Line 6 M9

Kluch

A lot of the algorithms hold up very well. They're even included on the newer HX units as "Legacy" effects.

Generally, the dirt models aren't well-loved. There are a couple that are fun and don't sound terrible if you take a minute to dial them in.

The filters are fun, but I don't use them too frequently. The synths and pitch models are good to have.

The modulation effects are quite good. I particularly like the MXR flanger models, choruses, DC-2 emulation, and vibrato.

I like some of the reverbs, which are from the Verbzilla (plus the particle). I definitely understand why folks want more updates to the reverbs on the newer units (like Glitz, Ganymede, Plateaux, etc.), but some of the Verbzilla algorithms compare very well to modern mid-priced units.

The delays are from the DL-4 and I like a handful of them. The auto-volume echo is the best I've used and beats out units 3x the price of my M5. The tape and analog emulations are fine, but by no means best-in-class today. They're definitely usable, but it's a bit of a letdown they didn't add the tape and analog modes from the Echo Park (Line 6 was talking about doing this on the forums back in the day).
I know I'm in the minority but a few of the drive models were pretty versatile IMO. They may not feel exactly like an analog drive pedal but the tube driver in particular always sounded great to me.

I know I'm in the minority but a few of the drive models were pretty versatile IMO. They may not feel exactly like an analog drive pedal but the tube driver in particular always sounded great to me.
You're not alone. I actually really like a lot of the drives and dirt in my M5. I don't agree with a lot of the comments I've seen about how bad they are. For me, they sound damn close to what they are emulating.

Tung-Sol Tube

The Tube Drive, DOD 250, and Octavia model are fun, too. I don't find the Big Muff, Fuzz Face, or Tube Screamer models to be that accurate to the real deal, though.

I actually really like the Line 6 Drive model. The mids control is a misnomer on that model. The original DM4 manual explains how it goes from 60s to 80s (actually from 70s, to 80s, back to 60s) and the effects list describes it as a Colorsound Tone Bender emulation. The FX Parameters guide states that 50% is similar to the the Rat or the Boss DS-2 and maximum is like the Sola Sound Tone Bender.

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
You're not alone. I actually really like a lot of the drives and dirt in my M5. I don't agree with a lot of the comments I've seen about how bad they are. For me, they sound damn close to what they are emulating.

Yeah, but the baseline of your comparison is merely an acceptable norm, as opposed to a really high standard.

Ouch!

Reyybarra

Silver Supporting Member
it's not bad, kinda meh, not really an inspiration machine to me, I find the chase bliss stuff to be more inspirational machines. the m9 is a get it done machine. Not many things in there were fun, it was kinda like an updated dod dual pedal from the 90's where it had some stuff in there that was just useless...

Digital Larry

Hey Larry, how is the HX effects over the top? It is more than I wanted to spend, but it looks interesting.
Let's just say it's less intuitive than the M9, as a result of its expanded flexibility, which is of course the tradeoff that is always made.

I also have a Boss SY-1 synth pedal, which is cool and I have used it on a couple tracks already, but that's not my main focus, so other than auditioning the synth/harmony FX I don't have any designs to use them soon. Yes, 1st world problems.

The comment is also just a personal reflection of what I am doing currently, which is trying to track basic guitar sounds into my DAW and then adding most effects in there. I'll get around to more fully exploring the HX eventually.

hallissyc

Silver Supporting Member
I had an M5 before I went full Helix. They are nice. I think you will be happy with the M9. Great sounds in that little box, plus nice form factor.

eddie knuckles

Gold Supporting Member
Other options include an old Eleven Rack or an old J-Station.

You can plug the eleven rack into your computer for an easy interface, amp/cab sim, effects, presets in stereo, etc..

Bluesidae

Lots of great points to consider. Thanks so much! Now I am looking at the HX Effects. This looks great, but it is 2x the price. For playing at home, it appears the M9 may be more than enough for my needs?

ddhr

I have a Stomp, but still use my 11R. I load IRs in Garageband and the amp sims work real well too.

Snottyboy

M9 is great for playing at home. I bought one a little over a year ago primarily for a simple solution for looper, reverb, and mods. I don't know how it fares against higher end individual pedals, or other pricier multi units. For what I paid, it accomplished what I wanted it for.

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
Other options include an old Eleven Rack or an old J-Station.

You can plug the eleven rack into your computer for an easy interface, amp/cab sim, effects, presets in stereo, etc..

I had a J-Station, and while it can be acquired at a very economical price, I didn't find that it had any other features to recommend it. It might have been a desirable item at the time it was released but that time was a long time ago...

Pope Murphy

M9 is great. M13 is a little bit mo better if you can find one on the cheap.

If you can swing a little extra for teh HX, you'll be glad you did it.

Not a fan of the M13 I used to have. Levels are all over the place, the dynamic range is silly low, the drives sound either harsh and/ or 'recorded' and I just never could connect with the unit. It was a great learning experience about pedals, though. And it has plenty of options and models, so if quantity matters more than quality then it likely would not disappoint.

Then there are units from Tech 21 and T-Rex that are all analogue , and those TC Electronic multis are pretty cool.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom