Line 6 M13 - what comes next?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by loudfast, Feb 21, 2012.

1. loudfast

loudfast Member

I've got a nice assortment of effects, but for the sake of simplicity am thinking about trying the world of multi effects for live use.

Having used a multi effects Line 6 model about 7 or 8 years ago, and still very happy with my Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler, I'd be most likely to go with them again. Since I have no need for amp emulations, the M13 looks like the feature set I'd want.

The only thing is, I see demos of the M13 on YouTube posted in September, 2008. That's almost three and a half years ago, an awful long time in the world of digital effects. I'd hate to make the fairly-expensive move on an M13 and have something new come out right away. On the other hand, the DL4 hasn't changed in a longer span and it's still being used by many, many guitarists.

Any thoughts on this, or awareness of new Line 6 multi effects that may be about to be released?

Cheers!

2. Christherock101

Christherock101 Member

Im typically not a fan of line 6 gear but I will say that the m13 is a powerhouse.. Theres a mass of effects built into it already, but it can also be connected to your computer so that it can receive updates from line 6 when they create new sounds

3. rbrogan

rbrogan Supporting Member

I've been wondering this too. I've had my m13 for about a year and a half now. And as stated above, it is a powerhouse. There's a lot of depth to the unit, especially when you start experiment with how effects are stacked, the looper, and the myriad of ways you can hook it in to your amp and other pedals. I would love to see what they would do with an updated version of this.

I will say, I think it would be worth going for one, just buy used. They pop up all the time for much cheaper than brand new ($300-$350 range from what I've seen). And honestly, with Line6 launching their new live-mixing platform, and sort of signaling a new overall direction for the company, I imagine that it will still be a little while before they start trying to overhaul the M-Series. I mean, you can still go buy a DL-4 brand new. And it's essentially the same pedal it's always been. That's a pretty long product cycle for a digital pedal. So I don't think line6 is at all scared of having a 5 + year long product cycle.

4. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

My good friend works for Line 6 in product development, they are currently working on a lot of cool stuff....but a replacement for the m-series is not one of them. Look at the lifespan of the DL-4, that is what we will see out of the M-series pedals, however possible effect upgrades are a strong possibility.

5. TimH

TimH Member

NAMM jet finished. Nothing new available for 9+ months I'd say.

6. Bufferz

Bufferz Member

m17, they are all odd #'s and they skipped 7 and 11 so it stands to reason they will skip 15 ;)

7. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

Some devices just do what they're supposed to do and become utilitarian. Many of those devices continue to be a steady seller for the company that makes them and are profitable after the initial cost of R&D, tooling and such has been recouped. Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS-9, Vox and Dunlop wahs, the aforementioned DL-4, are all examples of such products. These products don't get much love on these forums, but thousands of them have been sold and are being sold to beginning players as well as pros.

The M-series certainly had its initial hiccups, but it has moved past its novelty stage and has become a reliable tool for many players, myself included. It's also very simple to use and intuitive. It just works.

8. larrysingtran

larrysingtran Member

I uses an M9 on my board and love it... I mostly use it for the reverbs, delays, tremolos and a cool pog setting... The drives and comps sound digital to me (Cuz they are)

9. loudfast

loudfast Member

Great feedback - thanks!

10. Guitar100

Guitar100 Member

I can't speak to future plans either, but I've owned my Line 6 M13 for a couple of years now and have been VERY pleased. I've gigged with it extensively and find it very useful with a ton of options, flexibility, and many great sounds in there.

I still go back and forth between having the M13 and its little brother, the M9. I like the smaller footprint. But at the end of the day, the M13 is fine.I typically pair it with a Pedaltrain Junior board with a few of my favorite OD and distortion pedals, plus my trusty Boss tuner, which is much easier to view on stage than the M13 tuner. I find with this pairing that I can fit one leg of my mike stand right between the M13 and Pedaltrain board.

I will echo the suggestion that you consider buying one used, since I'm sure you could get a very good deal that way.

Good luck!

11. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

Yeah, the M13 is a great product. I rocked one for a long time.

12. RockDC

RockDC Member

I've used the M9 & M13 quite a bit and they are solid pedals... not sure if they'll be able to top that one for a while.

13. mmcm4

mmcm4 Member

I think the m-series are great pedals and will always be great pedals. I'm sure Line6 is working on "the next generation" stompboxes and stuff. We as guitarists probably underestimate the amount of product development that must go into each product before they are released.

If I had to bet/guess on their next product, I bet it's a modular pedal like the toneprints or the digitech thing with usb.