Line 6 Roto-Machine. Might have to break the piggy bank open.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BMF Effects, Nov 8, 2005.

1. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Got to try one out over the weekend and I have to say I was really impressed, especially at that price. Plus you know it's okay when the wife says,

"That sounds great. I think you should buy it right now."

All three Leslie settings offered very useable sounds. The tap ramp up and down is a nice feature. Stereo in as well as stereo out however running it in stereo at GC never occurred to me, doh! The downside? The Tone Core pedals are really quite ugly. The knobs seemed a little flimsy. Other than that, well worth the money and I would definitely choose the Roto-Machine over the high-end boutique Leslie simulators. To quote the salesman at GC,

"Dude, that pedal is really rockin'!"

:dude

2. RickB

RickB Member

I just got one and I guess I need to spend some more time with it. I also have to hook it up in stereo. But I have not been able to make it sound good or usable just yet. Eveything either sounds too dirty or muffled to me. Where in your chain should this thing go? I have only tried it last.

3. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

Hi,
    I also tried out 3 of the new ToneCores at GC last weekend, and the one I really liked was the Roto-Machine. The ramp function is great fun, and lots of useable options. But, like BMF, I think it's ugly, huge and heavy; enough so that those factors might prevent me from buying.

4. BMF Effects

When you get frustrated and decide that you hate it, let me know. :D

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I am majorly impressed with it. I did have one here and checked it out. I am on the fence pending what TC does with the G-System; I don't want to have a pedal on the floor other than the G-System floorboard.

But I dug the tones.

I have played through real Leslies and honestly, this was the best facsimile I have heard yet.

6. LilSteve

LilSteve Member

None of them do the slow speed well...how many of you have a H&K and are replacing it with RotoMachine?

Never should have sold my 820 Leslie...:jo

7. loveanddag

loveanddag Member

I went to GC over the weekend too with the intention of buying a rotomachine. I played it and it sounded too muffled and dirty to me as well. Also, they didnt let me use a power supply so the battery ran down in about 5 minutes. Luckily they had an older rotosphere there that my friends there got me for the exact same price ($120). I obviously ended up with that. I was so much more impressed with the rotoshpere. its cooler looking, more impressive sounding and i can impress my non-gearhead guitar player friends with the fact that it has a tube in it.

anyways, the rotomachine sounded kinda muffled and muddy to me.

8. BMF Effects

I thought the Roto-Machine did a great job with the low tones. I kicked it down to the low speed with the Drive knob all the way up and just went :eek: and that was at a low volume in mono. I can't even imagine what loud stereo would be like.

Like I said, I'll be more than happy to take a used one off somebody's hands when the honeymoon is over.

"Roto-Machine...guitarist tested and wife approved!"

9. slimjw

slimjw Member

This may be a dumb question, but which setting are you guys who don't like the RM playing on? I picked one up this weekend as well and haven't been able to give it a lot of time yet, but when I first plugged it in it was on the middle leslie setting (which is based on a fender vibratone L16 with only a rotating drum, no horn) and I thought it sounded really dull and bad. I kept switching between the RM and the clean 70's twin I was demoing it on and could really tell the difference in fidelity. However, when I chose either the 145 or 122 models there were more highs on tap as well as nice bass and mids. I'm just wondering if the folks who aren't liking it are trying it on the other two settings, which sound much better to my ear.

I don't know if it was on this forum or HC, but I was reading that some people were wanting to use them for keys, hoping that the leslie sim would be better than whatever clonewheel unit they had. I tried one at GC through a new Hammond VK3 and the RM sounded absolutely godawful in comparison to the Hammond's onboard leslie sim which I already think is really weak. I'm not sure why this is. All I could figure was that the RM is voiced for guitar? Maybe there's more to it than that, or maybe I didn't have it setup right but it was not sounding good in front of that keyboard at all. It was like the Hammond was going through a bumble bee filter with a crappy approximation of a Leslie on it. Very thin and raspy. Keyboard players proceed with caution.

I still have to put it through it's paces, so the jury's still out, but so far, so good. The one thing I think it has over some of the other pedals is vibe. Especially on the 122 and 145 models.

10. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

I just picked up my RM, and I'm very impressed with it at all settings. I'm not sure what the rest of you guys are hearing. :p

The only thing that sucks royally is that it goes through batteries in about 10 min, as someone else noted. So I need to get the right cable to power this thing using my Juicebox. I've been looking here:

http://www.stompin-ground.com/products/sgcablepp2.htm#mini

Can anyone tell me exactly what I need? It's a little unclear (to me anyway).

Thanks,

Jeff

11. RickB

RickB Member

Where in the chain do you put this thing? Before reverb or after? I still haven't had the time to check it out some more. But when I did, I just got a lot of lo-fi, dirt out of it. Nothing like the samples on the site. I know I should spend more time with it before saying that but I am just curious as to how others are using it with good results. Especially in stereo.

12. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Does anyone think it can compete with a H&K Rotosphere? Or is it two different leagues still?

Is it built really cheaply? Is that a woodgrain-like sticker on the top of it?

I would put it later in the effects chain. But I also probably wouldn't be using any other effects with it. I don't know it would work that well with others, except maybe some overdrive...but it has overdrive built into it anyhow.

Also curious how the Boss RT-20 will be in comparison.

13. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I am probalby going to buy all of the ToneCore pedals I don't have that the stores I am going to this weekend have. I'll start with one of each model. If I really like it, I'll go back and buy another one for one of my secondary rigs.

[​IMG]

TheGrooveking:D

14. Vettavillenl

Vettavillenl Member

For pwering tonecores you'll an isolated pwer supply for each tonecore like the PP2

more here
    http://www.vettaville.nl/vvtonecore.htm

15. jcshirke

I've got it sorted out now. Thanks. (For the record, I use an ADL Juicebox II)

Note, though, that the new Tonecores are tip negative, not tip positive (as I believe your website says. Please correct me, though, if I misunderstood your web site). So, standard 2.1 mm barrels, tip negative, powered at 9 v DC will do the trick.

Here's one thing I don't think has been mentioned in this thread yet, however. If you are going to daisy chain more than one Tonecore pedal together, be prepared for some hum. *Even if both pedals are on isolated power outlets*, there will still be hum. So, as far as I can tell, it must simply be the result of passing signal through more than one pedal. If you only run one pedal, then there's no hum. The hum isn't terrible, but I find it annoying nonetheless.

Jeff

16. RickB

RickB Member

The new ones are the same as the old ones as far as I know. Meaning that they are all powered the same way and can be run off of the regular cables from a PP2 or the like.

Where did you read that the powering of them has changed?

17. jcshirke

Vettaville says that Tonecore pedals are tip positive. They're not. They're tip negative. So, most likely, nothing at all has changed. I was just assuming that what I read on the Vettaville page was correct--but it's not. Go here:

http://www.vettaville.nl/vvtonecoremodularity.html#3

Quoting from that page: "In the case of the Tonecore pedals this means that the center is negative and the tip is positive. See the picture below."

So, yes, a PP2 will power them, no problem. Again, it's a regular, tip negative, 2.1 mm barrel, 9 v DC.

Jeff

18. TBone

TBone Member

Hi Jeff,

I was at the Arlington Guitar Show last month and was told that the Line 6 effects pedals are digital and require an isolated channel per effect. So daisy chaining would not be recommended. Analog pedals are typically a little more forgiving sharing an iso channel.

Glad to hear you're a JuiceBox user. After a long trip back, the new JBX-003 has just been released at Pedalgear.net along with the various power cables if you have trouble locating the ones you need.

Good luck with your rig -
    TBone

19. jcshirke

Hi TBone,

Even if each pedal is on an isolated outlet, you'll still get hum. Example: I've got my Rotomachine and Liqua-Flange both getting power from the Juicebox on independent outlets. If I want to connect both pedals in serial like this: Guitar-->Roto-->Liqua-Flange-->amp, I'll get hum. So, it doesn't matter that each pedal is drawing power on its own outlet.

Line 6 has suggestions (based on certain artists' sounds) for connecting Tonecore pedals together in series, but I think they're on crack. It just doesn't work without underlying hum. Two pedals in series is tolerable (barely, if you're a tone freak), but I'd imagine any more than two that wouldn't be.

And thanks for the heads up about the Juicebox 3. Much appreciated!

Jeff

20. Vettavillenl

Vettavillenl Member

Hi Jeff,

Actually the page info is right, the center is negative and the tip (outside ring) is positive.

As noted before you'll need a isolated powersupply on each pedal to power the tonecore(s).

I need to upload the upload a picture as you noted out. I'll do that later today.

Thanks
    Hans