Line 6 M5 opinions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jonnyfive, Apr 7, 2015.

1. jonnyfive

jonnyfive Member

Thinking of getting a Line 6 M5 to add to my board whats your opinions

I already have a Fulltone OCD, a Fulldrive 3 and a DD-3

Looking to use it for things like tremolo's, flangers and mainly modulation to avoid having to shell out up to £100 for each of these which will see minimal use

Do you guys think this is a good idea?

:dunno

2. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

3. jonnyfive

jonnyfive Member

Good short answer haha

Guitar Guitar are doing it for £99 which to me is a no brainer!

4. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Well, I don't really have experience with the M5 but I decided to take a similar approach by replacing a Boss CE2, Empress Tremolo, Behringer US600, and EHX DMM with an Eventide Pitchfactor, which now covers my chorus, tremolo, pitch shifter and basic delay tones.
    The problem now is that it's so amazing that I want 2 Pitchfactors...

5. BoTheMu

BoTheMu Member

The M5 is excellent. It has some great sounds (if you stay away from the drives) and is easy as anything to use.

I use it alongside my H9 some sounds are definitely on a par.

6. mousepunk

mousepunk Member

I bought mine on musiciansfriend for less than $100 fnd sent it directly to JHV3, he modded it for me and i am very happy with it. It is multi-effect pedal along with the Eventide H9.

7. harperjeremy

harperjeremy Member

I loved mine...but it had power supply issues and stopped working. I used it almost exclusively for the reverbs(particle verb is awesome, I would own the pedal again just for this one effect) and delays. I also used some of the mods but never liked the drives that much. I replaced it with an H9. I also have a Decibel Eleven pedal palette which allows me to change the pedal order so I could put the M5(now my H9) before or after my main delay(Timeline) in the chain. I've seen others have the same power issue but at that price you won't regret it.

8. geodr

geodr Member

I think its pretty good, and great for the price, convenience, and user interface. Make sure to give it enough power or it will act up.

9. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

Long time M5 user here. For quite a long time, I was a completely happy camper running with wah --> bearfoot fx pink purple fuzz --> fulltone FD2 --> M5. Was very very happy with this rig for a long time (and miss it to some extent!)

I think the delays and mods on the line6 are very solid. I think you'll be happy.

Over time, as I became more of an effects psycho, I decided "Well, I love leslie effects and the strymon lex is better than the line6, so I'll just add that." Then I decided "I really like tape delay and el capistan is the best, so I'll just add that." Then I decided that overall, the mods on the Mobius were better than line6, so I'll added that.

And eventually I sold the line6.

That said, I think it is a very solid multifx machine, and it can be had very cheaply these days.

10. metallica86

metallica86 Member

hey guys, how the M5 compare to Zoom Ms50 ? i have MS50 now but not happy with the sound, I'm using only for modulation,

11. johntoste

johntoste Member

I used an M5 quite happily for a few years. Reverbs, delays, choruses, phase, etc. Never did like the onboard "dirt" effects.

A few months ago, my rig had gradually become noisy. Also, about once a night, the sound would just stop and unplugging and re-plugging the M5 brought it back to life. I couldn't put up with the unreliability.

I bought a Zoom MS-70CDR. I've been able to replicate the sounds I used on the M5 and a couple more.
    The Zoom is not as intuitive to use as the M5 but I'm getting used to it. In my rig, to my ears, I think the M5 sounds a bit better, warmer and not as bright as the Zoom but it probably comes down to personal taste.

The rig is now much quieter, everything can run off the One Spot and so far, no reliability issues. Ask me again in a few years how I feel.

All that said, I still think the M5 is a bargain.

12. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I might be the only one here who makes use of this kind of thing, but the synths in the M series are neat.

If you're looking for more than the effects common to all MFX units, the M5 is great.

If you just need the same old thing as everyone else, I still like the M series, especially for reverb. There are not many MFXs which allow you to get to 100% wet on every reverb effect.

13. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I'm not as familiar with the M5 (I have it on a small board I just put together) but I've gigged the M13 extensively and it's great. The drives aren't that impressive but the delays and a lot of the modulations are really good. And the convenience is there.

14. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

The synths are the main reason I bought one.

15. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

It's a great little swiss army knife, a lot of the sounds are really usable and to me it's a no brainer. I really wish Line 6 would update the M series with higher quality sounds, but it's still great just doesn't quite compare to newer offerings from TC, Strymon, etc...

16. tanee

tanee Member

I have the m5 on my board as a Swiss army pedal as well. I dig it.. not a strymon or an eventide.. but pretty dang good for the price. I wish it had polyphonic harmony/octaves though.

17. jordane93

jordane93 Member

18. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

Compare it to a Zoom MS-50G or MS-70CDR and you might be surprised as to which one you prefer.

19. GLinks

GLinks Member

Had the Zoom MS-70 CDR and now the M5. Not with the same amp, though. As others have said, delay and reverb on it are really good. Spring, Cave, Octo are pretty real good, barber pole phaser, the trems, comet trails are probably what I use most. In between my dirt and time based effects is it's most useful position on my lineup. I did like the tuner on the Zoom better, but it suffices on the M5. For $90 US you could do worse. I'll probably add an expression pedal, but I do plan to upgrade to an H9 at some point. I like the M5 more than I thought. It's been kind of a creeper for me. I like it incrementally more all the time. The drives do little for me but the Muff is fine, IMO.

20. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

I've had both and prefer the Zoom.