Line 6 PODHD Screamer overdrive is really really good

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by GazzaBloom, Apr 9, 2015.

1. GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom Member

With all the debate on modelling accuracy, IRs, POD vs Kemper vs Eleven Rack vs Axe FX, I think the wonderful job Line 6 did with modelling the Tubescreamer with their Screamer model is overlooked.

I love this modelled pedal in my PODHD500X, it's really really good. I wish the other drives and distortions were better but the Screamer is bang on the money for me.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  2. marshall2288

marshall2288 Member

It's really really good. You can dial in any classic TS sound with ease.

3. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

i use HD500 screamer model as a boost in front of the amp and it does sound really good. No overcomression artifacts, no excessive mud, fat, liquid sustain.

4. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

The tube driver is my favorite m series drive in front of a clean ish physical amp so far. It's modeled on the Butler tube driver I think. Never owned a real one to compare, but I've considered picking one up based on that model.

5. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

and btw, fuzzes also sound pretty cool in front of the amp. big muff, octave fuzz - quite authentic.

6. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I'm demoing the HD500 for the first time in quite a bit and I'm actually digging the Line 6 drive in front of the Deluxe amp quite a bit.

7. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

I've said this several times before, and I'm sure some of you are sick of me saying this, but...

Back then I paid a whole lot of money for an Analogman True Vintage Mod TS-808. I was sold on the NOS "mojo" parts and marketing. At that time, I already had an m13, and when I brought the two to a gig, I put the m13 screamer and 808 to the test.

The m13 was every bit as good as the 808. No, it was better, because it had a bass control. At that time I was shocked, because I was of the "analog is the best. best, best, best" camp, but the shock quickly turned to relief, because I knew I could get $200+ back by flipping 808 back on TGP.

I will say that I love the m13 fuzzes, especially how they will not change from differing weather conditions. I will also say that the Rat model is very, very good and comparable to the freakshow rabbit I have. My favorite of all is the boost comp. Really brings out the character of an amp, but introduces some compression/limiting for some sweet tone.

8. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

Many of the drive models are excellent. The RAT, Tube Driver, Fuzz Face and Muff are all solid.

You'll never convince someone who dropped $250 for one overdrive pedal that a $500 digital device gives his flavor-of-the-moment boutique pedal a run for it's money, but that doesn't really concern me.

I had a good selection of those very pedals before I acquired the HD500. Most of them turned out to be redundant, and in many cases, the HD500 sounded better and was more flexible.

9. bugzapper

bugzapper Member

I've gotten good mileage from all of these models, and agree completely.

To the best of my (limited) knowledge, Line 6 is the only modeling company that does a good Rat model.

10. moonblack

moonblack Member

i love comp in fx100 but curious which one same model with pod hd.
    any one know?

11. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

The RAT and Screamer are great stacked...Screamer into the RAT. The RAT is actually quite transparent and works well as a medium-gain drive. The Screamer in front adds some mid focus and compression, as well as gain.

Great combo.

12. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

I've also had sensational results stacking the Tube Drive, Tube Comp, and Boost Comp. Really excellent going into the Fender Deluxe model (whatever it is called).

13. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I've A/B'ed a number of the Line 6 effects effects (drives, delays and modulation) against their real world counterparts and could not hear a difference. In particular, 've never understood the complaints about their dirt sims, since those are, for the most parts, relatively simple devices to model and should be the most accurate.

14. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

I'm sure it depends on how you're using it, but I really like the sound of Zoom's RAT with the drive very low into their JCM800 with the drive very low as well. All of the Zoom stuff has a lot of gain, so "very low" is likely medium on the real world equivalent. I can stack those two and still get a sound that will clean up with the volume knob, but have a good bit of bite and sustain wide open with my tele. Into other sims on the Zoom, I don't like the RAT nearly as much, but that combo is nice.

15. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I like the Tube Drive in the Line 6 stuff better than any drive pedal I've ever used.

The Screamer is very good, too, though.

16. Semitone

Semitone Member

I have an HD500 and have tried a number of Rat clones and models over the years. My favorite is the Digitech iStomp Rodent model. I definitely prefer that over the line6. I had a RP500 but never had the chance to A/B with the iStomp. Drives are also amp dependent and I find my ears definitely prefer a Rat into a Marshall type amp and a Tubescreamer into a Fender, in general. Of course, guitar, pickups...all add there nuances, but for me the basic combos (Rat/ Marshall), ( Tubescreamer/Fender) are great places to start, either tube or modeled.

17. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I think the bigger secret may be that a TS style pedal is actually a very simple thing to model as IMHO every modeler I've ever tried does a very good job at it...

18. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

L6 always had a great TS. That's why it's ok for them to bring those old models out with new hardware.

BTW, the Zoom TS that you buy for the MS-100BT is also great. So is there version of the OCD, Sweet Honey, and Mesa Boogie pedals.

The iStomp TS is very good too.

19. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

That was the best drive in the box when i had my hd500.

turn the mid control ccw for fuzz with big bass and cw for ds-1. somewhere in the middle is where it sounds best

20. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

Line 6 did quite a great job with fx that were labelled as L6 originals - it seems like they tried to improve on common classic designs, stuff like L6 Drive, Vetta comp, Vetta wah.