Line 6 POD Go

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by TheSchwartz, Jan 15, 2020.

1. timbuck2

timbuck2 Member

Thank you for those thoughts. Since this will be the lowest priced modeler from line 6 at this time i wonder how much of this price point is tarrifs? $50? $100? Just wondering.

Panders likes this.
  2. Panders

Panders Member

What are the downsides to putting the cab at the end? Because like you say with a physical amp rig it would end up that way. Is there a specific reason digital chains are built with the delay and reverb after the cab?

3. rd2rk

rd2rk Member

Because the cab is MONO, which would cause the preceding stereo effects to sum to MONO.

Madmax25 and Panders like this.
  4. Panders

Panders Member

Oh no that's not good! Thanks.

5. coderKen

coderKen Supporting Member

I hadn't considered that however, it doesn't really affect me because I'm only running in mono anyhow. Also, I'm rarely (if ever) running both the normal and amp outs at the same time.

Madmax25 and Panders like this.
  6. Evilution

Evilution Member

Thanks for the answer, i dont think you answered it before, im the one with the GT-pro BTW.

To me its a bit of a flaw that the amp out cant be without cab emulation unless its it at the end if you want all the effects to your amp which one usually does, this makes the effects mono since the cab is mono, this is not ideal for me as i have thought about going stereo for my new band since i am the only guitarplayer and we are just guitar, bass, drums and vocals.

Im not sure at the moment how it is done in the Boss GT-Pro, but the cab block is a part of the amp block and cant be separated from it, you can use dual amps as well with each of them having their own cab and mic settings. In the output select you can chose for both the XLR (sub out) and TRS (main out) separately for example "Line /phones " which gives speaker emulation and "Stack amp" which gives no emulation. You can move the order of amp and all effect blocks on the GT-pro.

The lack of separate output EQ for the AMP is the most serious flaw and it may certainly be a deal breaker for me, how are you supposed to be able to get a good sound out of a power amp and cab while at the same time get a good sound to FOH ? this doesnt make any sense.

Here is a couple of screenshots from the GT-pro editor which may explain a bit how its constructed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Madmax25 likes this.
  7. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

The POD Go isn’t designed to work in any and every possible setup a person can imagine. It’s designed to fit the most common sorts of playing scenarios that would probably work for a majority of people. For more sophisticated routing and such, it’s probably worth looking at the Helix LT.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  8. Evilution

Evilution Member

I of course realise that its not a top model like the GT-pro was, it cost more than a Helix LT if you count the inflation (almost the same without inflation). The reason why im not really considering the Helix lt is that it is huge and heavy which makes it impractical in my case, im looking for a floor modeler mostly to scale down and to be able to take all i need on a train etc, just bring guitar, modeler and maybe a small pedal size power amp, some venues have cabs or even some amp that can be used for the stage sound. I guess the amp out can be used for an actual amp like head or a combo that has EQ settings, in my case i use power amp and cab so its not compatible. Even the Mooer GE250 which is cheaper (in Europe) than the POD go has separate output EQ for XLR and TRS.

I will have to look at other brands than Line6 it seems.

Madmax25 likes this.
  9. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

One thing you might be able to do, if you're not using the FX Loop for anything, is to put the FX Loop in between the amp and cab/IR block and use the Send jack to feed your power amp. That way your amp would be getting the modeled amp but not the cab modeling. You'd just have to set Mix in the FX Loop to 50% so it passes signal through to the cab block and main outs.

10. Panders

Panders Member

Watching someone go out of their way to help is truly inspiring to me and it makes me happy to join the Line 6 family with my purchase of the GO. Just wanted to throw that out there - I'm 100% on board. Cheers to you sir.

coderKen and James Knox like this.
  11. Axl Axeman

Axl Axeman Member

I was thinking about this in the shower (as you do), and I came to the following thoughts I decided to share...
    - I got in to amp modelling to avoid carting big gear to shows, and, to that end, I should avoid taking a stage amp, because if I'm going to do that, I may as well just take the stage amp and not connect to FOH

- if I really MUST take a stage amp (and this isn't a criticism of anyone else, its a statement of my ability to take 5,000 more things than I need to take) I could just use my Stomp in the effects loop of my amp with the same effects set to the same settings as the Pod Go, and I'd get the same results.

There are some clunks with this, like you couldn't turn things on and off both systems simultaneously except perhaps midi from Stomp to Pod Go, but mostly it makes me circle back to why am I using this, and the idea is minimalism, so I should try and stick with that.

12. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

Minimalism is part of it for me.
    CONSISTENCY is a big one.
    The other big one for me is volume.
    I can't get the tones I like without being too loud.
    Then I don't sound as good through the FOH.

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  13. Axl Axeman

Axl Axeman Member

The second and third parts of your thing are easy to solve with unlimited gear and resources, but that destroys the first, and if it also destroys FOH I'd say thats a good point to draw a line.

Theoretically I should be able to just gig with a Stomp, but I have two of those, plus a Floor... plus a this, plus a that, so any.. deficiencies the Pod Go has can be catered for, but introduce additional clunk, mess, volume (as in size, not audio), etc

I think, for me personally, I'm going to try to use just the Pod Go, with maybe an overdrive pedal ahead or in the loop, and call it a day.

John Mark Painter likes this.
  14. Axl Axeman

Axl Axeman Member

I forgot a third solution! Sell my amps and get something FRFR like Powercab or Alto or whatever, and have the same output to that as I do to FOH.. but then I'm yet again lugging around something heavy and extra, which circles back to why am I not carrying the least possible stuff.

Madmax25 likes this.
  15. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

That's what I do with Powercab or HR 112 and a Helix Floor.
    UNLESS I am doing a show with excellent production where I know I can get the monitors sounding great.
    But the setup is still way more streamlined and consistent.
    Helix Backpack, two instrument cables, to IEC cables in a backpack.
    That is actually partially why I don't use Stomp any more.
    Even though the Floor is bigger, I am not messing with expansion switches, pedalboards and wall warts.
    ANd I have separate volume/global EQ for my monitor.
    Also not working around DSP limitations and don't have to change presets as often.

But of course...it costs more.

If I was riding a subway to gigs every day, I might take the trouble to stay with a smaller setup. And I would figure out an IEM too

16. Evilution

Evilution Member

Thank you for the suggestion ! It may possibly be a valid solution for getting an output to the amp while still having stereo effects and speaker emulation to the FOH, i wasnt planning on using the effect loop anyway.
    However this doesnt solve the lack of separate EQ for the amp output, at rehearsals im definately using power amp and guitar speaker anyway and i want to be able to use both guitarcab/poweramp and FOH even though the setup will vary since i dont want to bring my own cab to gigs in many cases and i may gig without poweramp/cab sometimes.
    The reason that i much prefer using a amp/cab on stage is that i dont feel that i can get at all the same feel through wedge monitors as a pumping guitar cab, i play metal and "chug" is a big part of the sound, the sound in wedge monitors tends to be fairly thin and shrill in my opinion.

Santuzzo likes this.
  17. Madmax25

Madmax25 Member

One more thing to note, that I had kind of forgotten myself, is that some modelers actually sound better with the cab block ON, even when running it into a Power amp. I've personally experienced that with the Atomic Amplifire. Which, ironically, DOES allow you to disable the cab modelling on some outputs. But then again, Atomic cab models are ALWAYS at the end of the chain.

18. Evilution

Evilution Member

Maybe, i dont know, the main problem for me is the lack of separate EQ for the amp output which is a major mistake IMO.
    I just checked and the Boss GT-1000 has pretty much the exact same possibilities as the GT-pro when it comes to the choice of output in the output settings, you can chose speaker emulated output separately for Main (TRS) and Sub (XLR) output and there are separate output EQ´s for TRS and XLR. The Mooer GE300 has three separate output EQ´s TRS, XLR and phones, the GE250 two separate output EQ´s.

19. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

I guess that's why Mooer is the industry standard ;)

Panders likes this.
  20. Evilution

Evilution Member

Well i dont know what the industry standard is today. Boss used to be the standard for many years at least and it seems that Mooer has got a lot of things right and for an old electronics product manager like me the physical build quality of Line6 products doesnt impress, the build of the Mooers looks very nice. Mooer is a new company and may certainly have a great future who knows, many leading and giant corporations has made the mistake of thinking they were invinsible to be completely run over by the competition, like for example Nokia.
    What is interesting is who makes the best products not who sells the most unless you are some investor or something. And the most important thing is if the product suits you, that is where the companies needs to cover as broad customerbase as possible for optimal success.

Santuzzo likes this.