Line 6 M13 - How transparent?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Random Hero, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Currently using a Nova System but it doesn't have enough preset locations for me. Thinking of switching to an M13 to use in Scene mode, so I'll have 12 presets. How transparent is this unit? Once the Nova is tweaked, it's pretty transparent, can the M13 get there?

Also, does anybody know if you can change what number MIDI Program Change goes out per Scene? I need 3 different PCs to switch the channels on my amp and I'm not sure if I can do this with the M13 which would be a big shame. It seems like they send out 0-11 and that's it? Oh, and does it send CCs too? Need those to switch my FX loop in and out.

2. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

3. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

i wouldn't call it transparent at all. it does sound really good though.

4. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

So it's gonna be altering my tone a fair bit when it's inline but bypassed?

5. Weekendwarrior

Weekendwarrior Member

IIRC, Transparent is more referring to the alteration of the guitar signal with the effect on - that is, does it still sound like your guitar even with the effect on? The M13 is not particularly transparent but it does sound really cool, and can be set to true bypass when no effects are engaged

6. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

right. it doesn't do anything to the tone when it's bypassed, and i don't even use the true bypass option. the DSP bypass is quite good on the M13. But the effects are not particularly transparent.

7. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

That would be a misunderstanding, or misuse of words on my part, sorry! I've always imagined transparent to mean it doesn't affect your tone when it's off. But, either way, that sounds cool as I didn't realise it had true bypass. That said, if you're using even just a simple digital delay, it isn't particularly transparent?

Anyone have a clue about the MIDI switching?

8. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

The M13 has 'Dry Through' versions of the different delays, which means your dry signal is not affected by the modeled sound - only the repeats. It's pretty awesome.

9. Weekendwarrior

Weekendwarrior Member

The Digital delay is clean and transparent on the same caliber as a DL4 (same algorithms) and that seems to be just fine for bands like Explosions in the sky. Although I can't say for sure, but I would guess it might not be quite as transparent as say, a timeline or time factor...Just depends how picky you are I guess. Like I said, The DL4 is a classic pedal and the M13 has the exact same algorithms, AND can run 4 delays at the same time.

If you buy it and find that the delay is not up to your standard, you could always have this mod done http://jhv3.squarespace.com/m9-mods/ - however i doubt you will feel the need to.

I use a ground control to switch my M13 which is racked (as a singer I just can't be worrying about switching settings on my pedals as well as turning them on/off) and it works fine. The advanced user guide can be downloaded online (offered by line 6) and offers CC's for literally every parameter you can think of. The greatest feature for me was having MIDI controlled scenes, as in jumping from having 3 or 4 specific effects on to having 1 different effect with a switch of my ground control.

Hope this helps

10. lchender

lchender Member

I actually took the Nova System back because I found it affected both the high frequencies and the overall detail of my guitar tone in a way I wasn't crazy about. I was much happier with the m9 (baby brother of the m13) that I picked up as it did not seem to affect my guitar tone negatively. I've been generally pleased with the quality of the effects in the m series as compared to the Nova system (although there may be a few things that the Nova System does a little better). I generally view multi-effect boxes as a compromise anyway and I don't really expect them to pull off every effect convincingly in the same way that individual units attempting to reproduce a single effect might. Of course, YMMV.

11. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

So I have my MIDI answer. And it seems the answer to the question I was about to ask. When it comes to the transparency of the effects, I'm not massively fussed if a chorus, phaser, flanger etc isn't particularly transparent regarding my original tone - I'm using them to change the tone in a significant way usually! I was slightly concerned about the delays making my tone sound more "digital" (whatever that actually means...) rather than natural with the delay behind it, if that makes sense, but with the Dry Through setting that seems like it'll be a non-issue too.

Is Dry Through available on every delay?

Anyone know how quick patch/scene changes are too? The Nova has a lag when it comes to those. Also, I've read conflicting stories on how quick - or not - the MIDI switching is when using it as a controller but I think I can work around that even if it's there due to the massive amount of plusses the unit seems to have.