1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Line 6 M5: Do we have Consensus Yet?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rogue.guineapig, May 19, 2011.

Your thoughts on the new Line 6 M5

1. I'm a modeler fan, and I love it!

2. I'm a modeler fan, but I don't really care for it

3. I do both modeling/non-modeling, and I love it!

4. I do both modeling/non-modeling, but I don't really care for it

5. I hate modeling gear, but I love it!

6. I hate modeling gear, and it sucks.

7. I'm a modeling lover, but I'm on the fence

8. I'm a modeling hater, but I'm on the fence

9. I just clicked this to see the results

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

So I've seen all the threads that say "IT'S COMING!!!!1!1!"

But, let's get consensus from those who have played it or own it.
    I'm kind of interested in one...I like the idea of having a stompbox
    that can be whatever I need it to be, but nervous about massive tone suckage,
    and/or quality of effects.

Vote away good citizens of TGP. :) What do you think?

2. rolltide

rolltide Member

I had one and sold it. Effects are the same as in the rest of the M-series. Some usable, some for fun and some are awful. I like the M-series stuff. I've had a M13, but it was too big and the M5 was too small for my needs. I thought that I'd be able to successfully be able to switch sounds on the M5 in a live situation, but it was nearly impossible to sing, play, tap both switches at the same time, bank down to my next patch, tap both switches again and then tap the On switch just to switch effects. The only way to make it easier would be to add a Midi Mate, but then it's just as big and expensive as the M9. If you need more than one preset during a song and you'll be playing live, I'd suggest the M9. Plus, you get the looper with the M9. If you're doing studio work or you will only use one effect during a song separate from your drives, the M5 will work great.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  3. theraygun

theraygun Member

Yep, as a single effect unit, it's good, as a multi-effect, pretty useless. The display is way too small to be able to switch effects on the fly. Had one, took it back.

4. lloyd17

lloyd17 Member

Line6 seems to have re-engineered the switches on the M5, not nearly so crunchy and unpredictable as the switches on my old M9.

5. johntoste

johntoste Member

I've had one for a few days; through a practice but not gigged yet. I like it.

The display is too small for these old eyes to see while standing but I don't plan to switch the presets mid-song.

Out of the 100+ effects on board, I only expect to use a few with any regularity (delays, reverbs, chorus, phaser.) There a several more that I'll use once in a while (flange, auto-volume, reverse, tremolo, sub octave fuzz, Mutron, synth-o-matic and even Rat.)

Given my intended use, I think it's a good value. It's a seasoning for me, not a main course.

I had a POD early on and sold it. A good friend had a Variax and I hated it. I tried a pocket POD and got rid of it quick. The M5 may just be a keeper.

6. Greiginoz

Greiginoz Member

I really like it! It's very versatile, I haven't experienced tone suckage, some effects have the slightest of volume drop though. The Uni Vibe is complete pants. I have an old Boss PSM 5 which I'm using to switch the M5 in, I have the M5 in preset mode so I can simply scroll though my saved sounds and the Boss pedal brings it in when I need it. This way it's very quick to get to the desired effect. I like a lot of the boring effects like the Noise Supressor which is excellent, the chorus sounds are good too!
    I think it's a really good tool to have, I think it's more suited to guys like me who play in covers bands, if I were playing original stuff then I don't think it would use it.