Line 6 HX Stomp

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mikah912, Oct 4, 2018.

1. GingerSlap

GingerSlap Member

A good safeguard is to carry a summing DI, such as a Radial Stage Bug. This will properly sum your stereo signal to mono without phase cancellation. It's also wise to check out how your presets sound running in mono if you may run into this situation.

2. mattball826

mattball826 Member

You have to note the orig settings. Changing to mono will go to default IIRC. I had that happen with PEQ's I had set.. then I was like what happened! Reloaded the preset, noted the settings ( I just screenshot it because I am lazy), and then enter the values. Only thing I recall staying was delay time notes. The rest including mix level could change. Not sure if they can fix that in firmware or not.

3. mattball826

mattball826 Member

That works for many. Sound guys have them all the time. I'm going to buy one.

LordByron likes this.
  4. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

There it is. Very enjoyable first hour!

[​IMG]

CjRuckus and CBHTele like this.
  5. Michael Evrard

Michael Evrard Member

Great
    Great for practicing soundtrack riffs

xcc likes this.
  6. Michael Evrard

Michael Evrard Member

I am pretty sure it would take up a block. I know it would if you inserted an effects pedal into the FX loop.

7. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

If you have the Return Type parameter set to Aux In in Global Settings>Ins/Outs, then whatever you plug into the return will just be sent through the unit as unprocessed audio. You don’t need to insert a Return block.

8. GingerSlap

GingerSlap Member

Gig report #2.

Open Mic Night at a local bar. I was the only bass player, so I got to play everything from country to Alice in Chains.

The versatility of the HXS was really helpful and allowed me to quickly change tones to suit the song and just have fun playing.

The sound man kept commenting on how good the HXS sounded. He's a guitar player too, and he's now considering a Helix or Fractal for his guitar rig. He's currently a POD HD500 user and he was impressed with the Stomp.

I think the thing that impresses me most is how much it feels like a real rig run through a great mic into a great board with a great compressor on the channel. It's just so easy to sound like you want. It responds very well to dynamics and different techniques. I don't have to think, I just get to play.

I built 5 presets, with 3 snapshots each, around the music that I typically play, which ranges from country to oldies to classic rock to modern rock. My country patches are SVT Normal based with a drop D snapshot and an entire preset in drop B because I'm a 6 string player at heart and I learned a lot of songs on my 6, so it's more comfortable to play with that low B. There is a little lag on the drop B preset, but nothing that's too hard to deal with. I have 2 rock presets, one built on the SVT Bright and one built on the Pearce with some octaves and the B7K drive pedal. I have another preset I built just for Superstition with a Q Tron filter and a Vermin drive on one snapshot.

I've owned and gigged 3 different SVT heads and it's just incredible how much the HXS feels like the real thing. It breaks up just where it's supposed to. It barks like it should. It sounds great loud.

So happy!

9. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

@GingerSlap
    How are you using your snapshots?
    I’m still not using them and instead have been using it more like a pedalboard.

GingerSlap likes this.
  10. AZguitar

AZguitar Silver Supporting Member

Hmmm, but if you just changed your last block to mono you would not correct this issue if you detected pc? On the other hand, I've been doing shows for almost 3 years now (same church though) with typical wet modern praise settings and never had an issue running left XLR out. LA stereo comp is my last block in all my presets. Professional sound sys and pro techs would have revealed any issues long ago. Helix stands side by side with other guitarist Kemper.

Not saying you could not create a PC issue, just sharing my experience.

11. GingerSlap

GingerSlap Member

I'm new to multi effects units. My previous pedal board was built around a Boss LS-2 line switcher feeding an Eden WTDI for clean tone and a Tech 21 VT Deluxe for dirt, with a chorus, envelope filter, octave and compressor.

I watched a bunch of Jason Sadites videos, particularly the Dialing In series, to wrap my brain around the preset building process and how to navigate in the Helix universe. Consequently, in a very good way, I picked up a lot of information.

Jason typically builds 4 snapshots for guitar. 1 clean, 1 with some breakup when you dig in, 1 crunch and a lead tone. He's usually working on a full Helix and playing guitar (extremely well), which makes his requirements more complicated than mine. He has released some HXS videos and he also built some factory guitar presets for the HXS. I do follow the same concept when building presets as it makes sense to me. This means I can think less about gear and more about music.

My first snapshot is always the clean(ish) basis the preset is built upon. I kind of combine the ideas of Jason's first 2 snapshots. If I play lightly, I get really clean bass. If I dig in, I can get a little breakup. My second snapshot is typically a higher gain tone on rock presets, or a drop D tuning on country presets. The third snapshot is a lead tone. On the rock presets, this is an octave up 100% wet mix with some modulation and reverb. On the country presets, this is just a slight raise in volume and a bump in mids.

This setup allows me to think less because it's logical TO ME (YMMV). The path to crazy town is on the right.

My workflow in a live situation is 2 stomps on FS4 to get me from snapshot mode to presets mode, FS1 or FS2 to scroll to my desired preset and then 2 stomps on FS4 to get me back to snapshot mode for the song. The LED rings change to white when you hit snapshot mode, and the screen changes in an obvious way, so it's easy to tell you're in the right mode. Again, less thinking about gear and more thinking about music.

I'll be posting my presets for download when I can get around to it. Disclaimer: I'm a total modeling noob and I'm positive there are lots of players out there that are leaps and bounds ahead of me. I've just been asked a few times to share my presets, and if I can help someone along the way to finding their tones, I'm all for it.

Madmax25, MIJLOVER, filo01 and 3 others like this.
  12. GingerSlap

GingerSlap Member

Changing your last block would work, but then you would have to dial in that block. Not a big deal in the office, but rather cumbersome in a live festival type situation where you have no time. While I agree that any good sound man will have a variety of solutions for this situation, even pro players get caught out once in a while. I think having everything you may need on hand is the safest solution.

AZguitar and Screamin Willie like this.
  13. Bach1970

Bach1970 Supporting Member

NOISE
    Please direct me if it was already discussed
    I am getting noise - the high frequency SHHHHHH as the note decays
    It happens as I play all of my guitars with buckers, some are quieter some noisier
    More pronounced when the amp model is more driven and it is much more apparent compared to my tube amp being driven
    It is not 60Hz hum

what are people doing to minimize this type of noise ?

14. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

Mono out of the HX boxes isn't a problem.

SOMETHING TO WATCH OUT FOR....
    If you are running two IR's in stereo, always start off by panning them mono in the mix back and make sure they are in phase. They are often not and might still sound interesting in stereo but NOT in mono.

TREMOLO. Stereo Tremolo has a stereo spread control which makes the trem go from side to side.
    If you plug in one channel, and it stays stereo, it will be a hard on/off.
    With the Stomp, I have been running one side to my speaker and one side to the FOH so this is an issue.

The Helix LT stays stereo if you only connect one side.

filo01 likes this.
  15. CjRuckus

CjRuckus Member

For those who were wondering here is Prymaxe update for this week:

On HX stomp orders:
    We are getting these in this week! Line 6 has confirmed their shipment to us. Expect your Order within this week or next! Please check back with us if you do not received a notified update!

They also said they should get enough to fulfill current pre orders.

Light at the end of the tunnel? Who knows?

16. vladorg

vladorg Member

The same thing I was told. i sure hope so, it's been over a month for me now.

Sean413 likes this.
  17. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

Are you saying HX Stomp and Helix LT sum to mono differently?

18. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    See above for the Input VU meter on Gigboard

Question - Has anyone seen if/where the HX Stomp has a similar Gain VU Meter or signal level indicator on Inputs and Outputs to confirm unity gain?

19. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

No meters.

20. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

not even a TriColor LED?
    shame -

(time to break out the Zoom H6 just use as a VU meter to set proper I/O gain staging on HX Stomp
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018