Line 6 M5/9/13 Stereo/Mono question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Godspeed64, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Hey guys just wondering, I run a stereo set-up at home but at gigs and in the studio I pretty much go mono.

I need to know whether the M series (I'm getting the M5 on Thursday) sums up the inputs or does it 'half' it? For example, on my Verbzilla with stereo input of I were to unplug the OUTput to make it mono, it sums up the stereo image to make it mono again. On some pedals you only get 50% of the stereo image if it has 2 inputs and one output (eg. Let's say your dual delay is dotted eight on left and quarter on right, but if you disengage the right you only get dotted eight despite having the delay algorithm set to both).

So one last time, does the M5 sum it up? Thanks for responding

2. fdd

fdd Member

m13 sums it, so i assume m9 and m5 as well

3. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

4. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

M9 sums it as well.

5. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

Yes, sums to mono. For example, if you use the "stereo delay", you'll get both delays out of the mono output if you aren't using the other channel output.

That being said, I was experimenting with my M9 in stereo for the first time this weekend and I was really impressed with how great everything sounds in stereo!

You don't really notice how good it is until you turn off that second amp and switch back to mono. Everything gets really "small" all of the sudden.

I've messed around with stereo briefly in the past with a couple of other effect units, but the M9 really seems to do a particularly nice job. I'm sure the results are largely lost on stage, and I'm not really looking to drag an extra amp to a gig. But it sure sounded nice at home.

6. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Actually I might have phrased it wrongly.

If I have 3 pedals before hand that are rigged in stereo and finally reaches the M5, but the M5 has 2 inputs but only one output cable, will the M5 sum the stereo image created by the 3 pedals prior to the M5?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  7. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

Ah, different question. According to this "tip" on a line6 forum, it sounds like it does sum if only using one output:

http://line6.com/support/thread/23897

Which actually raises some interesting possibilities for my setup (I have another pedal capable of doing stereo outs). Hmmm.

8. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Yeap that sounds right! Thanks mate