Line 6 M13 - Presets or individual stomps? Few other Qs

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Random Hero, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I'm just trying to grasp how it works. So you have the four rows of three switches - does each of those switch on/off an individual effect or are they presets?

Also, is anybody switching their amp with MIDI with this unit? Does it send PCs and CCs?

2. Aaron Mayo

Aaron Mayo Member

You can have one effect on in each column for a total of four at once. Only one effect in each column can be active at once.

There are two modes. Momentary is like a bunch of pedals you turn on & off one by one. Latch Scene is like a bunch of pedalboards you can switch between. Momentary is good b/c you can bend down and adjust parameters on the fly. Latch is good b/c you can go from say compressed clean/short verb/chorus to fuzz/no comp/phaser/no verb/add delay with the press of one button.

I switched channels (and FX loop and pedals) on Mesa 50 cal using this:
    http://payne-labs.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22&Itemid=34
    Worked well. It only works in latch mode, though AFAIK.

3. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Thanks guys. So in Latch Scene, I could set up 12 presets effectively? Then bank up/down to get to more. That is pretty sweet.

My amp has a MIDI in so if this can send PCs and CCs I think I'm golden.

4. Aaron Mayo

Aaron Mayo Member

You get 12 presets. There's no bank switch, though--you have to turn some knobs on the unit. Also, I don't think you can change what MIDI CCs the M13 sends. When you change scenes in latch mode it sends a "fixed" message, depending on the scene. Make sure that'll work w/ your amp.

5. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Gotcha. In the vid below, around 1:05 he says "you have 12... plus 12... so 144"? I took that as he was switching banks or something? Looks like he's just turning "Scenes" on however. 12 presets should be enough, I would think?

6. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Is there a way of leaving the Scenes button on? That seems like it would cause me an issue as it means each preset change is two button presses, Scenes followed by the footswitch I want to press to get to the patch I want.

Is that right?

7. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

In "preset" mode you just hit a button and you're on that preset.

I found the other mode way way more useful. 4 effects processors, 3 FX per processor. Switch them on or off or switch from one setting to another at will. Just the way I like to work.

8. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Oh so you can go to Preset mode and it works as if the 'Scenes' button is permanently on?

How is the switching on this? Any latency?

9. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

Here's the deal.
    In latch mode (midi out to your amp) you have four sets of 12 scenes. This is great for changing channels on an amp to fit your individual scene. In latch you cannot turn effects on or off on the M-13 and they cannot be adjusted.
    In scene mode (out of latch) and midi to your amp, you can turn effects on and off but it sends commands to your amp and changes things when you turn your effects on and off. (this could be bad)
    If you have a controller you can midi out from you amp and have 48 different pedal boards as your amp channels change.
    This works well if you songs change and allows you to turn effects on and off and adjust on the fly with no midi return hooked up.

10. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Ok cool.

So it seems that the M13 can send PCs and CCs but can you decide which PC it sends out on each scene? For example, Scene 1 is PC #0, right? That's cool, my 5150III 50w can learn that PC #0 means the green channel so I need to know if I can set all of my clean patches to send out PC #0, blue channel PC #1 or whatever and so on.

Does that make sense?

Also, how is the patch change latency? Is there any?

11. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

Another thing worth mentioning about using the footswitches in latch mode is that there is no global tempo. If you tap the tempo in and mid-song you select a new scene with tempo based effects, you will have to tap the tempo in again as the new scene's tempo will be whatever it was previously saved as. If they would correct this, mine would stay in latch mode and see far more use than it currently does.

D

12. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Global tempo shouldn't be a problem. I'd probably program scenes to be my 4 main sounds and then the rest on a per-song basis, which I can have the tempos dialled in for.

I just need to know now how quick scene changes are as the Nova's patch change lag is a real annoyance to me. Knowing how quickly it switches my amp when sending MIDI would be handy too.

13. toasterdude

toasterdude Member

I don't have an m13 but have m9 and pod hd500. Neither of those will do that. Midi pc is on a 1 to 1 basis.
    In fact i wanted to control my m9 via pod HD500. The integration between the 2 is weak.

First pod only does 64 patches per bank and m9 does way less. 24 i believe. If the pod could have sent a different PC to m9 on each patch or if m9 had midi mapping it would have worked and i could get by with less than 24 scenes on m9. Probably less than 10. If the m9 had 64 scenes i could have set it up one to one with POD. Since it didn't have those capabilities the m9 went to the closet and hd500 as well. Have hdpro hooked up to Axe ii and adrenalinn iii. Controlling all if that with MFC works great, i would still rather have more than 64 patches per bank on pod though.

14. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

So I picked one up used for a great price. I'm on firmware 2.01, should I upgrade to 2.04? Anyone know what they updated in 2.02-2.04?

15. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

yeah you should update it -- don't remember the changes, but why not get the most out of your gear?

16. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Is the ever so slight latency when you change scenes improved with the new firmware? It's very slight but instantaneous would be even cooler ;)

17. elvtnedge

elvtnedge Member

The M13 does midi very well. I have the M13 in the FX loop of my H&K Triamp and I control all fx from the M13 and the 6 amp channels from the Triamp from just the M13.