Line 6 Guitarport

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Robert1950, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Anyone have experience with the Line 6 Guitarport?? Done a bit of web search on it, including,...gulp,... Harmony Central. Personal opinions welcome. Comparisons to Toneport and Korg DX4D welcome too. Just got for it.

2. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

I have both the guitarport and the toneport. Pretty different animals. The Toneport is definitely a recording interface. Similar amp models, and both have a tuner...but the Toneport for just playing around only really works through headphones. The software is definitely recording oriented as well.

The Guitarport, on the other hand, is just plain fun. Yeah, you can use it as a recording interface as well. You can send the sound out through your speakers, or plug in headphones. It has other features, like a metronome, the ability to get to Guitarport online, the ability to play mp3's, CD's, and control the blend of you while playing along...

So, really two different tools for two different jobs - what's your goal with this device?

3. bailnout

bailnout Member

I don't know the Toneport but I bet I'd like it. I would probably buy one except I already have the Guitar Port and it does what I would need the Toneport to do. The thing that has me intregued about the Toneport is that I could plug an XLR cable into it and it has some cool models for use with mics. I have a Lexicon Omega for that but I've been having some issues with it lately.

4. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Paragraph 2.

5. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

Loved my GuitarPort. It's a great tool to practice, learn tunes, and just have fun without a mess of wires and amps. Just plug in and jam. The content is worth the $8 a month, IMO.

Unfortunately, I've moved to a Mac and it's not supported, so I gave it away.

Rick

6. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

Personal example - here I am on the road in my hotel room, with Guitar Port at my side, laptop at my front, and Strat in my hands - couldn't be happier. Love the tones - have built some phenomenal tones with the supplied amp models and effects, that suit me to a T. I use Amazing Slowdowner as a jam tool and while away the hours woodshedding. It is an exceptionally portable solution.

At home I have a Tone Port which is always connected to my desktop PC (shares tones woth the GP, BTW) and is used exclusively for its intended purpose, as a recording interface. Loads of fun with it as well, either recording miked up real amps, or with its built-in amp models and tones (which record beautifully, and sound very very good). It has taken my playing in a completely new direction in terms of music creation.

I am not always a Line 6 fan, but they have really knocked it out of the park with these two products. Killer tone. Killer price. I picked up my Guitar Port off the 'bay for ~$70.... can't go wrong.

7. tfunster

tfunster Silver Supporting Member

I've been interested in the Line 6 stuff for direct recording to my computer via MBOX2/Pro Tools Le. (Don't mean to hijack the thread btw)
    I was wondering: Is the guitar port similar to the PODXT??? Does it have the same number of amps/effects and sound quality??
    What's the 8 bucks a month for??? Is that why it's so cheap, because you pay a monthly fee??

8. DAB

DAB Member

Why not go out to the Guitarport website and have a look around? Here is a link to their content page advertisement:
    http://www.guitarport.com/content.html

You get web access (from inside of the Guitarport software so its integrated) to a site that contains all kinds of backing tracks of famous songs, tab, lessons, etc. etc. etc. I have had it for quite a while and believe that it is well worth the $8 a month.

Dave

9. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

Tfunster,

In a nutshell, you get the same amp models as the xt (the same algorithms), only fewer. You can purchase additional amp models if you want to get all the amps of the xt. The sound quality, obviously depending on your monitoring source, is exactly the same as the XT or Vetta.

The $8 a month is optional. You do not need to pay it to use the product, amp models, play along with and rip cd's, slow them down, record into other recording software packages, etc. What the $8 a month gets you is access to their online content. This includes backing tracks with tab (all of which are licensed from and some even performed by the original artist), lessons, music news and content, forums, the ability to share tones with other members (although you can do this is just be emailing or posting a tone file online, as many forums are already doing), and a bunch of jam tracks that aren't covers.

You must continue to pay the $8/month to use the content from online. If you download stuff, then try to play it after cancelling your membership you won't be able to.

There's a ton of info on their website, but I hope that helps a bit.

Rick

10. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I think Guitarport is what I am after right now. Thanks,

11. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

Good move. Let us know what you think after you get it. I just spent a couple hours with mine and some headphones - what fun! And no complaints from the wife or kids!

12. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Got it today. My fingers are hurting a little, so that is good sign, to start.

I do think I need a better set of headphones thought.

13. Badger71

Badger71 Member

Probably the best piece of gear I own......as far as my wife is concerned! It's a great tool to use to learn tunes without constantly back tracking a cd, which can be annoying to anybody after awhile. Fits in the accessory pocket of any hardshell case and travels well. Not bad for less than a C note. Enjoy!