Line 6 - MM4 vs M9 vs HX for modulation

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Vic Interceptor, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

Right now I've got a MM4 I've had for years but rarely use. I only use it for bias tremolo and rotary speaker sounds. What I like about it :
    1 - the bias trem speed/intensity following effect.
    2 - I have whatever the expression pedal L6 makes for it to morph from slow/fast on the Leslie stuff.

What I don't like :
    1 - limited usable effects
    2 - power requirement
    3 - limited presets

So I'm wondering if maybe a M9 or HX might give me what I like and change what I dont. I'm satisfied with the tones of the MM4, just curious what's out there and since I don't keep up with the modeling stuff I figured I'd ask the panel of experts for their (your) opinions.

Thanks in advance!

2. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

M9 will have the same modulation effects as the mm4, but also give you the sounds of the dl4, fm4, dm4, and reverb and eq effects. It's all the same effects as the hd500, and you can do 3 at a time, plus a looper. Used they are really really affordable.

The HX gives you all that the M9 does as "legacy" effects, plus all the new Helix effects. You also get an IR loader, scribble strips, more flexible signal routing, more effects at once, and better construction (from what I've read). The price is definitely a step up, but it's not overpriced IMO.

FlyingsCool and Vic Interceptor like this.
  3. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Member

Just to add: HXFX has a robust midi implementation as well.

4. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

The sound quality has jumped up a good bit

5. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

sound quality as in ? I mean, does the Leslie sound more like a real Leslie? Or is it the old "volume drop/raise" issues I see others having?

6. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

That's something I never thought of, knew anything about, or figured on using. I'm just looking for a "big box of crayons" primarily for the bias trem and leslie effects. The rest of the stuff is just a bonus for someday if I ever needed any of it. For example, I do not use a Tube Screamer but you never know when someone or some song is going to want it, so having it in a multi-effect would suit me fine.

FlyingsCool and eoengineer like this.
  7. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

Maybe I can provide a practical use case for you. Let’s say you use your HXFX with your tube rig. All is great.

...Then you decide you want something for headphone practice/recording/bedroom and you grab the super discounted Helix Native. You realize “Hey, this is great, I wish I could control the software with something” and enter your trusty HXFX which not only will act as a midi controller, but can be set up to mimic your live setup if you program it correctly.

...this is where I’m at right now, and it’s pretty fantastic.

MIJLOVER and Vic Interceptor like this.
  8. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

HXFX all the way here. The HXFX has the HD effects which are a quite nice addition to the legacy collection from the M and 4 series stuff. The HXFX is also where you'll get future refinements and new effects.

MIJLOVER and FlyingsCool like this.
  9. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

does the same exp pedal work on the hx as the Mm4?