Line 6 M9 vs. EH Cathedral for reverb?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JamesSGBrown, Feb 7, 2012.

1. JamesSGBrown

JamesSGBrown Member

Hi, all!

I'm looking at both of these units. I'm aware the M9 can do alot more stuff- which I would use.
    However, reverb is most important to me. Both have the ability to save settings, which is very important for me!

Any opinions?

James

2. juujuuj

juujuuj Member

the M9 verbs are ok at best except octo& particle which are cool.
    if your into reverb no line6.dont know about the ehx

3. reddog112

reddog112 Member

I had bad luck with the Cathedral, took it back to GC before my 30 days was up. I A/B'd it with the WET and I preferred the WET. The Cathedral was noisy and had alot of weird artifacts that bugged me. The switch failed on me the second week and that was the end of it. There were some cool sounds in there, but it wasn't for me

4. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

M9 reverb is just as useable as the TC HOF and blue sky. One of the better effects on the M9. Same algorithms as the verbzilla.

5. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

OK at best? I'm sorry, but I don't agree.

The M-series reverbs may not be as superb as some of the dedicated reverb pedals out there, but they certainly are very good, especially for live use. I've never used the Cathedral so I can't speak for it, but the M-series reverbs and delays are its strong suits and sound great IMO.

6. JamesSGBrown

JamesSGBrown Member

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm gonna go into town at some point this week and see if I can try then side-by-side. I've heard about the "digital" issue of the Cathedral, and I'm looking forward to keeping an ear out for it myself!

7. JamesSGBrown

JamesSGBrown Member

Bump for more opinions!

8. antbosca

antbosca Member

I agree that the M9 has great 'verb. Does not quite match up to the BLue Sky and HoF, or rack units, but it's more than respectable and better than a lot of dedicated 'verb pedals. Also better than EHX.

9. JamesSGBrown

JamesSGBrown Member

I'd love a Blue Sky, but the fact that you can only save one favourite setting is no good when you need more than one reverb setting per song :(

10. Twangasaurus

Twangasaurus Member

I really dislike EHX reverbs, they sound chintzy to me.

11. theroan

theroan Member

M9 would be my preference. I think a lot of people forget that the Verbzilla was once on everyones board.

12. DavidE

DavidE Member

Lots of people disagree with this. Including me. I only use the '63 spring reverb model because I haven't found a use for the others but there are some very cool sounding reverbs on there.

It doesn't operate in a way that really works for me, but the TC Nova has some excellent sounding reverbs as well and some people prefer them.

13. gulliver

gulliver Member

The tube echoes on the M9 are very nice, when you set them up short and sweet, kind of like a reverb, they have all the right stuff. The clean through option is a great idea for less effect.

14. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

I play a M5, had a M9 until few weeks ago. My bandmate plays a Cathedral.

Standard reverb sounds (room/hall and spring stuff) on either of them are okay, but not great IMHO. Neunaber Wet, Strymon BlueSky and Subdecay Spring Theory sound better on demoes, but I haven't played them yet. My amps spring reverb (Vintage Sound Amps Princeton clone with big reverb tank) sounds WAY better than both.

BUT ... both have two really cool things going on:

The M5/M9/M13 have the Octo Verb and the Particle Verb which are really nice for ambient textures.

The Cathedral has a "infinite hold" effect similar to the EHX Freeze, and the reverse reverb w/ tap tempo is EXTREMELY cool.

15. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus Member

Just copy'n'pastin what I said in the ambient thread:
    I've had the cathedral for maybe two years now, and I honestly don't use it that much any more, so I can't bring myself to recommend it.
    It's capable of some really great, lush, sounds (especially on the accutronic mode - echo is also great), but idk . . . just something about it is overwhelmingly meh.
    I wish I had saved up more for the ET space.

Oh a big thing to note is the infinite feature on the cathedral blows (it only infinitely repeats what it's already processed, so you get an infinite wet sound, and than a terribly awkward sounding dry sound on top of it).

Also, although I've never had a good experience with Boss pedals (like many), I think in this situation the RE-20 is worth checking out. I tried it out in a store; all they had were cheap guitars and terrible amps, but despite it all I didn't think it sounded bad.

16. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

Well, depends on how you use the infinite feature, I guess ... my band mate got very cool sounds out of it, together with a Memory Boy Deluxe

17. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus Member

Yeah, I mean for the echo and reverse it's cool; but anything else is... anemic

18. JamesSGBrown

JamesSGBrown Member

I'm getting an EH Freeze for my pad sounds, so the infinite would have been nothing but a nice bonus tbh.

Well, I do use room reverb a little bit....but I'm more into spacious sounds. The reverb tank on my Laney VC30 is up the duff (might start a thread about that, it makes a nice springy sound when you kick it, but no 'verb when you turn it on :/)

Cheers for the responses, all very much appreciated!!

19. aporcelainsky

aporcelainsky Member

FWIW I don't get the RE-20 hype. M9 all the way :aok.. you get solid reverb sounds and oh so much more. bang for your buck is outrageous.

20. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

M9 all day every day in almost (delay/verb/mod) every way