Line 6 HX Stomp

rd2rk

I grabbed an Alto TS312 with some of the proceeds from my pedal/amp sell off. Thought it would be nice to 1) have something for the occasional desire to play loud and 2) it would be a good solution for gigs that had substandard FOH equipment or personnel.

In some ways I’m regretting the purchase. It’s definitely loud, but it doesn’t really resemble the PA I usually play through or my studio monitors (which sound surprisingly close to each other).

I have it sitting vertically on the floor and it’s just really muffled sounding. I like a pretty crisp sound and feel like I’d need to completely rebuild all my presets to make it useable. Sort of a bummer.
Yea I read that was an option. Not super convenient as far as home-playing goes, but I’m sure I could find a way to make it happen on a stage. I do have an amp stand I could use I suppose.
Get a SHORT (mini) speaker stand. Hits you about chest level. If you have room on the floor for the speaker, you have room for a stand. A guitar amp stand is not as good, as you (usually) need to lay the speaker sideways, which messes with the hi-freq dispersion pattern, and if your amp stand is like mine, it takes up more room on the floor than the speaker stand. Also, be aware of the two ranges on the TS312 volume knobs. If you use Line level out on the Stomp, you use the lower half of the range. For mic level, use the upper half. Try both, you may like the sound of one over the other. Lastly, no two PA style speaker cabs will sound the same. Whatever you use will only ever be a ballpark approximation of whatever PA speakers you encounter on a gig. And then there's the FOH sound guy............

I was having trouble getting my dual footswitch to work from the expression port, and finally decided to open the manual and see that Line 6 recommends a momentary footswitch, not latching. Doh!

Dazzlepants

There have been ambiguous comments from Line 6 that the block limitation could be changed in the future. But also that the current limitation would make more sense given whats on the Roadmap. I haven't seen anything that implies changes coming in 2.8.

I'm with you though... It seems that the UI could handle 12 blocks (6 blocks on 2 paths) without much change.
Is it possible that there are additional limitations because of the form factor that mean the DSP is in practice less than half of a Helix floor/LT? Could overheating be exacerbated by more blocks? Or is more of the DSP given to routing and other functions because of the smaller form factor? They've crammed a lot in there.

My impression from their comms was that we won't see extra blocks but we'll see higher DSP effects and amp models in the next few updates.

phil_m

Supporting Member
Is it possible that there are additional limitations because of the form factor that mean the DSP is in practice less than half of a Helix floor/LT? Could overheating be exacerbated by more blocks? Or is more of the DSP given to routing and other functions because of the smaller form factor? They've crammed a lot in there.

My impression from their comms was that we won't see extra blocks but we'll see higher DSP effects and amp models in the next few updates.
The DSP capabilities of one path on the Helix and the Stomp are pretty much exactly the same. There may be some very minor differences just based on how a few of the auxiliary things are run, but I haven't really seen any evidence of that. Basically, I've always hit the DSP limit at the same time on one path with the Helix as I have with the Stomp.

I think a big reason for not giving a lot more blocks is simply that they don't want to mislead people into thinking that it's necessarily common to be able to run 10 or however many blocks in a preset. Sure, you can do that with some setups, but not all. I still think the main thing is that it was primarily envisioned as a device that integrated with your existing, not one that was necessarily meant to replace it.

Last edited:

ejeffreyhorn

Supporting Member

I'd be WAY out of my lane speculating on the engineering rationale for the initial 6 block limit. I do think your last point may be relevant - that DSP usage could change with a future update.

I think the main reason for not giving a lot more blocks is simply that they don't want to mislead people into thinking that it's necessarily common to be able to run 10 or however many blocks in a preset. Sure, you can do that with some setups, but not all. I still think the main thing is that it was primarily envisioned as a device that integrated with your existing, not one that was necessarily meant to replace it.
The cynical part of me says that the 6 block limit might be that Line 6 decided to intentionally limit the blocks given the price point for HX Stomp. In other words, Line 6 is not selling 1/2 a Helix - less the I/O, switches and UI - for $599. That concept can be spun as "market fit" or "vision for the product" or whatever. I'm going to be positive about it though and observe what happens with the SW in 2019 before making any judgements.

Last edited:

John Mark Painter

Supporting Member

I doubt it.
HX Effects allows more blocks but has no amp so doesn't use up as much DSP.
I think they are consciously keeping a division as to the purpose/price points of their products.

I would definitely be able to use 9 blocks in the Stomp

tycobb73

Supporting Member
Can anyone tell me if you run the ehx 9 series pedals in the effects loop of the stomp how you get it to sound good? I tried this and couldn't get an organ sound out of it. So I'm just running the stomp into the 9. Wondering if it sounds better in the loop.

• Impulse Response blocks now display as many IR file name characters as will fit in the inspector header. In addition, the last several characters will be visible regardless of name length (as they're often the most important ones!)
I somehow missed that was coming. That's actually going to be really nice

So another band practice, another attempt at making the HX Stomp work for me in a band setting. It’s been great to play through at home, by my last attempt at going through the effects return of my EL34 amp was extremely disappointing. I tried it again tonight and still could get anything sounding decent. It was muffled and unconvincing, no amount of tweaking seemed to make it present enough to be worth replacing my amp, which was my intention with the HX Stomp. So as a final effort I used an extra bass amp as a poweramp into my guitar cabinet, and voila! I had to dial it in but got a really great, totally “realistic” tone that even has my band members make some positive comments. They are fine musicians, but not the kind of guys who really care much about gear or tone, so if it’s good enough for them to notice, then it must’ve sounded decent. After the last practice where I tried to use the tube amp, I was disappointed and was worried that the HX Stomp was going to get slapped with a return label. I’m all-in now, and eagerly waiting Friday’s paycheck to order a PowerStage 170.

GLV

Can anyone tell me if you run the ehx 9 series pedals in the effects loop of the stomp how you get it to sound good? I tried this and couldn't get an organ sound out of it. So I'm just running the stomp into the 9. Wondering if it sounds better in the loop.
I have a Mel9 in the Stomp effects loop. Sounds great. Love it. No problems getting working. Don't even think I had to touch any settings beyond selecting the correct L/R send/return.

maxnew40

I am pretty sure that they only work well toward the first in the chain. either put it before the HX Stomp or if using the loop put the loop as the first in the chain. I also wouldn't suggest running it into a modeled guitar amp, it will probably sound best with no amp or the tube preamp.

steviek19

Tasty board!

May I ask what you need the CabZeus for? Why not use an IR block in the Stomp?
Of course!
1. It frees up a block in the stomp
2. It gives me stereo XLR outs
3. It has stereo thru where it bypasses the cab sim and allows me to run to one or two amps
Before this board I had been using the Helix Floor exclusively for 3 years and it truly is awesome. Once the Stomp came out it really inspired me to get reacquainted with pedals. I was so out of the loop on what pedals were out there lol. I really like the smaller size of this board as well. It's on a Temple Audio Duo 17. The board in the gig bag is only 21 lbs. I admit it is a bit excessive and that the Helix Floor could do everything this one can (and more) but hey you only live once. :)

coderKen

Supporting Member
Ok, I've searched and I can't seem to find it but, I could have sworn that someone posted a short while ago about a custom two-button switch they built that had a jack for an expression pedal on it that, when connected it would "take over" one of the switches (essentially making it a one-button switch + an expression pedal). Am I making that up? If that's a real thing can I get a wiring diagram? I'd like to mod a switch I have (a Boss FS7) to do just that.

jota

Ok, I've searched and I can't seem to find it but, I could have sworn that someone posted a short while ago about a custom two-button switch they built that had a jack for an expression pedal on it that, when connected it would "take over" one of the switches (essentially making it a one-button switch + an expression pedal). Am I making that up? If that's a real thing can I get a wiring diagram? I'd like to mod a switch I have (a Boss FS7) to do just that.
There's a video on youtube somewhere about that.

Madmax25

You didn't imagine it. It's in this very thread, 7-8 pages back. Here: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/28073900/