Line 6 Helix - How To Create A Great Tone - Pt. 9 - Using Snapshots

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jsad, Jan 2, 2018.

1. jsad

jsad Supporting Member

I had a LOT of requests to do a video about using snapshots, so I put this together demonstrating some of the ways that snapshots can be used along with using stomps and the capacitive touch feature on the Helix. Hope this helps some folks who haven't tried snapshots yet or who have been struggling to get them working. Hope you guys enjoy [​IMG]

inheritsfrom, blowery, Blix and 10 others like this.
  2. ow my eyes

ow my eyes Member

Thank you Jason!
    You are doing such an amazing job. If you're not part of the Line 6 support team and payroll yet, you should be.

dmock66 and jsad like this.
  3. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Man do I need this one!
    Gracias!

jsad likes this.
  4. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Member

Very well done, clear and concise!

jsad likes this.
  5. jsad

jsad Supporting Member

My pleasure :) I appreciate the kind words!

My pleasure and hope it helps!

Thank you! So glad you liked it :)

6. Spec

Spec Member

Guys go check out Jason's YouTube channel.
    He's an awesome player if you didn't know!

He does covers of a bunch of solos.
    Not just any covers either; Petrucci, Di Meola, Paisely, Lynch, Van Halen, etc.

...and he nails them!

jsad and MIJLOVER like this.
  7. jsad

jsad Supporting Member

Oh man, thank you so much for the kind words and really happy you enjoy the channel :)

Spec likes this.
  8. dmock66

dmock66 Member

... I just need to find time to watch all these videos - they're all awesome! Thank you again Jason!!!

jsad likes this.
  9. jsad

jsad Supporting Member

@dmock66 my pleasure! They will be up there to be watched whenever you can get to them :)

Spec likes this.
  10. ratbastid

ratbastid Member

OMG secret right-click menus! I never knew! I've been wondering where they hid param assigns and snapshot renames. THANK YOU!!!

See, that mistake that happens right at 30:00 is why I stay on preset edit: discard. I only want to save when I say to. Probably comes from years of software development--often you speculate down a line of thought without overwriting the last thing you know worked.

jsad likes this.
  11. jsad

jsad Supporting Member

My pleasure :) Sure is nice once you know those hidden menus are there.

It is funny about the discard vs recall settings. I found with it on discard, more often than not I ended up going back to compare a snapshot to another and forgot to save and lost my changes. The thing I love is that they gave the option to do either to fit everybody's workflow, nice to have the flexibilty :)

MIJLOVER likes this.
  12. Blue Fin

Blue Fin Member

Thanks for taking the time to make these videos Jason...I've learned something new on each one.

jsad likes this.
  13. jsad

jsad Supporting Member

My pleasure and thank you for watching :) Very happy to hear they are helping out!

14. MatchFive

MatchFive Member

Great video!

jsad likes this.
  15. jsad

jsad Supporting Member

Thanks so much!

16. Rewolf

Rewolf Member

Nice video, thanks for doing these.

I would guess that the "Ramp" parameter controls how long it takes for the tape to get up to speed when the delay is switched on, so you don't hear anything except when you switch it on when you get a brief period where the pitch increases as the tape speeds up.... but I could be wrong and it might represent the time to engage the read heads when switching configuration.

I only used a tape echo once and that was 36 years ago and we had no instructions hence the guess; unfortunately I can't experiment as I am 4000 miles from my Helix for a couple of weeks.

jsad likes this.
  17. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

Thanks for this tutorial although i know most things about snapshot already so it wasnt something new for me
    But your view on discard vs recall was interresting i use discard and have to hit save all the time thats beacuse i have a bad short term memory.
    Maybe i gonna try to switch to recall whenever i build a presets seems so much easyer and also faster and then as soon as i am finish with my preset return to discard.
    The ONLY problem for me is to remember to put it back to discard :) :)

18. inheritsfrom

inheritsfrom Member

Thanks Jason. Your videos helped me understand the Helix much better than reading the manual ever did for me.

jsad likes this.
  19. ratbastid

ratbastid Member

Absolutely. I want it on "discard" because I'm likely to make temporary tweaks that I don't mean to save, except when I DO mean to save but forgot to and instead switched away from it, and then I'm mad it didn't save it...

It needs a "mind reading" setting, obviously.

20. jsad

jsad Supporting Member

Thanks so much! And yes the Ramp feature is how long it takes for the tape to get up to speed. It was kindly pointed out to me by a viewer and I mentioned it at the start of my Delays Pt. 2 video I put out last week. Thanks for chiming in on it :)

Yeah, it is really nice that they included both ways of working. I really think that both recall and discard have positives about them. But it sure is nice to have the option of either for each person to match what works best for their workflow :)

SO happy to hear that and it is my pleasure :)

Now you are on to something with the "mind reading" setting. What do you think by version 3.0? :)