Line 6 StageScape Setup

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jbealsmusic, Jan 23, 2012.

1. jbealsmusic

jbealsmusic Member

Mixer

Powered Speakers

IMO, this really is revolutionary technology. They weren't kidding with their announcement. As long as we don't see dreaded "DSP limit" and have QC issues, it will certainly change the game for a lot of bands, churches, and other music venues.

2. dpeterson

dpeterson Member

no i think it really is. to the average band playing bars, this is killer, no more sound guy getting paid to sit there and smoke weed.

dp

3. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

Live Sound thread. But, I think it rocks! IPAD tweakable, no snake!

4. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I think tech wise, this is fantastic.
    Among other projects, I play in few bar bands that deals with unpleasant sound situations that I'm sure are shared by many others.
    I can't come close to being able to afford that system w/ mains & monitors but I'll be happy to see similar tech making it's way into the product lines of other companies.

I frequently work on the other side of the board too for bar bands & corporate wedding gigs.
    If your sound engineer is not doing the job they should be, fire that bastard.
    If it's a house sound tech that just wants to smoke weed, trick him into caring w/ the offer of a joint AFTER he makes the band sound great.
    :dunno

5. jbealsmusic

jbealsmusic Member

Oooh yeah. Didn't think of that. I just thought "Line 6? Digital modeling." Didn't even hit me to think about the product type... That just shows how programmed I am.

Any chance a mod could move it to the appropriate forum?

6. lenster

lenster Member

I will buy this for sure, likely to cost me 10k+ in OZ , but i think its fantastic tech.
    2 FOH , 2 Mon , 2 subs + stage scape mixer.
    Band use or i can grab 1 speaker for guitar jams with 11R or grab i speaker and 1 sub for a solo acoustic gig.
    Sensational. If this sounds as good as i think it will , i'm on it.
    Well done Line 6.

7. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Maybe :)

8. lspaulsp

I did mention in another thread that this could be a double edged sword. Delay, chorus, and sweep on every channel. Non sound people could really trash things in the mix.

This one heck of an idea. I love it because everyone else has to stand up and take notice. Not like L6 hasn't done that before.

This is a GIANT step FORWARD!

9. 335guy

335guy Member

Pretty cool, but expensive.

10. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

I would love to have this. Especially for my 3pc band. But at $2500 street price it is way out of my reach.

WAY OUT!!

Cmon Line 6, Simmer Down Now!

11. MusicESP

MusicESP Member

Let me preface by saying that I work for a Line 6 dealer, so I'm not exactly an unbiased observer.

I will say that my band will be one of the first owners of the coming Stagescape mixer and speakers. For us, it just makes sense. When I calculate all of the items that we can replace with this mixer/Speaker combo, we'll have enough funds to make the purchase. Current gear we can sell to help pay for the new gear:

1 x Current Band Mixer
    4 x Vocal Processors
    2 x FX Units
    2 x DriveRack PA+
    2 x Power Amps
    2 x Passive Mains
    1 x Rolling Mixer Case (Our backs will love to see this one go)
    1 x Mackie HD24 Digital Recorder (The Line 6 mixer can record each channel plus the main outs to SD/USB)
    Various converters for recording and snakes

Selling this gear will easily pay for the Line 6 Mixer. We'll need to add a few bucks to upgrade our mains to the Line 6 speakers, but we feel it will be worth it.

Instead of rolling into the gig with our huge Gator Rack, we'll walk in with a small case holding the Line 6 mixer. Our sound guy already has an IPAD, so he'll be set to do the mixing anywhere in the room. Without the long cables mind you.

The simplicity is great, but you're not locked into that, there are much deeper levels of editing in the Line 6 mixer, just like many of the other digital mixers. out there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  12. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

Only 12 mic inputs and 4 aux outs with no way to expand. Interface looks pretty, but is layered too deep to get to important functions in a speedy fashion. $2,500.00 puts it in direct competition with the PreSonus SL, Yamaha 01V96, and APB ProRack. I know what I'd rather have.

I like some of the concepts, but I have my doubts about execution. However, this is not marketed towards me. I'm also sceptical of build quality and reliability. We'll see though.

13. lspaulsp

Board $2500
    2 Mains $3000
    2 Subs $2000
    2 Monitors $3000
    Total $10,500 WOW! Luv the concept not the price.

14. EchoFilter

EchoFilter Member

I was on Sweetwater.com the other day and saw that they have the L3m speakers for $1000 and the L3t speakers for $1200. I looked at the specs and didn't see a difference in the two other than the price. Did I miss something? Anyone...anyone...Beuller?

15. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

The L3m doesn't have the EQ and effects strip that the L3t does.

Makes the mains much more affordable (400 bucks savings for a pair).

16. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Compare that to:
    2x QSC K12 - $1600
    1x Danley TH115 Powered version - $3000ish
    1x Studio Live 24.4 - $2500
    2x QSC K10 - $1500

Total: $8600, and that system would destroy the Line6 in volume and power and it's a real mixing solution that can do a full band, record to firewire, and provide a decent number of Auxes.

The L6 speakers seem alright, but the desk is a very major fail for all but blues playing lawyers.

17. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

Since you've never really heard the Line 6 system, I'd say that's a little presumptuous.

Replace the L3t with the L3m and you've shaved 800 bucks off, assuming 2 mains and 2 monitors.

EDIT:

Unfair comparison. The L6 system has a pair of subs included (a pair of K-Subs puts you over 10,500). And the power of the L3(x) units is 1,400 watts a piece. The K12s are 1,000.

Plus, the feature sets are not comparable. You can't network your system, for starters.

Not a fanboy...just statin' the facts.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  18. EchoFilter

EchoFilter Member

Actually if you go to Sweetwater.com, they have the StageSource L3s (subs) for $1200 each. The StageSource L3m's are $1000 each. And the StageScape M20d (mixer) is $2500. So for $10900 you could get:

L3s x 2 = $2400
    L3m x 6 (2 mains and 4 monitors) = $6000
    M20d = $2500

Not too shabby if you ask me.

19. EchoFilter

EchoFilter Member

20. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Yes, and my scenario has a freakin DANLEY. Fairly widely recognized as one of the best best single 18 subs ever made.

Anyway, you're right and the line6 stuff might be really good. My point was more that it's expensive.