Line 6 MM4? Is it for me?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stratasaurus, Feb 13, 2008.

1. stratasaurus

stratasaurus Member

After fussing around with pedals and huge boards for a while I have decided to downsize to some basics - A tuner, a couple overdrives, a phaser, and delay.

But, I would still like some modulation options. I have been using a little bit of MXR EVH flange and also an ibanez chorus set to high speed for leslie-ish sounds. I don't use them often but they are used in keys spots during some songs I do. I am thinking it might be cool to replace those two units with an MM4 which would also give me two other presets for say trem and maybe ring mod or something. Those type of sounds would work in the context of my band as well.

Does anyone have experience with the MM4. What do you think. I hear alot of differing stories regarding durability but then again there seem to be a lot of pros with Line 6 on their boards so they can't be all bad? I sure would like one unit that could do all the wacky modulation stuff I want without having to keep an extra 4 or 5 pedals on my board.

2. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Hey there, I will probably take some crap for this, but I liked the mm4 quite a bit. I ended up going with a couple dedicated pedals, but it really is a fantastic box, especially with the expression pedal option. I like the chorus models, the phase 90 is okay, and the leslie is nice. The dimmension chorus sold me on iit, it's really very nice. My only thing was the volume drop when you engaged it. The keeley mod fixes this, and I may pick up another and have that done sometime, but I love my rotosphere and choralflange, and couldn't part with them at this juncture. My humble advice, get a cheap used one and send it to Robert for his magic, and you'll probably be very happy,
    Kurt

3. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

The MM4 is a very decent box (except for a couple of really bad models in it) if modulation is not your main thing but rather for sporadic use. Keeley mod is a must, BUT, that's not really keeley's, it's Jeorge Tripps (Way Huge guy who worked for Line 6), and the important part of it is actually very easy to do yourself - I mean if a soldering iron doesn't scare you too much - just follow the instructions here. Good luck.

4. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

There cool when they work. Mine crapped out on me. Ive seen more pedals from this series for sale on Ebay sold as is(cuz there broken) then any other type. So quality has proven suspect.

5. mrp3118

mrp3118 Member

For the price I would look at the new T.C. Electronic Modular.

6. stratasaurus

stratasaurus Member

Thanks guys, I was looking at the TC option as well. It looks like it should be good, my only issue is having to scroll through presets to get the sounds I need. Is it a big pain to do this - do guys have experience with the TC Delay and scrolling through presets? It is a way smaller footprint too, I guess I'll look at that when it comes out - march??,april???

7. mrp3118

mrp3118 Member

8. disaster

disaster Member

It's certainly a good pedal. I'm not saying it sounds "boutique," but I'm glad I got it instead of a bunch of more expensive pedals. Some of the sounds (i'm looking at you "rotary" models!) are too quiet to use live, but other than that, it does everything I wanted it to do.

9. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I haven't used the MM-4, but I had a PodXT Live for a while, which had many of hte same models. The Opto trem was one of my favorites, but I could never get any of the chorus's to sound anythign close to my standalone units (Bi-mode chorus, CE-300, CE-3) (although I didn't have the Dimension D model . . . that one is supposed to be pretty good). I hated the flanges and don't use vibes or rotaries much. Honestly, it was the lack of decent chorus that got me to go back to pedals - I liked their delays, reverbs and Vox sims . . .