Line 6 HX Stomp

coderKen

Silver Supporting Member
It's hard to understand why it isn't already implemented. :huh
I kind of remember reading a post that the mode switching stuff is more complicated than it looks in regards to the programming.

DI mentioned it over in the Stomp XL thread:
(not sure why the link is mentioning the dimensions and discount that someone got...it's going to the correct post tho...)

boldaslove1977

Gold Supporting Member
I bought the Stomp last year but didn't really have a chance to dive in until the past couple weeks. I've had a bunch of light bulb moments. I was always anti-modeling, but holy crap, this thing is a tremendous tool.

Here's my question....

I just did the update to 3.01 last night. So now I'm finally up to 8 blocks. Which is game-changing.

Before the update... I was thinking about getting a MIDI Baby 3. I want to be able to scroll though banks, be able to change from Stomp mode to Snapshot mode, and have access to tap tempo and the tuner.

I know the MIDI Baby 3 can do all that. But now with 8 blocks... am I going to want more than what the MIDI Baby 3 can do? I wasn't thinking I needed the ability to use the external switch to turn blocks on and off. Was planning on using the 3 switches on the Stomp for that. Seems like with 6 blocks... you tend to have a couple that are always on anyway... especially amps/cabs/reverb/delay. So 3 switches for blocks is fine. But 8? That's a different equation. I'm sitting here doing math and wondering.

I was also trying to keep things pretty small and minimal.

Any experience to share on the MIDI Baby 3, or similar switches, after the upgrade to 8 blocks?

Worth mentioning... if I ever start doing gigs again... it's all cover band stuff... often without set lists... so being able to scroll through a wide range of sounds quickly is important.

I've gone through a bunch of this thread... if there's anything that specifically addressed this... I missed it.

Got my HX Stomp some weeks ago to replace the M5 I’ve had on my board since 2011 (well, it’s actually the 2nd M5, first one died some years ago, but it saw a lot of stages before). Board build is delayed since my CBA Condor is in repair, and I want to include a Pirate MIDI Bridge 4 which will not ship before May. So I took some time to do a demo vid of the HX Stomp exclusively on verb, featuring the 5 new (compared to M5/M9/M13) algos. Enjoy :)

rd2rk

Silver Supporting Member
I bought the Stomp last year but didn't really have a chance to dive in until the past couple weeks. I've had a bunch of light bulb moments. I was always anti-modeling, but holy crap, this thing is a tremendous tool.

Here's my question....

I just did the update to 3.01 last night. So now I'm finally up to 8 blocks. Which is game-changing.

Before the update... I was thinking about getting a MIDI Baby 3. I want to be able to scroll though banks, be able to change from Stomp mode to Snapshot mode, and have access to tap tempo and the tuner.

I know the MIDI Baby 3 can do all that. But now with 8 blocks... am I going to want more than what the MIDI Baby 3 can do? I wasn't thinking I needed the ability to use the external switch to turn blocks on and off. Was planning on using the 3 switches on the Stomp for that. Seems like with 6 blocks... you tend to have a couple that are always on anyway... especially amps/cabs/reverb/delay. So 3 switches for blocks is fine. But 8? That's a different equation. I'm sitting here doing math and wondering.

Any experience to share on the MIDI Baby 3, or similar switches, after the upgrade to 8 blocks?

Worth mentioning... if I ever start doing gigs again... it's all cover band stuff... often without set lists... so being able to scroll through a wide range of sounds quickly is important.

I've gone through a bunch of this thread... if there's anything that specifically addressed this... I missed it.

Although you now have 8 blocks available, you still have the same amount of DSP. The main advantage of the added blocks is that you don't need to waste a block on low DSP things like FX Loops. So, really, nothing major has changed. The MIDI Baby should be fine. And, you always have Snapshots....

mousepunk

Got my HX Stomp some weeks ago to replace the M5 I’ve had on my board since 2011 (well, it’s actually the 2nd M5, first one died some years ago, but it saw a lot of stages before). Board build is delayed since my CBA Condor is in repair, and I want to include a Pirate MIDI Bridge 4 which will not ship before May. So I took some time to do a demo vid of the HX Stomp exclusively on verb, featuring the 5 new (compared to M5/M9/M13) algos. Enjoy :)

I am a fan of your video about playing 10 songs on M5 with the boss ES-5. Really glad you got HX Stomp and looking forward to the new tips&tricks for the HX Stomp at this time :)

the swede

Here's my question....

If keeping things small I would look into something like this:
Klick in the link and read what it can do! Pretty cool stuff.
Im actually thinking of getting one myself, been in contact with the guy and he seem like a good fellow, and if there is something special regarding the pre-programmed stuff, he could help out with that to. He makes a 4 switch box to, but to me it looks like enough what the “triple” does.

Regarding the extra two blocks, I did what i compromised with when i only had 6. Instead of amp+cab block i now use amp block and dual cab block, or IR. That for me was the biggest step forward, huge improvement. The other extra block i use for a FX loop where i use a delay/reverb pedal which in turn left two block spaces in the stomp free for other stuff such as looper. So there is ways around everything now, and the 8 block solved a lot of puzzles for me even though the DSP is the same. I still have 2 extra blocks and still have enough DSP (as I moved delay and reverb outside stomp).

Last edited:

cstmrts

Here's my question....

With MIDI Baby 3 you have 9 extra options since each switch can do 3 different things on press, long press and longer press.
I don't think you'll need so many options!
I have a single Midi Baby and a dual aux switch. I have an expression pedal connected to the Midi Baby and it gives me plenty of control. (I don't use tap tempo).

mousepunk

Thank you for your help! Although there should be a fix of MIDI in the last update according the release notes, but it still doesn't work, at least I could not make it work. But I indeed have a delay message option in Morningstar MC6 so I found out it needs 130 delay between the PC activating the preset and the CC turning on the preset you need. It makes switching the looper along with the preset useless. Need to think to reorganize this part of control in my setup.

rd2rk

Silver Supporting Member
Thank you for your help! Although there should be a fix of MIDI in the last update according the release notes, but it still doesn't work, at least I could not make it work. But I indeed have a delay message option in Morningstar MC6 so I found out it needs 130 delay between the PC activating the preset and the CC turning on the preset you need. It makes switching the looper along with the preset useless. Need to think to reorganize this part of control in my setup.

As I posted over at the L6 Community, it still doesn't work, and I opened a support ticket to let them know.
What do you mean by the looper comment? When I put a delay between both the Preset/Snapshot and the Snapshot/Looper, the looper starts as expected.
Am I misunderstanding?

mousepunk

As I posted over at the L6 Community, it still doesn't work, and I opened a support ticket to let them know.
What do you mean by the looper comment? When I put a delay between both the Preset/Snapshot and the Snapshot/Looper, the looper starts as expected.
Am I misunderstanding?
it starts but with 130 ms delay it's not that accurate in live performance context.

LaceSensor1

Hi, I just updated my stomp to from 2.82 to 3.10 I notice in the preferences , a setting for Auto In-Z with 2 option: First and Enabled. I am familiar with the In-Z but I am used to modifying this from the input block in the signal chain menu/view. I am not sure what the two options First and Enabled are doing. Would someone please help me to understand, thanks.

BTW I am familiar with the concept of input impedance and what it does to the high-end of the tone.

rd2rk

Silver Supporting Member
Hi, I just updated my stomp to from 2.82 to 3.10 I notice in the preferences , a setting for Auto In-Z with 2 option: First and Enabled. I am familiar with the In-Z but I am used to modifying this from the input block in the signal chain menu/view. I am not sure what the two options First and Enabled are doing. Would someone please help me to understand, thanks.

BTW I am familiar with the concept of input impedance and what it does to the high-end of the tone.

When the In-z setting on the Input block is set to Auto:
FIRST - sets the input impedance to match the first block in the signal chain, REGARDLESS of whether or not the block is bypassed.
ENABLED - sets the input impedance to match the first ENABLED (not bypassed) block.

MusicLaw

Double Platinum Member
@LaceSensor1 when you get the chance, browse through the updated User Guide for the 3.0 tier HX Stomp Firmware and HX Edit (if you use it). There have been loads of meaningful enhancements and improvements most of which will be at least mentioned in those PDFs. Also the Release Notes for the subsequent releases also have some good info. And, also know that HelixHelp.com is a fantastic resource for all sorts of Helix info as well as Tips and Tricks not otherwise in the Official Line 6 User Guides and Release Notes.

Romanowe

Silver Supporting Member
I’ll throw another stomp + midi question into the mix.... I picked up a MC6 and have a question on how to activate the stomp switch. I only have had success on activating the stomp switch that activates/bypasses a block. Any other parameter changes that I have assigned to a stomp switch, I can’t get the stomp switch to activate. I can get the parameter changes to activate via midi cc assignment, but I like the visual representation of the LED on the stomp switch.

rd2rk

Silver Supporting Member
I’ll throw another stomp + midi question into the mix.... I picked up a MC6 and have a question on how to activate the stomp switch. I only have had success on activating the stomp switch that activates/bypasses a block. Any other parameter changes that I have assigned to a stomp switch, I can’t get the stomp switch to activate. I can get the parameter changes to activate via midi cc assignment, but I like the visual representation of the LED on the stomp switch.

The parameter has to be assigned to the Stomp Switch.
The MC6 has to send a Latching (toggling - 0/127) CC matching that switch.
EX: FS 3 = CC#51.
The switch (if using switch 3) function has to be set to Stomp 3.
The Min/Max settings need to be set.

I just tried this with my FCB and the LED behaves as expected (Dim/Brt).

Romanowe

Silver Supporting Member
The parameter has to be assigned to the Stomp Switch.
The MC6 has to send a Latching (toggling - 0/127) CC matching that switch.
EX: FS 3 = CC#51.
The switch (if using switch 3) function has to be set to Stomp 3.
The Min/Max settings need to be set.

I just tried this with my FCB and the LED behaves as expected (Dim/Brt).
Awesome, thank you! I’ll give this a shot when I get home.

Top Bottom