1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Line 6 HX Stomp

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mikah912, Oct 4, 2018.

1. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Supporting Member

Yes. Yes, he does.

LordByron likes this.
  2. VTReconcileD

VTReconcileD Supporting Member

Is anyone using a Disaster Area controller with the stomp? I have...well, quite a few DA controllers, and I’m just wondering what all I can do them. Right now, I’m mainly using a DMC-8 to control an H9, Ventris, Specular Tempus, Echosystem, Gravitas, and Brothers. Obviously one of those will have to go to make room for the stomp. So what functions of the stomp can I control with DA?

3. Rick Wilson

Rick Wilson Supporting Member

I use cab block sometimes on presets where I use a spring reverb (typically Fender style amps) - in that case, I put the spring verb between amp and speaker and it sounds like a "real" spring verb through an amp speaker.

jruano likes this.
  4. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

If you set FS3 to something other than TAP/Tuner, is there any other way to access the tuner while in play view?

I'm not finding one and that's a bummer to lose the tuner entirely if you want to have something else on FS3. Maybe pressing/holding action or pressing the bottom knob could enable the tuner?

5. StormJH1

StormJH1 Member

That’s great! Thinking about picking up the HX Stomp to use both with headphones and on the FX loop of my Katana 100. K100 is an awesome, affordable option for modeling/preamp pedals not just because it has an FX loop, but because you can use power scaling to pick from 3 volume ranges, and the delays and reverbs on the amp go AFTER the loop. So you can use something like a Tech21 Character pedal and add ‘verb or delay to it without additional pedals.

For the HX Stomp, that means you’d at least have a backup plan built into your amp if you had a complex patch that used up all 6 blocks without including delay and reverb. Not too worried about the 6-block thing with the chains I would likely run, but options are nice.

Jdstrat and Michael Evrard like this.
  6. DarrellM5

DarrellM5 Member

[​IMG]

So my HX Stomp showed up today and I've had about half an hour to fool with it so far. It sounds great right out of the box and the interface is very intuitive (especially since I'm a Helix owner). My BeatBuddy footswitch does indeed function as footswitches 4 and 5, although it's half the size of the Stomp. I promised to report back about my headphones and the Stomp has no problems pushing my Sennheiser HD280Pros louder than I'm willing to go.

As for a travelling solution, this entire rig (Strandberg Boden 6, gig bag, 18' instrument cable, HD280Pros and HX Stomp) comes in at 11.7 lbs. It's only 10.9 without the headphones. Life is good.

[​IMG]

I'll be experimenting with this thing all weekend so I'll try my best to answer any questions that people have. Now I'm getting ready to try 4 cable method and start playing with MIDI control and expression pedals.

CameronJ, MIJLOVER, mbenigni and 11 others like this.
  7. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Supporting Member

My goodness...you basically own my dream rig. Congratulations!

8. jruano

jruano Supporting Member

Thanks, glad I asked, this makes a lot of sense.

I had never tried an HX product and have to say modeling has come a long way.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  9. dannyboytron

dannyboytron Member

Sorry if this is a dumb question but is it possible to use the HX Stomp as a stand-alone audio interface?

I've been saving up and trying to decide on whether to spend my money on more guitar stuff or on my PC gaming rig. Right now, I'm leaning towards the PC route and maybe just getting an audio interface like a Focusrite Scarlett, plus some VST plug-ins, to use as both my PC gaming rig and guitar recording/practice rig.

However, I kinda like that the HX Stomp is a physical device that I can use by itself. Should I get it instead of the Scarlett?

10. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

2.70 adds the ability to access Tuner view regardless of footswitch mode or FS3 assignment by pressing ACTION+PAGE>. Next week (hopefully).

MIJLOVER, rockapede, jruano and 4 others like this.
  11. DarrellM5

DarrellM5 Member

It will make a great interface via USB right into your computer. I use my Helix this way all the time and I just got my Stomp today, which works the same way.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  12. streuth

streuth Member

I’ve been following this massive thread and the 6 block discussion with great interest. I’m waiting for stock to arrive in Taiwan before I can buy mine because stores like Andertons and Thomman’s aren’t allowed to ship the stomp here.

To me there are two aspects of the 6 blocks:
    1. Some people want more than 6 simultaneous effects on at the same time.
    2. Limits the options within a single preset.

I have an idea line 6 could consider that presents more options (i.e. 2 above) in a preset without violating the 6 block DSP limit and 6 blocks in the UI. It may be a really bad idea or non-starter but here it is anyway :)

Since I don’t have a stomp yet I can only read the threads and manual to try to figure if the UI could be changed to make this work. It would no doubt be a fair bit of work to implement.

Make a new block which is an Either/OR block (I’ll call it EOR for short). It would be a block that is always ON (not sure whether that’s a necessary requirement but would certainly make it simpler to implement and understand) and has two effects in it with one ON and the other OFF. Plus the effects would have to be from the same category (maybe some categories don’t make sense). So one of the effects is always OFF in an EOR block, i.e. 6 block DSP usage restriction intact and only requires 6 UI blocks.

For example you could create an EOR block with your two favorite amps. You could have another block that has an overdrive and a distortion pedal. The blocks would be the standard colors representing their category but have some other visual clue they are an EOR block (maybe a diagonal line in the middle indicating two effects). You would set which effect is the default ON effect. So in stomp mode if a foot switch is assigned to that block toggling would turn the current ON effect -> OFF and the current OFF effect -> ON.

Then in stomp mode you assign the EOR overdrive block to FS1 and the EOR amp block to the FS2. Now with two foot switches you have 4 possible combinations of amps and overdrives in the same preset. In Snapshot mode you would pick which side of the EOR block you want on.

Amps seem like the most likely usage although overdrives are a good candidate too, but seems like this should work with all effects.

The block always on makes sense for stomp mode but maybe snapshots wouldn’t need that restriction - although removing the restriction makes it more complicated to edit. Always on for Amps makes sense If you’re going direct since you would always want an amp on.

Pros
    ====
    - Doesn’t violate 6 block DSP restriction
    - Doesn’t require more than 6 UI blocks
    - More affects available in stomp and snapshot mode
    - Doesn’t change play mode

Cons
    =====
    - More complex to setup/understand for user
    - Is it even possible, I have a Zoom multi-stomp and G3n and the manuals say even when an effect is turned off in a preset it still uses the same amount of DSP. Seems unnecessary so maybe Line 6 does it differently. But could still be problematic, I assume an effect at leasts needs to be loaded and configured in a preset to enable fast switching so that might be a problem.
    - UI changes required to edit mode
    - Does it make sense for all effects or just some.

MIJLOVER and Riffzilla like this.
  13. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Member

Perhaps in scroll mode?

14. El Chorizo

El Chorizo Member

Can the stomp process two different signal paths? Bass and guitAr?
    Acoustic and an electric?

MIJLOVER likes this.
  15. DarrellM5

DarrellM5 Member

It's a cool concept, and I like it, but I don't think it would be easy to implement. I believe that when you load a preset, all the blocks are loaded regardless of if they're on or off. I think that's what makes snapshot loading so seamless; they're always loaded and ready to go. I may be wrong though so maybe someone with more knowledge than me will add to this conversation.

16. Michael Evrard

Michael Evrard Member

Too cool.

mbenigni likes this.
  17. streuth

streuth Member

Yea that could be the biggest problem, the question is whether it's actually running or just loaded (i.e. taking up memory and DSP or just memory)

I think creating a EOR block could be fairly simple, if you already have a block, just add another effect of the same type to the existing block and it becomes an EOR block. After it's an EOR block the editing becomes more complicated

DarrellM5 likes this.
  18. Michael Evrard

Michael Evrard Member

I plan on using my HX Stomp with a Yamaha THR 100HD in the effects loop. I want to try it with a JC-40 as well. Also in the effects loop. I will also try it with my THR10X just for fun. I thought I'd do a full on amp/cab plus effects preset going into the aux in of the THR10X. Oh yeah...that's just until I save up for a Powercab.

DarrellM5 and MIJLOVER like this.
  19. Michael Evrard

Michael Evrard Member

You should totally get an HX-Stomp. I know that I am.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  20. guitarobert

guitarobert Member

I would get the HX Stomp because you won’t need the Scarlett. It will do everything mentioned above. It can act as the audio interface, connected by USB. It is also a great guitar practice and recording rig. No need for VSTs for guitar amp modeling if you have the HX Stomp. And probably the best part for recording is the low latency direct monitoring. If you use something like the Scarlett and VSTs there is a delay as the audio passes to/from the PC and through the operating system. The HX Stomp won’t have this delay at all for guitar because all processing is done outside the PC and monitoring is direct to the connected speakers.

DarrellM5 and MIJLOVER like this.