Line 6 "Let There Be Loud" 1-24-14

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by blynn894, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

Regarding the iOS editor for existing Line 6 products, they are not class-compliant and have no bluetooth hardware built in so there is no way for them to communicate with each other directly. Unless they did a firmware update that made the device class-compliant? Not sure if this is even possible.

2. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

What is "Class Compliant". Why couldn't they just connect using the standard USB cable with the "Camera Kit" to plug into the phone?

3. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

Class compliant means the device uses the drivers that are built into the operating system. No external drivers necessary. This is the key to audio interfaces working with iOS since you can't install drivers... unless they added them in the app somehow? hmmm, maybe that would be possible. But then that app would need to be running at all times of course.

4. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

Can anyone make out what that last menu option is on the latest teaser pic?

I think it is Editor, Tuner, Save Tone, and maybe Remote or Blender?

5. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

[​IMG]

:aok

6. Badside

Badside Member

So I checked the teaser video (after you sign up for info):
    - This is definitely a guitar amp of the combo type with simple controls on top (like a Fender Mustang)
    - You can clearly make out Stagesource styling (the curves and the grille)

There are 7 images also:
    1- "The day you meet your match", clearly an iPhone yet not clearly an iPhone, so there is hope for Android. On the phone you see a list of songs and it says "Tone Matching", so you through your phone you access the tones of the songs you want to play.
    2- "Let there be loud", again, StageSource styling, and the title implies it's not another low-volume practice amp.
    3- "The guitar amp, reinvented", again with the StageSource styling, and we know it's a guitar AMP
    4- "Rise above the noise", again: loud
    5- "Your world, amplified", tweeter = FRFR
    6- "The cloud gets loud", we see a list of effect and the option to save. I'm assuming they're using the cloud buzzword cause you can save and load to and from the internet (so you could edit a tone at home then upload it in your amp when you get to your rehearsal space with your phone)
    7- "Setting the tone for a new era", here we see the deep editing functions with the iPhone. So clearly: simple controls on the amp, but deeper editing via the phone (clever idea if it's not iOS exclusive, and hopefully also doable via USB, but easier to use your phone for tweaking away from the PC)

The main picture on the site: we see an FX and a Reverb knob, again simplicity until you use a device for deeper editing.

The infamous BLEND knob? I think that's a no brainer: to play music from your phone for jamming too. Since the amp is FRFR, it will sound good. So select a song on your phone, it matches the tone and plays the song.

My buying this will depend on a few things:
    - Loud enough to jam with a loud drummer
    - If iOS only, better all the same options when linked to a PC
    - Price is reasonable (duh!)

What could make it even more exciting:
    - Ability to also plug in my vocals and/or acoustic (and I mean at the same time as the guitar)
    - Simple and effective footswitching option

7. Badside

Badside Member

It looks like the Blend knob on the amp, so must have something to do with it.

I just noticed the Tuner option... I like having a tablet on my mic stand for lyrics, now I can tune with it? Nice! (I don't like wearing my glasses on stage so tuning with a pedal is a pain)

8. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

See this is the one that confuses me... Either it is a remote display for the tuner (tuner is actually in the amp) via Bluetooth, or the iOS device relies on audio signal coming through it (tuner is actually in the iOS app) which would imply that a direct connection is required.

And think about how tone matching works in say the Axe-Fx or Voxengo style, the analyzer needs to hear the original guitar amp sound to compare the audio clip to in order to complete the match. So this also implies to me that there needs to be a direct connection to the iOS device to get the source guitar amp sound. So maybe not Bluetooth after all. And Bluetooth isn't really the best audio quality as there is some degradation.

9. Badside

Badside Member

It would be a waste of processing power to send the signal to the phone for the tuner, it's clearly just displaying what the amp is treating.

As far as tone matching, don't think of it Kemper style. It's just an online database of preset (what they call Customtone right now I guess), except with some luck they are moderated (you have to skim through the crap on that one).
    It matches the tone of a song, not an amp.
    I mean I guess... it lists song titles, not rigs

10. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

Well, it looks like the ridiculous got dialled down somewhat.

I remain cautiously optimistic about this product. Call it part of my backwards renaissance in musical gear, but I am really hoping they release a ridiculous earth-shattering amp. Some big heavy 2x12 (and a tweeter) with castor wheels and handles on the sides.

11. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

Right, not Kemper style, Axe-Fx style (which is essentially the same as voxengo style). Matches the tone of recorded guitar tracks and not live amps. Still need a sample of the sound the guitar/pickups/amp model in order to do this.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Tone-Match-Manual.pdf

Edit: Looks like axe-fx does do live mic'd amp too. I've only done matching with with recordings and voxengo software so I didn't ever try a live mic'd amp. Seems like this Line 6 amp is more focused on matching the tones of recordings, but who knows!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  12. Badside

Badside Member

Oh I doubt it's anything that fancy. I'm pretty sure it's just to quickly get a tone that somehow matches the song you want to jam to with your iPhone through your shiny new Line 6 Decombulotarinator (you heard the name here first). They mention the "cloud", so likely just based on user submissions.
    So in many ways it's a Fender Mustang with a FRFR speaker and wireless control and deep editing via an iPhone.

13. Willowdale

Willowdale Member

These little teasers by Line6 have certainly done their job so far.......39 pages in this thread

14. Badside

Badside Member

Hype raises expectations, now let's see how the discussion will turn on Jan 23rd :D

15. jbealsmusic

jbealsmusic Member

It's true... This kind of marketing is a bit of a double edged sword.

16. RJT

RJT Member

I'm curious. I have an iPod and iPad. If it's priced right.. I might just buy one if even just to demo it, review it, and figure it out. I'm on a gear hunt lately.. I'm rebuilding a good 3/4 of my rig.. Selling off most of my amps. Maybe I'll end up liking it.

Lets hope that it's in the same price range as a Fender Mustang, as well. :D

17. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

You know they did the same with their PA stuff and I gotta say, if you have the cash the cabs sounds incredible. Have never seen a L6 mixer at all, anywhere. I guess they really do exist.

18. jbealsmusic

jbealsmusic Member

I was actually very interested in those cabs when they were released. I thought the mixer was pretty cool too... Having trained many clueless church sound volunteers, a mixer like what they offer would have made the process much easier.

But after they revealed the prices I backed out. If I was going to spend upwards of $1.5K for a powered speaker, I'd rather just order a CLR.

19. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I'm with you on that one. Although I have no doubt it would be a great speaker.

20. jbealsmusic

jbealsmusic Member

Yeah! Great gear is getting easier and cheaper to make as technology improves. So, guys with low budgets today can buy gear that rivals high end gear of years ago.

It's a good time to be a musician!:JAM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.