• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Line 6 M5...I'm Intrigued...

AudioEcstasy

So I've been looking to add a reverb and tremolo to my pedalboard. I've really been digging the Line 6 Verbzilla and that 'shimmer' setting (think theirs is called 'octo'). I've also been looking into the Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter tremolo.

I just stumbled on the M5 today and for versatility this pedal would really help me out, not to mention all the other options that go with it. I don't care about price, I'm about tone.

Does the M5 have the sound to warrant a purchase? Hoping to get to a local GC and try one out soon.

I understand generally the tradeoff with these things is generally versatility for tone...

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I'm pleased with my M13. Incredibly versatile. Love the sounds. Some people try a few presets and leave thinking it's not so hot. Mistake. The controls are quite powerful, though as easy to manipulate as a real pedal. You don't have to be The Edge to love the Octo-Reverb. I keep it on my main scene and use it plenty.

Silver Hand

They sound exactly like the individual modeler counter parts (DL4, FM4, MM4, ect).

For the most part, the models are really good and have extra controls that the original pedals don't. Not every effect is a hit, but unless you're looking for very specific quirks or are in an ultra picky studio recording session, the sounds on the M series are great.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Just like if you were given 100 real individual pedals you might only really love 10-15 and those would be the ones you'd choose for your board, of the 100+ pedal models on the M series multieffect pedals, you'll really love 10-15 or so and those will be the one's you'll choose for your main scene (with plenty more scenes to store other pedals choices). Comments by people on the M13 or other such multieffect units saying they suck because "I hate and would never use 3/4 of the models" run counter to pedal reality.

a_ribbon

both the trems and most of the reverbs on the m5 sound great. there's also a lot of other effects in it that sound awesome too.

ColeW

Yup totally worth it, I use the m13 (just a biggest brother of the m5, still same fx) super versitle and sounds great

ColeW

I must add, it's great for what you want... I think the drives are kinda bad, for me there's only like 2 use able ones

Rockerduck

I thought the M5 was great before it started locking up and I had to reboot it several times before just returning it. Others have had problems too. The M9 is better.

Godspeed64

M5s are problematic due to grounding issues. You might need to replace some screws for the chassis.

d3nzi0

I had it for a while but got rid of it because it needed to run on its own PSU. Using a good power supply is essential imho but otherwise a good sounding unit.

ondadl

I bought the M5 for similar reasons as you, just about a month ago. If you don't care about price, I'd say look for a Flint, just as I am now. My phaser (Empress), chorus (mini analogman), and all of my drives sound a lot better. Having had the FM4, I'm pretty much over the mods, and have narrowed down that I'm after a good reverb and tremolo.

geodr

For $130 in a small space it is unbeatable. You could also spend 500-600 for an H9 with all the algos...

Kierbear

M5s are problematic due to grounding issues. You might need to replace some screws for the chassis.
Sorry for my ignorance but could you elaborate. I've been having problems with my M5 lately with audio suddenly just cutting out. I removed the rubber feet to mount it to my board. Cheers.

Roe

the m5 is easy to use, and some of the effects sound good, particularly the delays

tochiro

The FXs in the M5 sounded sterile and that's why I sold it. Also I thought I would use it for various effects but in that case you don't know where to put it in the signal chain.

AudioEcstasy

I've heard of the shutdown issues. I'm also concerned with an issue I find with a lot of pedals, best exemplified by this reviewfrom someone on MF I believe...

"If only there is a return policy at the music instrument store here, I would have returned this, and my older POD XT. I'm not going to buy the Line6 product anymore.

Tons of effects, good for all in one solution, maybe for recording instead of live situation.

The sounds are OK for a very small setup where the brittle-ness and the degradation of the guitar and preamp tones are not noticeable. But in a bigger live setup (I'm not even talking about stadium, just small club), the quality is really revealed. This thing sucks my Guitar and preamp tone and hurting my ears with its brittleness. Enough of Line6. This is just toy for kid. For effect I'll just go for analog or higher end Digital. Even my Yamaha Magicstomp and UD-Stomp are better than this.

It's good for practicing only for me. I have checked with my guitarist friend who had M9 to know if it is something better, he said he sold his because of the same thing. This is not for a live setup for a music where the guitar sound should standout. Maybe it's good for top 40 bands whose guitar sound is buried with other sound."

I've had this issue with ALOT of pedals, where they just can't do REALLY loud...

slap_back05

There are tons of arena-touring musicians with M9's on their board, so I'm calling BS on that post.

Hell, Brad Paisley uses an M13 so I'm guessing it's plenty loud. That comment most certainly came from a bedroom player with illusions of grandeur.

CosbyTron

I had an M5 for a while, pretty much as a dedicated delay. The models are from the HD series (which, pretty sure, are different than the models on the DL4, FM4 , Tonecores, etc, which are based on the XT/X3 series).

The sound is extremely clean. I think its a buffered bypass, but I never noticed it color sound in bypass. The delays and reverbs are all excellent. The dirts and mods are maybe less so, but still on par with most modeled effects I've used.

It has dedicated tap tempo, which is always a selling point for me :-D.

Top Bottom