Line 6 POD Go

Aahzz

Wow. You've had a lot of stuff, and clearly know how to approach using it to its best.

I only just re-entered Line 6 land after a long break. I had a POD XT Live about 15 years ago. It sounded ok and was immensely powerful for its time. But the user interface eventually drove me back to a 2 channel valve amp with reverb and a pedal or two. Fast forward to now, and I have just picked up a Nextone Artist as my base amp, and HX Effects for OD, delay, looper ... and probably a few more sounds. The user interface is brilliant ... light years ahead of my last Line 6 experience. I was going to go with POD Go too, but the extra flexibility in the signal chain swayed me ... not to mention the scribble strips. Being able to set the amp/cab up with regular old school twisty knobs is a winner for me at the moment ... but, who knows, with the tones and ease of use that I've experienced so far with HXE, with a bit more time and confidence, maybe a full Helix Floor might call to me.
As much as I love my Pod Go (sold my Helix LT after I got it) I'm feeling the siren call of a full Helix Floor - scribble strips are a large part of that, along with the teasers of many good things coming in 3.0.

Voxman5

As much as I love my Pod Go (sold my Helix LT after I got it) I'm feeling the siren call of a full Helix Floor - scribble strips are a large part of that, along with the teasers of many good things coming in 3.0.
For me the size and weight are a no go. I did contemplate picking up a Helix LT because used prices have really fallen (in the UK you can pick up an LT for around £500, which is only £100 more than Pod Go) but I got the Pod Go to get away from the size and weight of my Vox Tonelab SE, and because floor space is limited in my small den, the much smaller Pod Go foot print and light weight is perfect.

But I have a sneaking suspicion that Line 6 will be bringing out a much smaller, lighter, replacement for Helix / Helix LT before too long. As successful as Helix has been, I think mfx like Pod Go and the Mooer GE300 have shown there's a genuine and growing customer preference for smaller lighter units, and I'm convinced Line 6 will be looking to capitalise on that.

Last edited:

slugworth

I haven't been paying attention to what's rumored for Helix 3.0. What are the highlights? Every now and then I feel pangs of going back to Helix.

I am looking forward to POD Go Wireless, but also secretly hoping that there will be such a thing as Helix LT Wireless. Yes, I know I can get a separate wireless unit. But having it all in one would be right up my alley.

Aahzz

I haven't been paying attention to what's rumored for Helix 3.0. What are the highlights? Every now and then I feel pangs of going back to Helix.

I am looking forward to POD Go Wireless, but also secretly hoping that there will be such a thing as Helix LT Wireless. Yes, I know I can get a separate wireless unit. But having it all in one would be right up my alley.
The only rumor I know for sure is poly pitch shifting, which I don't actually need, but Digital Igloo has said most of the new models won't fit in Pod Go, and there's some new dark horse feature they're really excited about.

While I've been thrilled with my simple patches on the Go, I'm also starting to see the value of having more DSP to add a few more effects into a patch for easier switching as my jam band heads a bit more into psychedelic territory...I'd use snapshots but given the nature of it being a jam band I rarely do the same thing twice.

OrneryDude

I'm somewhat annoyed that I'm in the same boat. Now, the POD Go basically does everything I need it to do and it does it well. The problem is that I have so many extravagant, complicated, not to mention insane and stupid ideas for sounds and patches I'd like to build in my head that I just might, during a momentary lapse of reason, pull the trigger on a Helix.

And I'll say it right now, it will not be because of pure necessity. Or maybe it will? Who knows.

slugworth

The only rumor I know for sure is poly pitch shifting, which I don't actually need, but Digital Igloo has said most of the new models won't fit in Pod Go, and there's some new dark horse feature they're really excited about.

While I've been thrilled with my simple patches on the Go, I'm also starting to see the value of having more DSP to add a few more effects into a patch for easier switching as my jam band heads a bit more into psychedelic territory...I'd use snapshots but given the nature of it being a jam band I rarely do the same thing twice.
That's where I'm mostly fine with the POD Go. I'm really just after meat and potatoes guitar tone. I want my guitars to sound like guitars. I hit the limitations here and there, but mostly they are minor inconveniences, and if I hadn't owned a Helix previously, I wouldn't know the difference.

Aahzz

That's where I'm mostly fine with the POD Go. I'm really just after meat and potatoes guitar tone. I want my guitars to sound like guitars. I hit the limitations here and there, but mostly they are minor inconveniences, and if I hadn't owned a Helix previously, I wouldn't know the difference.
I'm with you on the guitar sounding like a guitar - and normally I'm using nothing more than some level of drive and a bit of delay that I kick up on leads, with a very occasional phaser...but every now and then I really wish I'd selected a flanger or chorus to have in the patch, and it'd be so much easier to have those available with the full Helix - along with the aforementioned nameable scribble strips. I also thought about snagging an HX Effects and running it in the loop of the Pod Go...would be more affordable, but I think I'm going full Helix and still keeping the Go for my living room/backup rig. Which, of course, means I'll be selling the FlyRig I just bought as a backup, which is still a nice little unit.

Of course none of this will happen until someone buys the PRS CE 24 I have listed on Reverb, so I have a few minutes to decide for sure.

timbuck2

pod go is entry level helix period.U guys wanting to do crazy effects chains and dsp heavy stuff shouldnt even consider the podgo. As far as updates I dont expect the podgo to really excell in this dept because of dsp limits but its more of a buy it for what it can do now at its intended pricepoint. Its to get all they GC kids onboard at $450 or less ;

zaboomafoo

pod go is entry level helix period.U guys wanting to do crazy effects chains and dsp heavy stuff shouldnt even consider the podgo. As far as updates I dont expect the podgo to really excell in this dept because of dsp limits but its more of a buy it for what it can do now at its intended pricepoint. Its to get all they GC kids onboard at $450 or less ;
My concern is that pod go might share the fate of pod hd300/400. They were very much a dead end as soon as they arrived.
I like pod go as it is, still it would be nice to get thrown a bone once in a while to boost the morale .

Voxman5

I mostly agree, although I think it's a bit simplistic to suggest it's for GC kids. For a lot of mature users like myself, size and weight were a major consideration. The reason I didn't go LT wasn't because of cost but because the LT is only slightly smaller and lighter than Helix Floor and I dont want another big heavy mfx unit. Also, I really dont want or need a lot of the added sophistication of LT and I think there is a huge number of non GC Kid players who bought Pod Go for similar reasons.

Voxman5

My concern is that pod go might share the fate of pod hd300/400. They were very much a dead end as soon as they arrived.
I like pod go as it is, still it would be nice to get thrown a bone once in a while to boost the morale .
Not quite the same, as there is only one Pod Go. I suspect if anything we'll see a Pod Go II Pro later that might be a lot closer to e.g. LT in a smaller lighter and cheaper package, with Line 6 possibly revamping its full Helix range.

phil_m

Supporting Member
I think the HD300/400 thing was all sales driven. The numbers just weren’t there, so they couldn’t really justify trying to make updates for them. Also, I think given the fixed knob format of those devices, they just didn’t really lend themselves to frequent updates.

timbuck2

well for $450 in this day and age thats just how it is. when the whole $999.99 trend started people expected alot of updates and additions to be continued more or less. This is where headrush has really failed and the gt1000- not that they are poor units but at that pricepoint consumers expect updates thanx to the fractal/helix mindset.

Voxman5

well for $450 in this day and age thats just how it is. when the whole $999.99 trend started people expected alot of updates and additions to be continued more or less. This is where headrush has really failed and the gt1000- not that they are poor units but at that pricepoint consumers expect updates thanx to the fractal/helix mindset.
Conversely, I think one of the winners here in terms of updates is for Mooer GE300 owners (these are around £535 UK so not too far away from Pod Go prices). They seem to be doing some fairly regular updates that users seem very pleased about and as far as I'm aware these have all been genuine enhancements rather than fixing glitches (in fact, I don't recall seeing any real glitches with their firmware since issue).

timbuck2

Conversely, I think one of the winners here in terms of updates is for Mooer GE300 owners (these are around £535 UK so not too far away from Pod Go prices). They seem to be doing some fairly regular updates that users seem very pleased about and as far as I'm aware these have all been genuine enhancements rather than fixing glitches (in fact, I don't recall seeing any real glitches with their firmware since issue).
Sorry i didnt realize that.I guess i forgot about mooer and nux. I still get awesome vox tones from my tonelab se and older ad60/120vtx amps.

Evilution

I mostly agree, although I think it's a bit simplistic to suggest it's for GC kids. For a lot of mature users like myself, size and weight were a major consideration. The reason I didn't go LT wasn't because of cost but because the LT is only slightly smaller and lighter than Helix Floor and I dont want another big heavy mfx unit. Also, I really dont want or need a lot of the added sophistication of LT and I think there is a huge number of non GC Kid players who bought Pod Go for similar reasons.
I think the same. The only thing that put me way off regarding the Helix is the size and weight, others has proven that you can make a much smaller and lighter similar unit with similar power and almost the same number of switches, with POD Go line6 went even smaller and lighter, but the power and number of switches was less, maybe they can make something more similar Helix LT but much smaller and lighter.

That said, i find myself barely using any effects lately, mainly just distorted amp or clean with reverb, delay on solos so the POD Go could go a long way if i had one. In the 90´s i used my JCM800 with just a delay, phaser and octave pedal and the amps built in spring reverb and i was fine with that.

Voxman5

Sorry i didnt realize that.I guess i forgot about mooer and nux. I still get awesome vox tones from my tonelab se and older ad60/120vtx amps.
Ditto. The blue series were the best of the Valvetronix amps. My rig of AD120VTX, AD212 extn cab, VC12 floor controller, and EQ700, BBE SSM and Boosta Grande in the fx loop was the best most versatile rig I ever had, but I'm too old now to schlap all this out. So for the last few years I've used my TLSE (I have the TLLE too) for gigging. Built like a tank, still sounds great, superb flexibility live, heavy duty PSU. But its akin to Helix size and weight so the Pod Go with its light weight, small footprint, and great flexibility and tones with modern features and modelling, was the first unit at a reasonable price point that could tear me away from the TLSE. Only poor thing about it is the cheap and nasty PSU that's cable is too short and too thin. I wish I could find something more robust that's guaranteed safe to use with Pod Go.

slugworth

My concern is that pod go might share the fate of pod hd300/400. They were very much a dead end as soon as they arrived. I like pod go as it is, still it would be nice to get thrown a bone once in a while to boost the morale .
I don't see this as a concern. I was in the beta test group for POD HD and originally was assigned as a tester on HD400. I had extensive experience with earlier POD generations.

The HD500 was cool, and the revolution of the completely flexible parallel signal chains allowed all sorts of "tone hacks" that let you overcome the inherent weakness of the POD HD generation, which is that it just didn't sound very good. There were good aspects, for sure, and great tones were (and still are) in those units, but you had to really, really spice it up a LOT to sound great. You had to use dual amps, dual cabs, separate EQs, stacked compressors, and things that just couldn't be done on HD300/HD400. You couldn't just take an amp and cab and sound awesome (at least to get the tones in my head), and that plus a very limited signal chain construct was all you had in HD300/HD400.

The HD models got better over time and covered more ground. Maybe HD300/HD400 would have done better later in the POD HD product cycle with those improved models. But another reason why they failed was because there just wasn't that much of a price difference. IIRC the HD300 was $300, the HD400 was $400, and the HD500 was $500. The HD300 was obviously crippled, the HD400 had a little more, but the HD500 was a huge jump up for not much more money.

Maybe POD Go wouldn't have been nearly as awesome early on in the Helix product cycle with only the amps/cabs/FX that were available at launch. I think the Go would be a flop if it were only $100 cheaper than Helix LT. But at $450 vs $1200, and as good as Helix models sound (you CAN just pick an amp and pick a cab and sound great), POD Go is not going to fail like POD HD300/HD400 did.

Voxman5

I don't see this as a concern. I was in the beta test group for POD HD and originally was assigned as a tester on HD400. I had extensive experience with earlier POD generations.

The HD500 was cool, and the revolution of the completely flexible parallel signal chains allowed all sorts of "tone hacks" that let you overcome the inherent weakness of the POD HD generation, which is that it just didn't sound very good. There were good aspects, for sure, and great tones were (and still are) in those units, but you had to really, really spice it up a LOT to sound great. You had to use dual amps, dual cabs, separate EQs, stacked compressors, and things that just couldn't be done on HD300/HD400. You couldn't just take an amp and cab and sound awesome (at least to get the tones in my head), and that plus a very limited signal chain construct was all you had in HD300/HD400.

The HD models got better over time and covered more ground. Maybe HD300/HD400 would have done better later in the POD HD product cycle with those improved models. But another reason why they failed was because there just wasn't that much of a price difference. IIRC the HD300 was $300, the HD400 was $400, and the HD500 was $500. The HD300 was obviously crippled, the HD400 had a little more, but the HD500 was a huge jump up for not much more money.

Maybe POD Go wouldn't have been nearly as awesome early on in the Helix product cycle with only the amps/cabs/FX that were available at launch. I think the Go would be a flop if it were only $100 cheaper than Helix LT. But at $450 vs $1200, and as good as Helix models sound (you CAN just pick an amp and pick a cab and sound great), POD Go is not going to fail like POD HD300/HD400 did.
Excellent post!

Trending Topics