Line 6 HX Stomp

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mikah912, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Fireproof

Fireproof Supporting Member

I forget how many, but a percentage of the factory presets are designed for 4CM. If you aren’t using the 4CM method with an amp, you can overwrite those and free up more slots if you want to keep the other presets.

2. Henryk

Henryk Member

Thank you! Indeed I am not going to use 4CM method.

3. Henryk

Henryk Member

Thank you!

4. Henryk

Henryk Member

Thank you! I did own in the past Atomic Amplifier6 and I was not able to dial any sounds that I would like so I purchased MBritt presets for Amplifier6, also I didn't like any of the sounds, so I sold on eBay.
    So instead of MBritt presets, could you suggest me better ones?
    Thank you,
    Henryk
    P.S. I would like to implement with HX Stomp my tube preamps like Kingsley Constable and ADA MP-1 Channel. These would take care of preamp sounds, I would like to use just power section, speaker emulation, and effects in HX Stomp, if that is possible.

5. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I spun through Ben Adrian's CPU table and took some notes. Interesting to see the usage of various amps and effects.

I'm going to see if I can get good results out of the Deluxe Comp at the end of the chain vs the LA-2A as it's 1/3 the CPU hit. Also some amps can eat up closer to 40% CPU while others are closer to 20% (like the Placater is 37% while Badonk is 22%). Might be worth checking out the tables. The Line 6 versions seem much more efficient in general (Litigator is 23% for instance).

6. 65inside

65inside Member

Just back up the factory presets.
    I also tried the mbritt presets and couldn't find use for them but it's the same for every preset I tried that I didn't made.

7. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I would start with Jason Sadites' presets to see how you like that sound. Watch some videos and if someone's getting good sounds ask what they are doing.

I don't have the MBritt HX Stomp profiles but had the Helix ones. They are good for sure if you like his sound. They are generally warm with a lot of midrange and low end.

With the Stomp there's not a ton of moving parts that can be night or day. Try pulling up an amp and cab and roll the high cut way down to say 3k, then play and slowly roll it back up to 8k. See if there's a spot in there that gives you a nice balance. Then do the same thing with the low cut, roll it all the way off and then roll up to say 200 Hz and then see what you like. You may end up back in the 80/8k or somewhere else. After that, try a few different mics...try the dynamic 57 (Shure SM57), then try the ribbon 160 (Beyer M160), then try the condenser 87 (Neumann U87). For each of those, play with the high and low cuts. That should give you a feel for how to get the right ballpark for the cabinet. From there, tinker with the amp settings until it sounds happening. Add a reverb and listen to the different types and when you find a good one turn the mix up and down. That's pretty much your core tone.

Rai likes this.
  8. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Answers in red.

9. ejeffreyhorn

ejeffreyhorn Supporting Member

MBritt's presets are mostly dialed around his IRs of a 1x12 with a Celestion Lead 80 speaker. If you don't like that speaker, you're probably not going to like his presets.

10. Henryk

Henryk Member

11. Henryk

Henryk Member

Thank you so much for all the advise. I think since my guitar with Hot Rail pickup has its own sound and frequencies, adding to this my style of playing (strings attack), I think I could start with a preset of the amp I like, and then tweak to my taste.
    Since I purchased in the past MBritt presets with his IRs for the Amplifier, I think I am going to pass and work with what is available in HX Stomp, this should give me good enough sounds for live gigs. At home I am going to enjoy using my real tube amp for recording.

12. helixuser1995

helixuser1995 Member

2 quick questions please

=> can the HX Stomp run 1 x IR @ 2048 ?

if so

=> is this likely to hit / reduce whether or not it will be able to load the other " 5 " blocks if I am running 1 x IR at 2048 ?

Thanks,
    Arnold Z.

13. FlyingsCool

FlyingsCool Member

Yes 2048 IR's use more DSP than the 1024. I'm not sure how much. Best thing is to build the preset you want and see if you can.

http://benvesco.com/store/helix-dsp-allocations/

Ben (not Adrian) Vesco didn't seem to measure the DSP of an IR. I'm not sure if anyone else has.

14. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

I'm thinking of getting an HX Stomp as an amp-less all-in one rig...
    My question for you experts is: does the Stomp have some good synth sounds comparable to my Electro Harmonix Synth9 pedal?
    I really would like to know. Thanks!

15. Lele

Lele Supporting Member

This is an easy question: no!
    Anyway, as monophonic synth, you can get some sounds that are not bad at all. I use some for example to play Time is running out (Muse) and to emulate just a little a cello in Wonderwall (Oasis) with my band (with no keyboards). No polyphonic synth sounds anyway.
    Using pitch shifters and modulation you can get also some nice hammond-ish organ sounds; I bought the excellent Glenn Delaune preset about this, but I don't know if it is possible to translate it for the Stomp, because it uses many fx blocks.

The Rocket likes this.
  16. Naigewron

Naigewron Member

There are also a number of bass and keyboard stock presets.

17. mcv

mcv Member

MBritt presets are fantastic for live use; not very good at bedroom levels. Also one of his included irs sounds great with everything! “magic cab” i think it’s called

Sedaxel likes this.
  18. dhbret

dhbret Member

All his IRs are called magic cab. Which one are you referring to. Just for fun to see if I'm using the right one.

19. TonyCass

TonyCass Member

I like magic cab 1.2 the most.

vibrostrat43 likes this.
  20. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Member

I haven’t bought a ton of different presets, but his were my favorite of the ones I bought and I use one of the 3 magic cab IRs (1.1 is the brightest, 1.2 is the darkest, and mid is the most mid heavy) in every preset now over my Ownhammer’s.