Line 6 M13 - Can't get good OD/Distortion sound

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Synex7254, May 14, 2015.

1. Synex7254

Synex7254 Member

I picked up a M13 a couple of months ago and really like it with one exception, I just can't seem to get a good overdrive and or distortion pedal sound out of it. I have just about all the POD Pro rack versions and the OD/Dist pedals sounds in them sound great. I just can't seem to tweak the right settings out of the M13. All other sounds are great. Anyone have similar issues or recommendations?

Also wanted to add I have it hooked up to my amp via effects loop.

2. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Are you using the 4 cable method or is the M13 only in the loop?

3. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

There are no hard and fast rules, but generally distortion pedals go before the amp, not in the FX loop. If you have a couple extra cables, you could use M13 with 4 cable method. This lets you place some effects before the amp (like distortion), and others in the amp's effects loop (like reverb and delay):

[​IMG]

EDIT: Kiki beat me by that much.

4. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

+1 on above - the tube drive, screamer, classic OD and boost comp are all great into the front of an amp

5. drock2k1

drock2k1 Member

I used the screamer and classic od for years. Great tones can be had.

6. AdInfinitum

AdInfinitum Member

Generally, OD/Fuzz/Distortion Fx go before the preamp, not between the preamp (post EQ) and the power amp. So, as said above, you need to run this 4CM.

As much as I gripe about Line6, I love the M13 - they really designed an ergonomic, well thought out/designed and great sounding multi-fx foot pedal. I think all the models sound great - not a one that I even go "meh." Some an eerily spot on compared to my real versions (e.g., Maestro FZ-1a).

I recently got an FX-8 and in some cases, I actually prefer the M-13 versions of some FX. In fact, if I can find a reasonably priced m-13, I will pick up another one.

7. basso17

basso17 Member

Yes. And the key to making this work IMO is to go into Setup and make sure the M13's FX loop goes after whatever OD/comp effects you have going on. Thus, if you've put all your effects of that type into row 1, set the FX loop to go after FX1.

8. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

What kind of amp? In 4 cable method with one of my tube amps the M13 smokes for didstortion.I recorded an entore album using it for all od/ dist / gain tones with an Egnater Tweaker. It also kills through my Marshall JCM800 combo.The effect loop must be positioned correctly though.That part is critical.

9. toelessfoot

toelessfoot Member

Yeah I can vouch for the M13's OD/distortion model quality, I blind AB tested my analog pedals against them and couldn't tell the difference when volume gain and tone was matched for some of my best pedals including: BB Preamp, Fulltone OCD, TS9, MXRphase 90

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Yes, overdrive/distortion goes direct into the amp's input, not through your effects loop.

This is the thing about the Line 6's overdrive/distortion models. There are a lot to choose from in the M13. It's the M13's strength, not weakness, that for almost every user, you pick the 2 or 3 that work best for you and then forgettabout it!

Through much experimentation, I've settled on the Rat and Screamer models. My main scene has two Rat models and one Screamer model.

I truly have come to love the Rat model. The key to the Rat model, for me, is to start by cranking the Output all the way up and then gently bringing up the Drive to just about unity gain. Then set the tone controls and Filter. And adjust from there.

E.g., start here:

[​IMG]

Adjust (at least I did) to here:

[​IMG]

11. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

i run pod HD500 as Igloo suggested. hd500 is m13 tech, right? the amps i ran on regular basis were mesa triaxis, marshall jcm200 and new vox ac30. sounds good at all times. there must be something in the way you set the fx up - any settings you can share?

12. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

As Jon pointed out, the Rat and Screamer models are excellent, to the point where I've basically gotten rid of almost all my analog dirt pedals.

Your problem is running stuff after the amp's preamp that ideally should go before it.

13. Synex7254

Synex7254 Member

Appreciate the replies. I hadn't even considered that the OD was in the loop after the preamp. I will give the 4 cable method a try. I'm sure I'll see a major improvement. Thanks all!