a band uses electric drums and modeling for all guitars and basses, it'd be very out of place.