Line 6 M5 - Comments or experience

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Pinelake, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Pinelake

Pinelake Member

I stopped by the local music shop today, inquiring about a Fulltone Octaver. They didn't have one to lend but did have the Line 6 M5. Never been much of a Line 6 fan, but wanting to be open minded. Any one here have good/bad/indeifferent experiences with the M5?

Thanks

2. fly135

fly135 Member

I love mine except that it has a problem and I found others with the same problem on the Line 6 forum. It will randomly mute the sound and it requires either a toggle of the on/off switch, a patch change, or a power down reboot. Not always the same.

Mine has been only used on a pedalboard in my house so you can't attribute it to rough treatment. I'm going to have to send it in for repair.

3. mmcm4

mmcm4 Member

I have one on my pedalboard and I love it. I use it with an expression pedal as the first pedal in my chain. This lets me use it as a wah, whammy, or volume pedal before my drives. When I first got it I plugged it in and it turned on and then off. It wouldn't come back on. I waited a couple hrs, plugged it back in, and I haven't had any problems since then.

4. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

I got a brand new M5 from the local music store.

It went dead within 30 minutes of use.

I'd highly recommend Zoom G3 over the M5. Better sounds, more versatile, and hopefully more reliable.

5. mannydingo

mannydingo Member

Yeah, but the Zoom G3 has no midi and that ruins it for me. I need the M5 for what my modeler doesn't have and want the patch to change on the M5/G3 when I change it on my main foot controller. This is really bad news about the M5.

6. 3LittleBirds

3LittleBirds Member

Have had an M5 for over 6 months with no issues. I use it as a fill in for random effects I don't use much.

7. Pinelake

Pinelake Member

Just feedback from my demo this afternoon. Honestly, I was surprised as to how much I liked the sound quality of the unit overall. Not a big fan of Line 6 but this for the money is a good pedal. Granted I haven't played out with it, but still seems like a good product. The only downfall is that I didn't care for the Octave/Fuzz portion. That's was the one selling point I was after. Still glad I gave it a test drive!

8. brain21

brain21 Member

HelloMusic has these on sale every now and then. I can't rememeber the price, but if its your first purchase you get an additional $25 off an already great price. I keep waiting for them to put an M9 up.

As far as the quality issues, man between these, the Korean JTVs and some of their other stuff, they have REALLY got to up the quality control!!! It doesn't seem to be a single product issue, but an issue with many of their products across the board. Not everyone has problems, but enough that they really should do something about it!

9. mmcm4

mmcm4 Member

Part of me thinks that the quality control stuff is a little exaggerated. I've owned an M13 and an M9 and theyve worked flawlessly. That being said, it does suck when any piece of gear breaks and you have to return it or send it in for repair.

10. mannydingo

mannydingo Member

Brain21 is not exaggerating here. I've read different forums long enough to have read a much higher percent-wise number of Line6 units having problems than, say, Boss or Digitech. Granted, the majority of problems with Line6 and Zoom have been switch related, they have had problems in other areas quite a bit. As I mentioned, that's considering the amount of sales Line6 has in relation to their competitors.

That doesn't mean they don't provide products that satisfy a lot of users' demands. They seem to be very good a making a diverse amount of products. It seems that very thing is what causes them to have the quality control problem.

11. Defendant

Defendant Member

Got one on my Board. No problems so far. I use mine for the synthy stuff, the occasional flange and particle verb.

12. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

Just want to bump this thread - I'm considering the M5 as there are some great deals out there in the UK at the moment. I will use it for fill-in or extra effects that I don't have - flanger, chorus, octave, or for stacking delays or reverbs.

However, I'm worried about the quality of the sound - how noisy is it, does it give a volume drop or boost, and most importantly, is it a tone-sucker? I worked on getting the noise down in my rig, so I don't want to spend and ruin it!

I used to have a Pod XT Live which was convenient, but I could never make it sound really good. My rig is a Fender Jag into Poly Tune, Cry-Baby, Rothwell Love Squeeze, Distortron, Sparkle Drive, Script Phase 90, EH Pulsar, Digi Delay, then Fender Super 60 amp.

Any observations appreciated!

13. Lwilliams

Lwilliams Supporting Member

I used the M13 for over a year before changing to the HD500X. The effects in the M5, M9, M13, and PODs are the same.

To answer your question, I think you'd be quite pleased with the sound of the M series effects. I am picky to a fault about tone. I also own and have owned most of the boutique stuff made including the Klon. I took my 50 pound pedalboard loaded with boutique pedals out of service when I got the M13. The sounds are really that good.

Quality??? I think their stuff is as bulletproof as any of the mass produced stuff. I have NEVER had a Line6 product fail to work. I have not owned them all nor a lot of them. But the ones I had/have work perfectly. And my gigging setup now is the Dream Rig.

The only issue I ever had was with one of the original Tone Core pedals. It had a really high pitched noise in the bypass mode. They asked me to send it to them when it was just days old. They kept it 2 weeks, made some changes and sent it back. It still had the noise, a tiny bit quieter, but still there. By this point, I was past my return period. They contacted Sam Ash on my behalf. Sam Ash rep called and had me return it for full refund including my shipping costs.

Up to this point in time, I fully endorse their products and customer service.

14. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

Mine was faulty straight out of the box. Would not boot up sometimes; it would just get stuck in a loop making clicking noises. It would appear this is a common problem based on forum comments.

It was fixed under warranty but the experience turned me off and I sold it. That said, the effects were reasonable. Not up there with the original pedals, but extremely convenient. I really liked the opto tremolo effect.

I dropped my Pod HD off for warranty today. I've over Line 6; 2 out of 3 failures is too much (my Pocket Pod was fine). Maybe I'll get interested again if Yamaha lifts their quality.

15. rufe

rufe Member

I liked the sounds I got out of mine, but the switches made it almost useless live. had an m9 that the tap tempo would squeak like crazy after a month of usage. Took it to the only line6 authorized repair shop around Baltimore, was told it would be at least 2 weeks for warranty repair, but if I wanted it sooner (had a gig that weekend) I would have to pay the $50 bench fee and any other parts/labor. Took it home, found a replacement switch, 2 day shipping, did it myself in about 15 minutes. Then sold it.

M5 I had the same issue with. But both foot switches went crazy squeak on me since you need both to bank. And banking was a pain live if you used it any decent amount- not just for random effects here and there.

I have had a DL4 before for a couple years without any issues, so I know Line 6 doesn't make bad stuff all around. It just seems like you've got a much bigger chance of having an issue with them then a lot of other manufacturers.

16. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Never owned the M5, but I would say get the M9, it's like having 6 M5's, only a little bit bigger.