Line 6 HX Stomp

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mikah912, Oct 4, 2018.

1. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I'm not sure if this is still available anywhere, but this little thing would be an option. It would let you change channels on your amp on a preset per preset basis with the Stomp. http://www.nuxefx.com/show-9-243-1.html

MIJLOVER and mbenigni like this.
  2. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

If you need to remote Switch your Guitar Amps Channels with HX STOMP:

NUX PMS-2
    http://www.nuxefx.com/show-9-243-1.html
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://www.nuxefx.com/uploadfile/2018/0723/PMS-2 User Manual.pdf

review
    https://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/threads/nux-pms-2-midi-switcher.64744/

or
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MIDI Solutions Relay
    http://www.midisolutions.com/prodrel.htm
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIRelay--midi-solutions-relay

Use MIDI to Control Your Non-MIDI Gear
    The MIDI Solutions Relay is a fast, easy, and low-tech way to trigger non-MIDI devices via MIDI. Just plug the MIDI output of your keyboard, foot controller, or whatever MIDI-driven gear you're running into the Relay's input. After a little set up you can trigger non-MIDI devices from your MIDI controller. Change amp channels, turn on and off effects units, and more. Any device that you can trigger via a 1/4" input can be triggered with the Relay. And since it's even powered by MIDI, you don't have to lug around batteries or a power supply to use your MIDI Solutions Relay.

MIDI Solutions Relay Features:

• The perfect way to control non-MIDI gear with MIDI messages
    • 1 x MIDI in port, 1 x MIDI thru port, 1 x 1/4" relay
    • An easy and affordable solution to your MIDI relay issues
    • MIDI-powered operation means you don't have to fuss with batteries or power supplies
    • MIDI indicator LED provides visual feedback of data throughput
    • Built from rugged metal to withstand serious live use

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    yeky83 and mbenigni like this.
  3. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

That's another great idea.

Or most any programmable loop switcher with MIDI In that accepts PC messages.

yeky83 likes this.
  4. jruano

jruano Member

Much appreciated, I'll give it a shot. Is that the reverb that appears under "legacy" on Stomp?

5. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

I got to dig in a little deeper with HX Stomp last night, and I can see that my one major issue is going to be USB routing limitations. This was also something I wanted to see improved on full-fat Helix, but on Helix there are workarounds for most, if not all limitations. On HX Stomp I'm running into some walls. The bottom line is it's impossible to get dry guitar signal out of USB1/2 without also monitoring it on analog outputs or sends. USB outputs 5/6 are a good alternative for some configurations, but certain iOS applications (e.g. Jam Origin MIDI Guitar) are off-limits (yes, even with e.g. AUM to re-route in software.)

Then, the only effective way to monitor USB audio coming back, is on channels 1/2 direct to output, meaning, no subsequent HX processing. You can change the HX Stomp input block to USB input 5/6, but then USB output 5/6 stops sending any guitar signal. This is because USB 5/6 doesn't actually send the signal at the Main Inputs (as indicated in the manual); it sends whatever signal is indicated in the input block setting. In this case, inputs 5/6, which are silent - it's a closed loop.

I could live with having no means of applying HX processing to USB audio, but I'm really going to struggle with the inability to tap guitar signal off to USB outputs 1/2 while running an independent wet guitar path to analog outputs. There are a few different applications for this; mine (admittedly a little bit niche) is all about building out a portable guitar/ guitar synth rig.

I'll try to organize my thoughts on this over the weekend and post a couple of recommendations on IdeaScale. (Ideal solution, as on full-fat Helix, would be USB options in Send/Return blocks. But there are other options which might be easier for Line 6 to implement.)

6. BuleriaChk

BuleriaChk Silver Supporting Member

I had been thinking of just using the AC (and getting a voltage converter just to charge it in Spain).. But it is flexible, and does seem to hold the charge quite a long time.. I've had it in my trunk for three months now, and it still is fully charged...)

Screamin Willie and mbenigni like this.
  7. yeky83

yeky83 Member

BoogieZilla, dbagchee, Elric and 2 others like this.
  8. dbo

dbo Member

no because it's for live use with a coverband and I need to switch from clean to dirty and apply effects with one switch. I guess i'll have to get helix floor

9. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

There are worse fates. :D

CameronJ and Screamin Willie like this.
  10. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Member

There were a few posts about an outboard switcher that works via MIDI. Send commands to it via the Stomp and voila.

11. milkyfish

milkyfish Member

THere are two types of these Dual Footswitch pedals.

"Normally Close" and "Normally Open"

Would these have any influence on it?

@Elantric too

12. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

Line6 gear uses normally open momentary foot switches
    http://saturnworkspedals.com/product/amp-device-switches/

13. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

Yes, you can process two instruments separately in mono. I tested it last night.

First make sure you plug cables into each the LR inputs and LR outputs (or else it thinks it's mono and it won't work).

Then split the chain right after the input block (circle). Pan the Split Y to 100% L and 100% R.

Then put the mixer right before the output block (circle) and pan it to 100L and 100R.

Put whatever blocks you want on path A or B for each separate instrument. Done.

Edit: Actually you can run two instruments both with stereo outputs! If you do the above but then bring the mixer down to path B, then output LR are one instrument and Send 1/2 are the other instrument.

filo01, MIJLOVER, mbenigni and 6 others like this.
  14. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

Regarding using different power supplies, is it safe to say that if it powers up with the other supply that it is safe to use? Or is there risk of running it starved of power and possibility of damage?

15. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Member

Did I read earlier that the split takes up a block, leaving 5 total for both chains?

16. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

Nope. Split and mixer don't use a block. They are the points in which the paths intersect, or the circle in the bottom row when using the sends as the second LR output.

[​IMG]

17. DarrellM5

DarrellM5 Member

The HX Stomp can send out a MIDI PC on selection of a preset. If your amp can be switched via PC, like my REVV Generator 7-40 Mk II can, you should be able to switch channels by selecting presets. It can't currently switch them via snapshots as it doesn't have a command center at this time. DI did mention that it's possible for them to add the command center to HX Stomp but I have no idea if they will. I'll be trying this out this morning with my REVV.

I know this has been answered above but the manual also explains how to get 2 individual paths on page 29 (the 'tip' for powerusers at the end of the page.

18. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I wonder if the Boss FS7 will work with the Stomp. That's nice and small.

19. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

HX Stomp is a stompbox; it's not meant to be a master MIDI controller like Helix and HX Effects.
    You can change footswitch input polarity from Global Settings > Preferences.

20. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

This little thing really is flexible with the only major limitations (that I'm experiencing so far) are the block count and the footswitching configurations, just as I had anticipated. But it's awesome and even as a Helix owner I'm super happy to have it. Thanks L6!!!

I've had it running off a battery pack for the past couple hours and so far so good so that's another handy option. Making it so that the effects loops don't use a block will be great and save a block for 4CM. I still would like to see them up the block count to use any block you choose to use but I'm not going to beat that horse anymore because, well, I'd rather be playing.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    filo01, AZguitar, mbenigni and 3 others like this.