Line 6 Leslie Sim pedal. Hmmm....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by onehandfretting, Aug 19, 2005.

1. onehandfretting

onehandfretting Member

2. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Yeah I hate when people put non descript titles on threads, I dont usually read them either ....;)

So Ill respond to this one ;)

In an odd twist of fate I beta tested for both the Roto Machine and the Roto Sim.......

They are very different boxes as it turned out, both trying to do the same thing - replicate the Leslie cab sound.....

In short the Roto Sim has a cleaner sound and goes more towards remaining true to the original signal......

the Roto MAchine is much more like the RotoSphere, thicker , chewier and farther away from the straight guitar signal.....

Ill have more of a comparison later, and a deeper review:cool:

3. onehandfretting

onehandfretting Member

Yeah. I did a search for it, but nothing came up. So I started this thread...

I was about to pull the trigger on the RotoSim, so I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on the L6 pedal.

4. Don Rusk

Yeah Ill be curious to see where the Boss unit fits in....

I think the Line 6 unit will appeal more to Folks that like everything about the Rotosphere but want smaller cheaper,,,

I think the RotoSIM is more a response to the percieved shortcomings of the Rotosphere.....and gives a tonal option...

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Man, those clips are schweet.

I gotta check this pedal out. Very nice clips. Boom!

6. eric-d

eric-d Member

I would totally buy that as a back up pedal.... that thing is nice.... especially for the money....

7. Don Rusk

I havent had time to compare t he Machine to a Sphere side by side ( maybe monday)- but I think it will work well in the 'smaller/cheaper similar sound' spot....... especially for guys that just use the 'sphere occasionally :

the drive knob is effective

the slow speed goes almost to stop so it can mimic the braking effect that way.....

and between the 3 different models and the rotor blend pot , most folks should find thier Leslie sound ----------------

but its still a pedal and the 'throwand grind ' will still depend on what speaker set up you have,,,,,,

the Machine is more of a miniSphere

the RotoSIM is more of a Sphere alternative :cool:

8. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I've heard mixed reviews on the sound of the RotoSim (even though I have faith in Dave and his effects!)

For $119 street, I think the Roto-Machine just filled the spot for "leslie" sim, esp. for the frequency that I use it...

9. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

Do retailers have this pedal yet? Does it produce the same high level of self noise as the other line 6 pedals in this series?

thanks

10. Don Rusk

line 6 just 'announced' the pedal in the last coule days, I think they are shipping in the next couple weeks.....

alot of the line6 noise comes from the power supply, better the supply ~ lower the noise - mine makes very little, but I use the line 6 adapter or the power from my Furman board so,,,,, if you are daisy chaining 5 off a One Spot or something , the noise floor comes up of course....

11. onehandfretting

onehandfretting Member

I've got a Tap Tremolo that was creating aweful line noise when daisy chained with the other effects on my PowerAll. I got a One Spot to power just the Tap Tremolo and now I'm noise free. And now I'm wondering if a couple of the ToneCores on the same power supply would cause the same kind of noise problem...

12. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I have had noise issues with the tonecore pedals with both my DC brick and my PP2. Its annoying to say the least. Just dont want to have to run a seperate source to keep them quiet. :(

Richard

13. monkmiles

monkmiles Member

hello all...newbie to the forum here...

This Line 6 Roto Machine sounds pretty darn good, especially for the price, size and what have you. Has anyone heard any more regarding when it offically goes for sale? I've emailed both sam ash and line 6 about when it will be available but haven't gotten responses as of yet.

Anywho... I have a Pod XT I use at home and the rotary effects on that are pretty good. So I imagine they're based off similar things. I like how the Roto Machine is nice and compact, unlike the new Boss rotary effect and the H&K Rotosphere...there's only so much real estate on the pedalboard, ya know. I have a Dunlop Rotovibe right now, but the Roto Machine sounds better to me from the clips.

14. Don Rusk

Yeah its pretty cool... it has a switch to mimic 3 different kind of leslies, and the drive is pretty correct too, and it does adjustable ramping as well