Line 6 Powercab 112 And Powercab 112 Plus!!!

MIJLOVER

I ordered the plus last week, but when it arrived it turned out the shop had send me the regular :(:mad: Talk about beeing disappointed!

It shipped back today, and I've asked for a refund instead of the them sending me the +. I'll get it later in the year and from a different shop!

So, I'm just gonna read up on your experiences in the meantime :)

vtgearhead

Gold Supporting Member
Which other FRFRs have u used with helix with success? Im sick of amp hunting. I just got the helix today (upgraded from HX effects) and its unreal and I have yet to dive into amps and cabs. Ive been thinking clean amp but the more I read about FRFR and helix, I can have pretty much have a variety of sounds and not be married ro a particular tube or speaker. Any advice would be helpful. Would definitely want an active FRFR and something thats not enormous as it would mostly be played at home

I am happy with my Atomic CLR Neo. But, it's definitely the high-priced spread!

I have been spending a LOT of time with Powercab Plus, I'm a Helix user. I'm finding that no matter how I use it, it sounds great, after getting it dialed in for a particular use case. Whether I use Helix stock cabs, Helix loaded IRs, Powercab speaker models, Powercab loaded IRs, Powercab Flat/FRFR, or Powercab Flat/LF Flat. They all sound great, but each method takes some tweaking.

With my jazz box I like Powercab Flat/FRFR with no cabs or IRs. With my P90 electric I'm liking Helix stock cabs and Powercab Flat/LF Flat. That is not saying the other methods sound bad, these are just the methods I am liking, right now, today.

I don't particularly like IRs or the whole IR rabbit hole, but I am very curious about the LRS Powercab IRs and have had them in my cart for two weeks, debating whether to give them a try.

I've compared the Powercab side by side with a DXR12. I like the Powercab better.

All that said just to repeat this old worn out cliche, "It's all about what works for you".

I don't understand someone's comment about being worried about fizz. If there is any fizz, it's not coming from the Powercab, that is for sure.

I don't understand someone's comment about being confused because one person says the speaker models are the best and another person saying IRs make it sound more real.

Again, what sounds "best" or "more real" is what sounds best or more real TO YOU.

The great thing about Powercab is, first, it is a good sounding speaker and cab on it's own. On top of that, it gives you all the possible options to use it the way that works best for you and sounds best to you. And you can do all of that per Preset or Snapshot or Stomp, because it's remote controllable.

I love it.

68Injunhed

Im confused. Are you referring to the 6 loaded speaker cab sims in the cab plus? I thought what made it sound more real was the IRs you can load

Yes, I'm referring to the speaker modeling. Using the speaker modeling you basically get a sealed 1x12 cab with the ability to hot swap speakers to match the amp model you are using. Sounds like using an amp, not a mic'd cabinet.

Lt_Core

How does the PowerCab and PowerCab+ work with high-gain amp models on the Helix? My favorite real-world amp that I've been gigging with for the past couple of years is an EVH 5150 iii 50w head and 2x12 cab. I wonder if the PowerCab can model some of that awesome low-end thump of a high-gain amp/cab setup.

Jamesdom

How does the PowerCab and PowerCab+ work with high-gain amp models on the Helix? My favorite real-world amp that I've been gigging with for the past couple of years is an EVH 5150 iii 50w head and 2x12 cab. I wonder if the PowerCab can model some of that awesome low-end thump of a high-gain amp/cab setup.

You'll get pretty close tone wise, especially if the speakers you have in your cab are included in the speaker models in the powercab, but the fact that powercab is physically a 1x12 cab means it will not move as much air as a 2x12. I love my powercab but for high gain I am used to a 4x12 cab behind me which moves a ton of air so it doesn't quite do it for me in that regard.

maxnew40

I am seriously thinking I want a Powercab Plus, but not being able to control the speaker mode via the Line 6 link and the Helix is making me think I should wait and see if they implement it in firmware for the Powercab plus. I am hesitant to buy something based on a hinted at upgrade to functionality.

Has Line 6 stated that they will implement control via Line 6 link?

I am seriously thinking I want a Powercab Plus, but not being able to control the speaker mode via the Line 6 link and the Helix is making me think I should wait and see if they implement it in firmware for the Powercab plus. I am hesitant to buy something based on a hinted at upgrade to functionality.

Has Line 6 stated that they will implement control via Line 6 link?

You would do that rather than just use a MIDI cable?

I haven't seen where anyone from Line 6 has said it outloud.

There are, however, these two excerpts from the Powercab manual:

If using the L6 LINK or AES connection from your modeler, additionally connect from the Powercab 112 Plus unit's L6 LINK Output to the L6 LINK Input of a 2nd Powercab 112 Plus unit. This allows audio and remote control data to be sent to each Powercab 112 Plus device independently.

18. L6 LINK, AES/EBU IN - L6 LINK provides easy digital audio
connectivity and remote control capability between Helix and
Powercab 112 Plus devices. Alternatively, digitally connect your
amp modeler that supports AES using an AES/EBU (110Ω XLR)
cable. (See "L6 LINK" on page 11.

maxnew40

You would do that rather than just use a MIDI cable?

I haven't seen where anyone from Line 6 has said it outloud.

There are, however, these two excerpts from the Powercab manual:

If using the L6 LINK or AES connection from your modeler, additionally connect from the Powercab 112 Plus unit's L6 LINK Output to the L6 LINK Input of a 2nd Powercab 112 Plus unit. This allows audio and remote control data to be sent to each Powercab 112 Plus device independently.

18. L6 LINK, AES/EBU IN - L6 LINK provides easy digital audio
connectivity and remote control capability between Helix and
Powercab 112 Plus devices. Alternatively, digitally connect your
amp modeler that supports AES using an AES/EBU (110Ω XLR)
cable. (See "L6 LINK" on page 11.

I prefer to use the Line 6 link for digital audio out to my existing L2 speaker and had hoped the Powercab would connect the same way and offer some level of control for the speaker settings. I might still pull the trigger but I would probably be best served by waiting to see if this gets implemented before buying one.

I prefer to use the Line 6 link for digital audio out to my existing L2 speaker and had hoped the Powercab would connect the same way and offer some level of control for the speaker settings. I might still pull the trigger but I would probably be best served by waiting to see if this gets implemented before buying one.

I also prefer digital audio over L6 Link. And that is what I use from Helix to Powercab Plus.

Until remote control over L6 Link becomes a reality, I'll also use a MIDI cable for remote control. When it does, I can lose the MIDI cable.

I just didn't get why you would deny yourself all the other benefits of the Powercab just because it doesn't do remote control over L6 Link, yet.

It's all good. All the best on your quest.

Nik73

@dpgreek - if you can afford it then buy the Plus. For home use it's able to stream USB audio, you can run both speaker models and other things in full FRFR mode. And the big one for me is the LF Flat mode is only available with the PC +. Between that mode and the speaker models you'll have so many great options you'll be amazed. That is the simplest way to use cabs/IRs I have found. I've now used mine that way with the Helix, Axe III and Firebox. I can get great tones in seconds - whereas FRFR mode requires more tweaking to the high end than I like spending. Just turn off any hi/lo cuts and bump up the treble a bit on the amp model to compensate. No different than dialing in any other amp at that point.

Dave (or anyone else who can help), I’ve been finding the same thing with my Helix using speaker models for new presets and some old after just dropping the cab block. Then using FRFR mode for the rest. Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Everything sounds great.
I got my Axe FX 3 today and I’m very, very impressed with it, but with the factory presets it sounds pretty bad using any of the FRFR modes, especially flat. Far too much bottom end and really muffled. I swapped back to my studio monitors and it’s much better, but hard to going back from the amp in the room sound of the power cab, even in FRFR mode.
Disabling the cab modelling in the Axe FX and using the best match speaker model on the power cab sounded absolutely glorious without any tweaking, so I was wondering if there’s something I need to change in the Axe FX settings to get FRFR on the powercab sounding better?

Cheers.

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
Dave (or anyone else who can help), I’ve been finding the same thing with my Helix using speaker models for new presets and some old after just dropping the cab block. Then using FRFR mode for the rest. Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Everything sounds great.
I got my Axe FX 3 today and I’m very, very impressed with it, but with the factory presets it sounds pretty bad using any of the FRFR modes, especially flat. Far too much bottom end and really muffled. I swapped back to my studio monitors and it’s much better, but hard to going back from the amp in the room sound of the power cab, even in FRFR mode.
Disabling the cab modelling in the Axe FX and using the best match speaker model on the power cab sounded absolutely glorious without any tweaking, so I was wondering if there’s something I need to change in the Axe FX settings to get FRFR on the powercab sounding better?

Cheers.

Do you have the Plus or the Standard? What sort of tones are you going after? I'm having pretty great success with the LF Flat mode on the Plus. But I do tweak the amp controls on the preset (as needed) and I also turn off any EQ blocks/hi/lo cuts so I'm only working with the amp model and IR itself.

That's why I like using that mode - it makes far more sense to me than all this careful tweaking of EQs to make FRFR work. I haven't even hooked my III up to a computer yet - but next time I'll try to and maybe share a patch I'm using with my Powercab.

dpgreek

Gold Supporting Member

Cheers.

So run powercab frfr, use ir in powercab and disable cab block in helix and only use amp model?

Nik73

Do you have the Plus or the Standard? What sort of tones are you going after? I'm having pretty great success with the LF Flat mode on the Plus. But I do tweak the amp controls on the preset (as needed) and I also turn off any EQ blocks/hi/lo cuts so I'm only working with the amp model and IR itself.

That's why I like using that mode - it makes far more sense to me than all this careful tweaking of EQs to make FRFR work. I haven't even hooked my III up to a computer yet - but next time I'll try to and maybe share a patch I'm using with my Powercab.

It was just for the factory presets on the axe really as I’ve heard good things about them.
I found using the power cab with the helix in frfr mode that a lot of the factory presets and ones I’d bought sounded better than through the studio monitors I was using, but not wildly different. This was without any tweaking.

With the axe, the factory presets sound very different through the powercab in frfr and pretty bad to be honest. I used the studio monitors and they do sound good, but you lose that in the room sound of the powercab.
I’m new to fractal stuff, so was just wondering if there was some output setting hidden somewhere.

Like I said, I tried just disabling cab emulation in the axe fx and using the speaker modelling of the powercab with the factory presets and it sounded incredible with zero tweaking again.
Trying this method with the helix didn’t work half as well.

Just differences in the hardware I guess. I’ll give your method a try though, cheers.

Nik73

So run powercab frfr, use ir in powercab and disable cab block in helix and only use amp model?

Not sure what you mean. I’m talking about the axe fx 3 and the factory presets.
I’m more than happy with the tones just by disabling the cab modelling in the axe and using the speaker modelling of the powercab. I was just wondering why the factory presets didn’t sound good in frfr mode compared to studio monitors, when they were ok with the helix.

Last edited:

Top Bottom