Line 6 should make a HX-M9

Prince

Silver Supporting Member
Line 6: you have the technology, you can rebuild him!

Now the Helix is getting me all hot and bothered as with Bias FX I've gotten into amp modeling a lot lately. I love the flexibility and variety it offers. And since the M9 was my first big boy effect pedal, I've never been opposed to modeling as a whole. Legions of M9 users have been yearning for an updated M9 for years now, as it kills in the form factor, but the effects could be improved. It has awesome delays and reverbs & I'm betting the new HX models are even better. It is a very pedalboard friendly effects only solution that can easily be integrated into a (predominately) analog pedal/amp rig. Now that Line 6 has their HX platform, will they possibly give us the M9 we've all dreamed of!?! Besides for Youtube demos, I haven't even heard the HX effects in person yet, so I'm just assuming they are better than the M9's decade old algorithms.

What I would like to see:
-short:
-Basically the M9, but with the Helix's HX effects & interface, and some better routing & programming options!

-Long:
-Topside:
-Helix's interface: LCD screen would have to be smaller, but same interface & less (than Helix's) knobs but knobs better than the M9's lil crappy joysticks.
-6-8 switches. 6 for effects, 1 for tuner, 1 for looper, or the two "bonus switches" programmable for looper, tuner, scene change, or expression pedal/parameters doubling. Kind of like the JHV3 mods in a sense.
-eliminate the two switch tap method for access to tuner, scene change, settings, etc.
-touch sensitive footswitches & hands free editing that the Helix has
-longer looper time (Helix is capable of 120 seconds correct?)
-looper has same six switch layout as M9 w half speed & reverse included
-Master output volume knob like Helix
-each effect footswitch capable of either a) saving multiple effects to one switch or b) secondary/doubling of effect values. B) would be like how the Amplifire you can save two effects per switch, or how I use my M9, where with a fixed expression pedal switch, you can basically have two different types of the same effect saved.

-Inputs&Outputs:
-Power Switch!
-Capable of 4 cable method for pre/post routing
-2 exp ports & midi still
-Headphones jack (optional, since most folks use the M9 in an analog rig)

-Ideal: editing software to get crazy.

So basically a stripped down Helix; no amp/cab modeling, no IR's, no on board expression pedal, no Variax or super crazy routing options.
Street value $500-600.

celticelk

Personally, I'd still want all of the effects loops. I have a bunch of specialized looping devices that I'd want to patch in separately for maximum routing flexibility. Otherwise, I'm on board with this idea.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
And add that it will also be a full-functioning midi-controller, and I'd be first in line for one.

NHBluesMan

Personally, I'd still want all of the effects loops. I have a bunch of specialized looping devices that I'd want to patch in separately for maximum routing flexibility. Otherwise, I'm on board with this idea.
one of the few things i really didn't like about the M9 was the lack of effects loop. Could've utilized it for so much more if I could have re-routed some of the effects

Prince

Silver Supporting Member
Well in my OP, I said capable of 4 cable method, implying there being and fx loop for pre/post routing. There is just no way they could conceivably fit all of the ins and outs of the Helix on an M9 sized package!

Yep. Plus add to that better analog audio parts and analog dry through functionality as the Strymon Timeline offers.

I would be even more interested in a "HX M5" however. I love my M5 (see my demo below), but I would really like if it had analog dry through, plus
  • two more footswitches; like A. Bypass (hold for special functions like turning up delay feedback would be cool); B. Tap Tempo (hold for tuner); C./D. Preset up/down (hold to scroll). This in a EHX POG2 sized box would be great ... Footswitches in the 4 corners, big display in the middle
  • better overall audio quality
  • a looper would also be cool. Like, press two footswitches together to enter looper mode. With the M9 functionality (half/double speed, reverse, undo/redo, ability to re-start a running loop)
  • also, additional and improved models would be cool. "classics" like the tube echo and the auto volume echo should stay unaltered, but better Univibe and Leslie algos (like Helix seems to have) would be appreciated. Plus add POG style polyphonic octaver, EHX Freeze-style something, even better: Freeze plus leslie for organ pads, reverse reverb, Seek wah with individual setting of the 8 steps, bitcrusher with LFO modulation of bitrate

celticelk

Well in my OP, I said capable of 4 cable method, implying there being and fx loop for pre/post routing. There is just no way they could conceivably fit all of the ins and outs of the Helix on an M9 sized package!
My application would rely on having all of those loops. I'm much more interested in that than in having a unit the size of the M9. Maybe an M13-size version that keeps the loops and MIDI, but eliminates the XLR, SPDIF and L6 link I/O? (I assume those would also be absent in an M9-sized version.)

Godspeed64

Wishful thinking, but their rate of refreshing their products is incredibly dreadful; this can be attributed to a long shelf-life but you can also say that their innovation is purely on the UI with the same rehashing of tones again and again and again.

atson67

Yep. Plus add to that better analog audio parts and analog dry through functionality as the Strymon Timeline offers.

I would be even more interested in a "HX M5" however. I love my M5 (see my demo below), but I would really like if it had analog dry through, plus
  • two more footswitches; like A. Bypass (hold for special functions like turning up delay feedback would be cool); B. Tap Tempo (hold for tuner); C./D. Preset up/down (hold to scroll). This in a EHX POG2 sized box would be great ... Footswitches in the 4 corners, big display in the middle
  • better overall audio quality
  • a looper would also be cool. Like, press two footswitches together to enter looper mode. With the M9 functionality (half/double speed, reverse, undo/redo, ability to re-start a running loop)
  • also, additional and improved models would be cool. "classics" like the tube echo and the auto volume echo should stay unaltered, but better Univibe and Leslie algos (like Helix seems to have) would be appreciated. Plus add POG style polyphonic octaver, EHX Freeze-style something, even better: Freeze plus leslie for organ pads, reverse reverb, Seek wah with individual setting of the 8 steps, bitcrusher with LFO modulation of bitrate
Sorry to abbreviate- which pedal looper are you using?

Tmidiman

I'm sure it will happen on some level. I can belived Helix will be the last thing they ever make, nor would they take the new effects and not milk them for all its worth.

They'll have something new at every winter NAMM so keep your eyes open.

Tmidiman

Wishful thinking, but their rate of refreshing their products is incredibly dreadful; this can be attributed to a long shelf-life but you can also say that their innovation is purely on the UI with the same rehashing of tones again and again and again.
Which should mean multiple spin-offs from Helix.

jota

Independent volume controls for each output (left & right) and it could replace my Nova System.

PerFusionist

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I definitely think they'll be expanding their line with this new engine. I would expect at least something around the size/functionality of the M9.

This sort of comment seems to pop up in every Line 6 thread. What exactly do you want/expect of them? They've evolved steadily through the years and have products that are used from dive bars to arenas. I mean, the Helix isn't even out yet (although it sounds like a huge leap forward in power, tone, and functionality). I guess I just don't get the automatic hate :dunno

Godspeed64

Yeah, I definitely think they'll be expanding their line with this new engine. I would expect at least something around the size/functionality of the M9.

This sort of comment seems to pop up in every Line 6 thread. What exactly do you want/expect of them? They've evolved steadily through the years and have products that are used from dive bars to arenas. I mean, the Helix isn't even out yet (although it sounds like a huge leap forward in power, tone, and functionality). I guess I just don't get the automatic hate :dunno
No hate, even though my band Atlas had 3 constantly spoilt M5's on stage (including mine).

My comment is based on the extreme shelf life of the 4 series (DL-4 for example), the Tone Cores, and their multi-effects (HD, POD, M). For example the POD effects were repackaged into the recently released Amplifi, of which I own the Desktop version. The same sounds have been used across 3-4 generations of effects, sometimes at a deprovement (Auto Volume on DL versus M, flanger options on the liqua flange completely phased out on the M). FYI the dealer here still has stocks for the 4 and tone core series.

I agree that they have had a huge number of releases over the years, but I standby the fact that they are repackaged constantly for varying purposes in a different UI for each. It's like giving 3 different angles on the same object, where people of varying needs can find the reasons to purchase the same end product.

IMO the most exciting item they have made for my needs (in the pedal arena to integrate into a pedalboard), is the pattern trem update for the M-series. Nothing past the M-series has been made for the pedalboard integrating people, and that's in 2008 - a solid 7-years - building the same M5s that come faulty from the factory up till now. Even the Helix is a solid release but not in this field, thereby extending the drought until a possible "HX".

Last edited:

ColonelForbin

Can anyone confirm if some or all of the FX models in the Helix are NOT new "HX" models, but rather ported from the 'M-Series' effects? There was a lot of speculation before Helix released, that everything in Helix was new; the amp and cab models definitely are - but if I understand correctly, the effects are the M-Series, ported into Helix - which sound better due to the processor upgrade on Helix, rather than being new models..?... No biggie; I still use (and Love!) my M9 with my 'regular' pedalboard; and I've not actually taken the time to compare them side by side..

EDIT. I am guessing some/most/all? of these MUST be new "HX" effects! I compared the M9/M13 list to the Helix effects list; there are some overlaps, but plenty of new models too... There is definitely no Klon or OCD in the M9 right? Definitely curious if there is some overlap; I know not to expect an official answer :)

One thing I did find interesting; some of the "based on" changed.. For example, in the M9 the '63 spring reverb says it's based on a "1963 brown spring reverb head unit", whereas the Helix '63 spring reverb says it's "Line6 original"...IN fact, the Helix list shows all of the reverbs as just being 'Line6 original'; whereas the M9 list gives a bit more detail / descriptive narrative. Others got name changes; the delay model based on the Maestro Echoplex EP-3 changes from being called "Tape Echo" on M9 to "Transistor Tape" in Helix. "Analog w/mod" on M9 = "Elephant Man" on Helix (Deluxe Memory Man)..

M9 model list:
http://line6.com/m13/images/m13_modelgallery02.pdf

Helix FX list: (not sure if this is current or 100% accurate?)
http://line6.com/data/6/0a06439cc32f55b13d5d8e678/application/pdf

Last edited:

Trending Topics