Line 6 M5 - Random "no sound" issue?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by tele_jas, Feb 3, 2015.

1. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I have a Line 6 M5, only used it a few times since getting it (used). It worked fine the first two times, but last weekend about an hour into my show, I had NO sound coming out of my amp?? I checked all the cables and finally bypassed the M5 (ran a cable around it) and it worked, so I just wrote it off to a bad cable.

This past weekend during sound check (different venue), after 2 songs, I had no sound again.... I immediately took the M5 out of the chain and it all worked again?? I was using all new cables to hook it up that last time, so I know it's the M5 and not a cable issue.

Everything appears to be working... It all lights up, changes patches, but no sound......Well, a VERY faint sound does come out but you can't hear it unless you put your ear up to the amp.

Is this a known issue with these?

I'm using a 9v 500ma power supply that came with my TC Elextronics X4, if that makes a difference?

2. fuzzyoctaves

fuzzyoctaves Member

I have experienced this as well and rebooting (pull the power and re-insert) the M5 works every time. I have seen others complain of this on line6's site with no useful response. It isn't a big deal for me since I am at home, but I wouldn't gig with one.

Here is my original post: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1515396

3. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Yeah, I was hoping to use it as my "bag of tricks" pedal for the random songs we play that require a phaser, chorus, or other "odd" sounds so I didn't have to fill up my board with pedals I'd use 2 times a year. So I don't need it, but it was fun.

I may see if there is a way to reset it or re-download any firmware and reflash it?

4. fuzzyoctaves

fuzzyoctaves Member

Please report back if you find any answers.

Thanks

5. fly135

fly135 Member

I had the exact same problem and reported it to warranty service. They sent me a new power supply and that did not fix it. Fortunately for me I took care of the issue while the unit was in warranty and they replaced it with one that does not exhibit the problem.

The unit would randomly mute the output. I could sometimes switch presets and it would come back. Other times I would have to cycle power. It appears that this is a frequent issue with the M5. And to the best of my knowledge it's happens with a faulty unit seeing as how I now have one that works properly.

6. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

[UPDATE]

I preformed a reset shortly after posting (that I would).. I've played 4 shows with it and it has not cut out on me one single time. I think this resolved the issue for me!