Line 6 Strikes Again

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tildeslash, Jul 21, 2006.

1. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Ha! I love boutique pedals, but you can't beat the innovative ideas that the big time guys are constantly coming up with!

3. alphadynamic

alphadynamic Member

Nice, perfect product for the person new to recording, or a touring player.
    As part of my day-job i'm in and out of studios all the time, and the one piece of gear common to most places is the POD. I remember when it first came out, and a dealer came down to the studio to show us it. We were all blown away.
    However, I had the misfortune of using one of the vetta amps at a gig, YUCK... I met the UK demonstrator, who told me he uses line 6 product all the time live .... yea, but through a mesa power amp!!!

4. raz

raz Member

I dunno...it seems to me that this will only interest someone who doesn't already have some modeling gear or at least some recording capability. You'd have to be starting from nothing. Anybody who already has a Pod of some sort and a sound card in their computer is going to get more for their money by just picking up a decent small keyboard, dontcha think?

Given the limits of the thing, I'm obviously not going to trade in my XT Live, my Behringer V-Amp Pro, or my Roland RS 9. But it's not targeted at me. The question is, are there enough folks out there who'd be interested in this but don't currently have any capability for recording to their computer?

5. PRSkeeto

PRSkeeto Member

I recently sold my original POD to move up (or so I assumed) to the two channel Toneport UX2. Needless to say, I was left utterly unimpressed by that box. I found that all the guitar amp sims were basically the same, just with different preset EQ shapes and amounts of gain available. I thought all of them were lifeless and buzzy. They sounded and felt nothing like the POD, let alone the amps they modeled, to me. Same goes for the mic pre's. and bass amps. It seems like they disguise the tone with fx or compression to approximate certain styles, the "Motown" or whatever they called it vocal preset comes to mind.

I really like Line 6, and up until this unit I had always thought they were pushing the envelope as far as modeling goes. However, this experience leads me to believe Line 6 is saving the good stuff for their more expensive gear. I have yet to try out a POD XT or any of the recent amps by them, but at this point I'm just going to go find me a POD again. The kb37 looks good on paper, but I'd be leary.

6. Electric I

Electric I Member

It's too bad line6 hasn't learned the quality over quantity lesson yet.

7. POD Buster

POD Buster Member

Line 6 stuff is too gimicky IMHO. I don't use anything that requires scrolling through menus...tweak, save, recall....tweak, save, recall. That's for computer geeks, not musicians. "Ooops my guitar doesn't work because my hard drive crashed". or "Oh crap! You'll have to do without a guitar player tonight because I left my USB cable at home." :jo

Give me just a few chicken head knobs and glowing tubes and I'm set.:dude

8. echo unit

echo unit Member

Instead of coming out with new stuff, Line 6 should be fixing the hiss and noise problems of the Tonecore pedals.

Lin 6 has thier adgenda competely backwards

9. Sugar Lime Blue

Sugar Lime Blue Member

Uh huh thats for sure....they are tone vampires. :Spank

10. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

Line 6 and other companies work on if it looks good, ricky stupid will be blown away by it and love the sound, cus it look nice it has to sound great. So yes they should be fixing the problems which are always occuring rather than bring out new products.

Aj

11. echo unit

echo unit Member

I sent Line 6 customer support two messages via thier contact page on the Line 6 website over a week ago regarding the hiss issues with the Echo Park delay units.

I have recieved no response from them.

I don't understand how a company that treats customer support this way can exist in times like these where we have other big companies like Boss/Roland and Digitach making very solid products with great customer support?

And the service that most of the small run/hand made boutique pedal makers have is beyond amazing in almost every case.

I just don't get how Line 6 can exist in a pedal market like the one we have?

12. echo unit

echo unit Member

I don't know man. Kids these days are pretty savy with the internet and all. I've seen and heard lots of young kids that know what's really going on. They know that the music the TV and the FM radio stations sends them is bogus.

I don't think Line 6 can pull the wool over the eyes of younger generations of musicians these days and I believe that Line 6's marketing and business approach is reflive of the sales of the Tonecore pedals.

Look on ebay right now and do a search for Line 6 or Echo Park.

There must be more used Line 6 gear on ebay than any other manufacturer of modern effects equipment. There are like 20 or more Echo Parks on there. To me that means the product needs to be looked at again to see why so many people want to get rid of them.

13. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator Member

I would venture to say that half of the people that buy Line 6 stuff are not happy with it. I have owned a few Line 6 amps and have enjoyed them. I have also accepted the fact that it's great gear for the studio or bedroom, but it's no good live. If you can live with that fact, then you'll most likely be amused.

14. Vettavillenl

Vettavillenl Member

Since Line 6 is the third amp manufacturer in the world, by reasoning like that 1/3 of the amp buying customers makes mistake after mistake. I think we guitarist are a little bit more clever than that.

The normal way to get a response from Line 6 is to use FAQTRAQ, on normal working days you should get an answer within 48 hours. You can also call them.

There's a lot of changes involved with not only the KB37 buit also the Gerabox software. If you're trying to make sense out of it. You can read the different items here.

http://www.vettaville.nl/vvtoneport.html

15. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

The can't keep an innovative, customer-pleasing company down. You can't keep Line 6 down either.

16. landru64

landru64 Member

i had the occasion to have an inside look there recently. i think they think that they have an exclusive on good tone. i think they are culturally like apple has been for a long time (maybe not anymore)... breathing their own exhaust, believing their own b.s., but ultimately in deep b.s.

i recently recorded with my pritchard amp and they insisted there be a separate feed thru the studio's POD. the POD sounded nasty. i mean downright WRONG. the pritchard (thru the DI out) sounded, well, like a well miked amp. i can't understand why people use pods...

17. George Jetson

George Jetson Member

Then I guess all of the sound guys and other guitar players who complement the patches I set up in my Ax212 are just humoring me... :rolleyes: I'm not a fan of big monolithic corporate entities either, but that doesn't mean that the gear is all trash. Some of it is, but you can say that about any mass-market producer though.

Modelling amps DO take more effort than spinning a few chicken head knobs then plug and play. What you get in return for your effort is portability, consistency, flexibility and variety. I guess it all depends on what you are looking to get out of your gear.:YinYang

18. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

I used an Ax212 for several years live. A sound guy at a local festival expressed it best when he commented after our show "It sounds perfect, but it doesn't sound real".