Line 6 Roto Machine vs. Korg G4

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jaimoe, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Jaimoe

Jaimoe Member

So, I spent some time with the Line 6 this weekend.

I was excited about the prospect of having more real estate available on my pedal board as I was considering retiring my Korg G4.

Not so quick guys.

The Roto Machine can't hold a candle to that large brown box of magic. I mean I really, really wanted to like the Line 6, but tone rules here and the Korg isn't leaving.

Example. Ramp up on both is great and the faster settings on both (ala Warren Haynes) are pretty much a draw. However, I use the Korg for it's beautiful swirls. It's got a complex sound. You can hear it rotating. Big swirls. Can't even get the Line 6 to compare.

Line 6 even gives sample settings in the manuel for BADGE and refer to their L16 Vibratone for a reference tone. BADGE was originally recorded into a Leslie 122. Switch to their 122 setting, and the swirls are minimal at least.

Did like the 145 setting, but still miss that upper horn twirl. That Leslie never had one.

So...anyone else compare the two?

:dude

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

You get what you pay for. Like I said over at guitargeek, cheaper pedals have a minimum of applications while expensive ones can be used in a wide variety.

Obviously there are glaring exceptions, but this is a general rule of thumb

3. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

Thanks Jamie. I almost dumped the big box. Guess I'll hold onto my G4 just a bit longer. Do you find a volume drop with your G4 when engaged?

4. tfire

tfire Member

I have the same goal. I'm hoping the Boss RT-20 will be as good as the G4.

5. drolling

drolling Member

No volume drop here (in fact, more gain than I'll ever need on the 'drive' side) but that non-adjustable noise gate's always bugged me. I do find myself digging in a little more when the effect's on, in a futile attempt to stop the automatic cut-off that happens as the notes decay.

Stickin with it, tho'- and I'd really like to try it with the EH polyphonic octave generator.

6. CBeeper

I can get it to boost a little with the drive on but without it it seems to swallow my signal. Guess I'll just keep the drive up!

7. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

But for someone who doesn't have a Korg G4 already, is the Roto Machine even close?

The Korg G4 goes for $325+ used. The Roto Machine is $119 new and is much smaller while still having a good amount of tweakability. If the sound is even close, it seems like a great pedal for someone who doesn't want to spring the bigger bucks for a Korg G4 or H&K Rotosphere.

8. Jaimoe

Jaimoe Member

Just noticed your post.

I experience a bit of dip also but I just turn up the gain knob and that evens things out.

Played them both again last night and the winner and still champion is the Korg.

Swirl, swirl, swirl.

:dude

9. CBeeper

It's a great pedal I just wish I could shrink it a bit. It takes up 1/4 of my board! Jamie, are you still running the /13?

10. 88keys

88keys Member

not sure if the roto machine has changed since last reviewed but I did a side-by-side comparison -first of all, let's get one thing straight -a leslie was designed for ORGANS, not guitars -the guitar does not have the sustain or range to accurately test many of a leslie's characteristics - I'm not saying it's not okay to use a guitar with a leslie, you just can't do a complete evaluation of a leslie simulator on an instrument it was never primarily designed to be used with -now before I discuss the test -I own a 122 leslie and a 147 leslie and a Hammond A100 and a Nord C2 organ (considered by many to have THE BEST leslie simulator, bar none) and a Nord Electro -I've owned several B3 simulator keyboards (both Korg C3 vintages) in the past -I have owned the H & K Rotosphere and the Voce spin -I have played Hammond for decades and I know what a leslie is supposed to sound like -for the test I compared the Nords, the line 6 and the korg G4 -the ONLY simulator that really failed to deliver the goods in the mono setting was the much OVERHYPED G4 -it has a very poor warbly upper register (which guitars won't readily reveal) and has a disturbing vibrato in both the upper and lower registers -the Line 6 added some artifacts that attempt to add the coloration of a Leslie cabinet -not present in the Nord simulators but actually useful for a synth Hammond rendition -I didn't expect the Line 6 to be better than the G4 but it clearly was better by a long shot -the leslie in the more recent Korg C3 was superior to the G4 but guitarists would not be able to test something inside a "clonewheel" -okay, if you like the G4 on your guitar that's fine but on a hammond, it doesn't live up to the hype found on these posts -remember, a leslie and a hammond is like "peanut butter and jam," a marriage made in heaven whereas a leslie and a guitar is like "peanut butter and onion" -interesting, but only in small doses and nothing of the caliber of the former comparison --happy swirling everyone!

11. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I wasn't a fan of the Roto-Machine at all. My LEAST FAVORITE of all the Leslie effects I owned.

In order, from worst to best:

Behringer Rotary Machine(POS)
    Line 6 Roto-Machine (yuck)
    Option5 DRS (ok)
    DLS Rotosim (not bad at all)
    H&K Rotosphere (NOW we're talking!)

I have never played a G4, they are hard to find... and even finding a demo of one is near impossible. But I've heard nothing but raves. Would love to hear from people who own the G4 who have also played the Rotosphere and/or Ventilator.

12. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Interesting thread, I found the DLS to be the worst and most unnatural sounding of the leslie sims I've tried. The rotosphere was nice but loud and kind of thin, the boss is great but large and I hate the noise gate that cuts off your decay when playing lightly. I actually like the line6 quite a bit. I'd say the boss is a bit more three D sounding but the rotomachine is small and sounds very very good for the price.

13. Gretsch47

Gretsch47 Supporting Member

I think the Tech21 Roto-Choir is a pretty good representation for the money. Simple as heck, small footprint, 9v and about 150.00 used...any opinions out there?

14. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

You're the only person in history who has accused the Rotosphere of being thin... everyone else says it's too boomy (and I would agree). You can of course dial in either "thin" or "boomy" with the balance knob, but it is very tricky to find the sweet spot.

15. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

When I say thin I mean scooped in the mids. To me a leslie adds this upper mid honk that was missing with the rotosphere, you either get boomy low end or really bright high end, but never the right mid push to my ears anyway. The rotosim had the mids but the swirl just didn't feel right and there was this weird 20 or 25 MS delay in the signal that drove me nuts I noticed that with their chorus too. Pity as I love the echo tap.

16. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Ah. Well I would agree it has fewer mids than say the Lex, which if you like a mid honk that cannot be dialed out, be sure to check out the lex- it's got the best mid honk of the bunch, imo.

What I didn't like about the Rotosim was, every time I switched speeds I also felt the need to adjust the horn/rotor mix, which is too much twiddling for my taste. Otherwise, it's very good.

I think part of th reason I like the Rotosphere is that it has fewer mids (I don't think they are scooped, I think other leslie sim mids are boosted), and the RS blended much better with my rig and tone than the others, which sounded like I layered a pedal on top of everything... more "Added to" my tone that "becoming one with" my tone, I guess.

I haven't tried the Vent, and won't. I'm perfectly happy with the RS. But the Lex is an amazing pedal too- I just preferred the RS.

However, I AM interested in the new Hammond Leslie pedal supposedly coming out in April, street $400.