Line 6 M9 with expression pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by IndieHead, Feb 24, 2012.

1. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

Last night was the first time I used my M9 in a live setting.

On my rig.

Guitar>pitchblack>TS9>RAT2>M9>expression pedal> VOX AC15C1.

I decided to use the classic distortion on the M9 and varied the boost with either the RAT or the expression pedal on the solos.

Strangely, either ways, the boost just failed to cut the mix.

Anyone has similar experience?

2. c diddy 5000

c diddy 5000 Member

try your boost after the M9... may not be the most ideal placement for it, especially if you use the m9 to get your verbs and delays

3. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

yes, i use the m9 for all the verbs and delays. that expression pedal was totally wicked in the studio but in a live setting, disappointing. maybe i am not setting it up properly.

or the distortion models on the M9 dun stack well.

4. jborges

jborges Member

The m9 drives just don't stack right like actual pedals do. The digital emulation can only do so much. Just put your dirt/drive pedals before your m9 and use only the pedals for drive. Or if you are set on using the m9 for drive, use the expression pedal or a bank to toggle the output and drive level. (which you might already be doing)

Still running pedals before the m9 are a much better way to go in my experience.

5. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

I stopped using an EXP pedal with my old M9, just didnt really work the way i wanted it to at shows, dropped it for a volume and wah

and a word to the wise, the distortion and 95% of the overdrives in the m9 are just awful....it rules for mods, verb, delay, and even some pitch stuff (especially the bass octave which kicks arse)

6. rbrogan

rbrogan Supporting Member

I've had my M13 for about a year and a half now, and I am just starting to figure out the drives. Most people do not like them, but I'm pretty sure this has a lot to do that they just don't tweak like a traditional analog drive does.

I don't know if you get to practice at close to the levels you gig at, but I have found it is essential to set up the drives at close to gig volume as possible. The tone controls seem way more interactive with the actual amount of drive and output than a normal analog drive. And balancing the drive and output levels to be slightly above unity but not blowing out your amp has been pretty challenging.

7. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

I think it's not so much that people don't know how to tweak them, its just that many of us are spoiled with either nice amps or "real" drive pedals that are incredibly superior in sound quality and when placed side by side the L6 drives just fall flat, that being said there are a couple that are decent such as tube drive. Usable but by no means good.

8. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

I think the M9's drives are great. You just have to tweak them totally different. My faves are the boost/comp, Tube Driver, Classic Distortion, and BuzzSaw.

9. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

I will agree, tube drive is useful, the comps are great as well

10. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

yea, i agree the M9's drives are pretty decent. only problem is that they dun stack very well with my analog drive pedals. but i am disappointed with the expression pedal at gigs coz they fail to cut through.

11. Frankenstrat86

Frankenstrat86 Supporting Member

Not sure why your disappointment lies with the expression pedal, simple truth is that while the drives are usable in the m series and maybe awesome for recording (or passable) they really don't sound too cutting with a band. Best bet as others have said is get a dirt/boost or two in front and use the M9 and expression pedal for other things.

12. JamesSGBrown

JamesSGBrown Member

I'm one who uses a ReezaFRATzitz and a Bad Monkey for dirt atm. However, the Classic Distortion and Tube Driver modes on the M9 are pretty nice! (Apparently the Classic Distortion actually sounds really rather close to a RAT to those who have A-B'd them.)

That said, I had the EX-1 for my DL4, but only really to get more presets. I'm not even sure I'll use it much with the M9 (the wahs really suck on it...)

13. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

I am running my other drive pedals before the M9. but i use these drive pedals (RAT, TS9) as a boost on top of the classic distortion module on the M9.

maybe I should try running the pedals after the M9 since they act as a boost.

I set the expression pedal to push the drive, output, mids for the M9 distortion models but fail to cut through in a live setting.

14. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

When I had my DM4, I used to run a Bad Monkey (at low gain) after it for boosting. Helped kind of re-EQ the tones and gave me a nice boost.

15. Spratty59

Spratty59 Member

I do find when I try to use settings on my M9 to boost I'm wasting my time. Maybe not trying to use any distortion based setting will mean you don't need to move your boost otherwise you would need to put a boost after the M9.

16. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

What's the best boost for solos amongst M9 users?

17. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

I have an RC Booster after mine.

18. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've had an M13, M9 and M5 and I've found the drives just don't cut, even in a simple church band. I tried most of them: fuzzes, ODs, distortions and I had to run them super harsh or super loud to hear myself. Now using the M5 for mods/reverbs/delays/filters and going back to my Hermida drive pedals I'm very happy. For maximum flexibility I'd run:
    drive-drive-M9-boost-volume pedal.

19. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

So true....M9s are excellent for really everything except the drives/fuzzes/distortions which sound flat and sterile, however for mods, verbs, delays, and pitch effects, wahs, etc... it's great

20. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

Many folks using the POD HD-series (containing all the M-series effects) swear by the following effect to refine the sound of overdrive, boost it, and cut through the mix better. You'll find this in the M5/9/13.

Mid Focus EQ
    According to Line 6: "A high-pass and a low-pass each with frequency and gain control used together to create a band-pass"

Try it. Use it as a boost.