• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Line 6 M9

Bluesidae

Was doing some ready on the M9. It says it was released around 2008. Really amazing that there are still so many users and that it is still being manufactured/sold!

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
I was joking about the $350 CDN = $200 US. Probably $275 US. Sorry, CDN humor!
Was doing some ready on the M9. It says it was released around 2008. Really amazing that there are still so many users and that it is still being manufactured/sold!
did u buy one?

$275 us is too high. they were going for under 200 pre covid. source: sold mine.

good effect unit though

Kluch

M13 is still my favorite layout ever for gigging.
M13 was one of my all time favorite "pedals" from a utility/work flow perspective. I sold it thinking the "grass was greener". Still not sure if it was or not, lol. I remember owning the TC nova system twice and realizing I enjoyed my m13 more... guess I'm crazy.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Some people have dissed the overdrives/distortions. My approach, having relied almost exclusively on my M13 IIRC for almost a decade, relies on these two principles:

(1) Try all of the overdrives/distortions, then select and use only the 2 or 3 you like best (these days, for me, it's the 1 I like best in 3 variations).​
(2) Take some time, with the ones you choose, to experiment deeply with them as the controls for some of them can be exceptionally sensitive to even minor tweaks.​

Do this, and you'll be a happy guitarist.

An analogy I like to use with the M-series products is that of your car's driver's seat.

Your driver's seat has virtually an infinite number of possible settings. You buy the car, play with the seat settings, find what works for you, set it, and leave it (except perhaps for minor adjustments on long drives).

No one says, in response to this, "What a waste my driver's seat is. So many possible settings and I only like and use one." Why not is obvious.

For some reason, the analogous functionality and practical usage of the M13 is less obvious to many people.

Kluch

Some people have dissed the overdrives/distortions. My approach, having relied almost exclusively on my M13 IIRC for almost a decade, relies on these two principles:

(1) Try all of the overdrives/distortions, then select and use only the 2 or 3 you like best (these days, for me, it's the 1 I like best in 3 variations).​
(2) Take some time, with the ones you choose, to experiment deeply with them as the controls for some of them can be exceptionally sensitive to even minor tweaks.​

An analogy I like to use with the M-series products is that of your car's driver's seat.

Your driver's seat has virtually an infinite number of possible settings. You buy the car, play with the seat settings, find what works for you, set it, and leave it (except perhaps for minor adjustments on long drives).

No one says, in response to this, "What a waste my driver's seat is. So many possible settings and I only like and use one." Why not is obvious.

For some reason, the analogous functionality and practical usage of the M13 is less obvious to many people.
I have a friend who's a monster guitarist. He used the m13 for years while touring (now he's got a helix unsurprisingly). Initially he kept his trusty fulldrive 2 on his board but eventually he told me that with tweaking he could completely replicate the tube driver model to mimic his fulldrive 2 and ended up removing it from his board soon after.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
First off, that price is high for a used unit. Dave's sold an M13 for less than $200 last week. I'd suggest doing a Reverb and Ebay search and saving it, find an M9 for around $200 US and that'd be a good deal. Even with USPS shipping to Canada it shouldn't be terrible.

As to the M9 vs the HXFX, they're both all digital effects boxes and they will be abandoned by the manufacturer and gradually lose value until they're door stops. For playing around at home, I definitely go M9. Maybe not as well integrated as the newer stuff, but the interface is super intuitive and if you're starting out that's a great way to go.

OTOH, the suggestion to go with a Johnson J-Station for your first multi-effects unit is solid. $25, last time I priced one, decent sounds, some amp modeling as well, fairly intuitive and you can just throw it away when you're done! That'll give you some idea if you want editing/digital effects or if you might be happier with analog/stand alone stuff in the end.

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
M13 was one of my all time favorite "pedals" from a utility/work flow perspective. I sold it thinking the "grass was greener". Still not sure if it was or not, lol. I remember owning the TC nova system twice and realizing I enjoyed my m13 more... guess I'm crazy.
Me too. Nova System sounds better with a tube amp but the M13 workflow - still the best ever for live gigs.

Bluesidae

Used one is sold. New one is $480 CDN (approx $380 USD). I can get a used HX Effects for $200 CDN more...

Larry Eh?

I have an M5. Right now I only use the Mid Focus EQ effect. It's great as an OD as you can adjust the HP and LP filters to shape that mid hump. And I change programs by MIDI from my rig.

Ayns

I bought a used M9 about a year ago, but never got around to playing with it. I’ve been having a clear out so I offered it to our other guitarist, but I’ve had a play with it today and I‘m not sure I want to sell it anymore :)

I don’t use delay and modulation effects much with my current band, but I think the delays are fantastic and the Phasers, Chorus and Flangers are also great. I was thinking about buying an HX Stomp/ HX Effects, but I might end up keeping the M9. :)

Snottyboy

I bought a used M9 about a year ago, but never got around to playing with it. I’ve been having a clear out so I offered it to our other guitarist, but I’ve had a play with it today and I‘m not sure I want to sell it anymore :)

I don’t use delay and modulation effects much with my current band, but I think the delays are fantastic and the Phasers, Chorus and Flangers are also great. I was thinking about buying an HX Stomp/ HX Effects, but I might end up keeping the M9. :)
I use it exclusively for modulation. Good enough for my purposes.

StompBoxBlues

My experience is the same. The presets aren’t good, but enough to hear which ones are most promising and with a little tweaking, they become pretty nice.

Another thing, a little like a Zendrive, when you play in a band (I know the OP mentioned wanting it for playing at home, but if he is recording, or playing along with a stereo it’s still important) the settings that cut through beautifully are not settings one would choose while sitting alone tweaking it.

But also, here’s another idea. It doesn’t have to be either or. You can still put your favorite actual, physical OD in front of the M9, or even insert it in the chain elsewhere. Best of both worlds.

over the years I have bought and tried many ME units, and to me the M9 was the most intuitive, the closest to physical pedals, intuitive and easy to tweak.

I haven’t gotten through all the posts (stopped to respond to this one) so like a detective novel, am in suspense if the OP pulled th trigger and if he liked it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom