Line 6 HX Stomp

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mikah912, Oct 4, 2018.

1. BuleriaChk

BuleriaChk Silver Supporting Member

Can you be specific about the battery pack?

AZguitar and mbenigni like this.
  2. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

Yep I had several of these already from different projects and even though the 9V output is rated for 1A it has been flawless. In fact, while powering the HXS I was able to charge my iPad Pro 10.5 with the USB port!

The 9V output on the battery is center positive 2.5mm so polarity has to be reversed. I can't find a 2.5 to 2.5mm reverse polarity cable anywhere so I've just got a Frankenstein cable for now and will have to make a better one at some point.

Edit: I can't see amazon links on iPad so hopefully that worked?

3. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Member

I can verify that this works for extending the power supply cable. Now my cable is 10’ with the original power supply. $6 for two, keeping one for a backup. Killer!!

4. BuleriaChk

I had also looked at this

Update: I just remembered why I didn't get it; the three prong plug is for charging only, it is not an output...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  5. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Use Momentary and change polarity

EDIT - Yes it WILL work

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/27315427/

digitaligloo wrote>

You can change footswitch input polarity from Global Settings > Preferences.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  6. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Okay, trigger pulled. Even with the 6 block limit, I think I can make significant use of this. ;)

The interface features on both Mac and iOS are particularly compelling; expecting Native to work well with this on the go. Will see if it provides a full replacement for the AA3; otherwise they may both stay. This thing looks pretty tiny and the AA3 is hardly porky. If I can get my FX Loop in there without a block in a future FW (my only real complaint) so much the better.

7. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

Anything like that with a standard Edison type outlet is probably your safest bet for max compatibility in the future. But it's big and heavy and twice the price - and has a fan, yikes! - with about the same max mAh and watts (about 70). So yeah if you need the USB C or want to run more devices with that Edison outlet then it might be worth it to you. If you do get it, report back!

Here's a size comparison of the talentcell, just don't judge me on that test power cable (or all the dog/cat hair on the floor lol). ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

filo01, BuleriaChk, DarrellM5 and 2 others like this.
  8. Elantric

Only "Hurdle" I need to sort out the USB Audio - should I want to use HX Stomp as REAL TIME Audio Interface for Scuffham S-Gear Amp Model Sim app on a Mac or Windows

might be using HX Stomp as an iPad Audio interface ( to use IOS Guitar AMP Sims, BIAS FX, Yonac ToneStack, Line-6 MOBILE POD 2.0 for iOS) -
    need to sort out the HX STOMPS USB Audio routing, from an IOS USB Class Compliant perspective

( this is often a Frustrating experience and I never got it work on iPad with my Big Helix

based upon MBenigni's post here
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/27314895/
    I got to dig in a little deeper with HX Stomp last night, and I can see that my one major issue is going to be USB routing limitations. This was also something I wanted to see improved on full-fat Helix, but on Helix there are workarounds for most, if not all limitations. On HX Stomp I'm running into some walls. The bottom line is it's impossible to get dry guitar signal out of USB1/2 without also monitoring it on analog outputs or sends. USB outputs 5/6 are a good alternative for some configurations, but certain iOS applications (e.g. Jam Origin MIDI Guitar) are off-limits (yes, even with e.g. AUM to re-route in software.)

Then, the only effective way to monitor USB audio coming back, is on channels 1/2 direct to output, meaning, no subsequent HX processing. You can change the HX Stomp input block to USB input 5/6, but then USB output 5/6 stops sending any guitar signal. This is because USB 5/6 doesn't actually send the signal at the Main Inputs (as indicated in the manual); it sends whatever signal is indicated in the input block setting. In this case, inputs 5/6, which are silent - it's a closed loop.

I could live with having no means of applying HX processing to USB audio, but I'm really going to struggle with the inability to tap guitar signal off to USB outputs 1/2 while running an independent wet guitar path to analog outputs. There are a few different applications for this; mine (admittedly a little bit niche) is all about building out a portable guitar/ guitar synth rig.

I'll try to organize my thoughts on this over the weekend and post a couple of recommendations on IdeaScale. (Ideal solution, as on full-fat Helix, would be USB options in Send/Return blocks. But there are other options which might be easier for Line 6 to implement.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can "Jam Along to Youtube " via USB using Computer USB Output CH 1/2 -
    but you cant use Helix or HX Stomp as a basic audio interface on iPad to host real time amp sims (BIAS, JAMUP PRO) on iPad

- because those real time amp sims apps ( and most Windows Apps) expect the signal chain below:

Guitar > Audio Interface > USB Audio INPUT CHI /2> COMPUTER(iPad) > USB Audio OUTPUT CH I /2 >Audio Interface > Speakers

mbenigni and Elric like this.
  9. tonyhay

tonyhay Member

Awesome. You guys literally think of everything!

jayspencer likes this.
  10. dbagchee

dbagchee Supporting Member

11. Elantric

DarrellM5 likes this.
  12. Elantric

dbagchee likes this.
  13. dbagchee

dbagchee Supporting Member

14. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Oh snap, I think I like this one better than the BoxKing BK05 I ordered yesterday. (That USB output will probably keep a G10 wireless receiver up at the same time as the HX Stomp. And it appears to come packaged with right cable.) Let me see if it's not too late to cancel...

15. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

Note that the talentcell battery pack doesn't come with the correct cable for HXS, the included one is 2.1mm to 2.5mm standard polarity and it needs 2.5mm to 2.5mm reversed polarity. If anyone finds that cable let me know! Otherwise, will have to make one.

Elantric and mbenigni like this.
  16. BuleriaChk

Now I remember why I didn't get it - the three prong outlet is only for charging, it is not an AC output...

Elantric and mbenigni like this.
  17. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

Before everyone jumps on that talent cell @Digital Igloo is it possible to chime in on this previous question? I haven't seen any weirdness but since talent cell is only rated at 9v@1A I don't want to mislead anyone.

Elantric likes this.
  18. StormJH1

StormJH1 Member

Darn. AMS ran out of stock for the HX Stomp. Anybody know of any online vendors that actually have them in and would ship in a couple of days?

I go back and forth on the 6 blocks thing. For a bit, I was starting to be concerned that it would be too limiting, especially if you consider delay and reverb as must-have for a lot of patches. But, as a person coming to Helix for the first time, probably 80% of my excitement is about the amps, cabs, and IR loader (when available). Yes, the effects seem great, and I'm looking forward to selling off as much of my physical pedals as I can to just rely on Helix versions (especially the more niche stuff). But there are workarounds for just about every problem. If you're the type of person that expects 5-10 different pedals to be operating in your signal chain, then you're probably okay with creating a loop and throwing some physical effects in there.

I guess the only part that kind of bums me out is that HX Stomp owners may not feel like fully-vested members of the Helix "community". Many shared patches that ape famous tones are likely to rely on additional blocks or channel splitting capabilities that won't translate 1:1 onto HX Stomp. But again, part of the whole reason I never seriously entertained Helix or Helix LT (apart from price) was that the size and functionality really was overkill for me. 6 blocks, done intelligently, really should be capable of just about anything I want to do.

MIJLOVER and CameronJ like this.
  19. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

I wish my talent cells were rechargeable. Or ever-charged.

20. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Thanks for the heads-up. I actually decided to go with the BoxKing after all. It's a bit smaller and there's a step-down cable to convert one of the 9V outs to 5V USB. Not sure what I'm going to do about the 2.1mm to 2.5mm reverse polarity cable. I had ordered this but I don't think it does anything for polarity:

I might just have to dig through the basement for old wallwarts, harvest connectors, and splice together.