• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Line 6 M9

Bluesidae

Hi, I am a non-giging guitar player. I have been thinking about a multi-effects pedal. My goal is to dabble with something new and to be creative. I am interested in something that is straightforward. I came across an M9 for a very good price. It is less than half the price of a HX Effects.
Question: I realize this is an older pedal, but I wonder if the M9 will get the job done or should I look for a newer model?

I really appreciate your input!

Thx in advance.

Sammicus15

Silver Supporting Member
I really like those. In fact, I just bought a used M13 at my local Guitar Center. When I was trying it out I was impressed with the sounds I was getting.
While the hardware configuration may seem a bit outdated compared to other offerings, I think the sounds are excellent. Go for it!

borducks

If it’s a great deal, get it. I don’t use mine all of the time but situations come up a lot that make me really happy I got it. Put it in the effect loop of a delay sometime. It’s a blast.

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
Consider an M13.

Here's why: you can load up any four effects - even (as far as I know) 4 delays or reverb simultaneously. And each effect has a maximum of 5 available parameters - and each of those parameters is exposed in plain view and has dedicated hardware knob always available. I'm gonna repeat that: ALL the parameters of ALL loaded effects are ALWAYS in plain view and EVERY ONE has a dedicated knob.

It is the most luxurious interface that a multi-fx could possibly have.

LaceSensor1

Consider an M13.

Here's why: you can load up any four effects - even (as far as I know) 4 delays or reverb simultaneously. And each effect has a maximum of 5 available parameters - and each of those parameters is exposed in plain view and has dedicated hardware knob always available. I'm gonna repeat that: ALL the parameters of ALL loaded effects are ALWAYS in plain view and EVERY ONE has a dedicated knob.

It is the most luxurious interface that a multi-fx could possibly have.

Did I just eat an alien full of acid or what just happened. I'm scared.

Digital Larry

I bought one twice. On the first one, the switches started going out so I did the switch mod myself. That was a pain and I should have just paid someone to do it for $75 or whatever. I sold it when I got my Eleven Rack but that was sort of a mistake. Then I got a couple tube amps with FX loops and got another used M9 but the input levels resulted in unwanted distortion when used in the FX loop. So I gave the M9 to a friend and got an HX Effects. In a way it's over the top for most of what I want to do.

Bluesidae

Hey Larry, how is the HX effects over the top? It is more than I wanted to spend, but it looks interesting.

marshcj

I bought a little M5 awhile back and I like it, some of the mod and delay sounds are pretty good. Plus, if you call and ask Sweetwater or Musicians Friend, they'll probably give you 10-15% off. I got mine that way. They'd probably do it for the M9 too. Happy hunting

Mincer

I own an HX FX and an M9. The effects of the M9 are the ones I use in the HX. The M9 is more like a pedalboard without the ‘chain of effects as a preset’ idea. The M9 is still a remarkable pedal.

Tung-Sol Tube

Thx. I was worried about it being dated. Funny how we appreciate older guitars and amps, but less so for multi-effects units!
A lot of the algorithms hold up very well. They're even included on the newer HX units as "Legacy" effects.

Generally, the dirt models aren't well-loved. There are a couple that are fun and don't sound terrible if you take a minute to dial them in.

The filters are fun, but I don't use them too frequently. The synths and pitch models are good to have.

The modulation effects are quite good. I particularly like the MXR flanger models, choruses, DC-2 emulation, and vibrato.

I like some of the reverbs, which are from the Verbzilla (plus the particle). I definitely understand why folks want more updates to the reverbs on the newer units (like Glitz, Ganymede, Plateaux, etc.), but some of the Verbzilla algorithms compare very well to modern mid-priced units.

The delays are from the DL-4 and I like a handful of them. The auto-volume echo is the best I've used and beats out units 3x the price of my M5. The tape and analog emulations are fine, but by no means best-in-class today. They're definitely usable, but it's a bit of a letdown they didn't add the tape and analog modes from the Echo Park (Line 6 was talking about doing this on the forums back in the day).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom